Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing first year pharmacy and in order to pass into the next year we have to get at least 70% on a calculations exam.
    The thing is, even though I revised by going through the answers I get wrong and re-doing past sheets in practice exam conditions, I still failed it each of the three times because of my generalized anxiety disorder. I haven't gotten anything below a B in the other exams and can manage the calculation techniques in other, more relaxed settings, even without a calculator, but when it comes to twenty questions in an hour without a calculator, my mind just melts down.
    Being an international student, I can't attend or even afford the full fees to travel back here and pay for the resit in August that I'll possibly fail as well. As the course doesn't allow for years to be repeated, I'm obviously already on the way out, but I don't want to be because I love this course so much and have obviously put the work in for it. On the mock version of it, I first got 5/20, on the first real attempt, I got 10/20 and on the latest go I've gotten 11/20, so this does reflect that I did put some effort into improving.

Their logic for implementing the exam in question doesn't really work for me, as given that I'm aiming to be an army pharmacist, I won't be doing the pre-reg year or even the pre-reg exam with its calculations test, so I'm hoping to mention this to add weight to my argument.

For the moment, I've thought of going to the disability service, showing them the doctor's note, and seeing if they can help. I'll also email my tutor about it.

What do you also suggest I do ? And realistically, what can I expect ? How lenient can I expect them to be ?
    If things go the normal way and this was the nail in the coffin for me, then I have no other choice than army.
    Any recommendations are appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WakeUpDead)
    I am doing first year pharmacy and in order to pass into the next year we have to get at least 70% on a calculations exam.
    The thing is, even though I revised by going through the answers I get wrong and re-doing past sheets in practice exam conditions, I still failed it each of the three times because of my generalized anxiety disorder. I haven't gotten anything below a B in the other exams and can manage the calculation techniques in other, more relaxed settings, even without a calculator, but when it comes to twenty questions in an hour without a calculator, my mind just melts down.
    Being an international student, I can't attend or even afford the full fees to travel back here and pay for the resit in August that I'll possibly fail as well. As the course doesn't allow for years to be repeated, I'm obviously already on the way out, but I don't want to be because I love this course so much and have obviously put the work in for it. On the mock version of it, I first got 5/20, on the first real attempt, I got 10/20 and on the latest go I've gotten 11/20, so this does reflect that I did put some effort into improving.

Their logic for implementing the exam in question doesn't really work for me, as given that I'm aiming to be an army pharmacist, I won't be doing the pre-reg year or even the pre-reg exam with its calculations test, so I'm hoping to mention this to add weight to my argument.

For the moment, I've thought of going to the disability service, showing them the doctor's note, and seeing if they can help. I'll also email my tutor about it.

What do you also suggest I do ? And realistically, what can I expect ? How lenient can I expect them to be ?
    If things go the normal way and this was the nail in the coffin for me, then I have no other choice than army.
    Any recommendations are appreciated.
    Hmmm this is a tricky one. The calculation exam is really important and if you do not pass it now, it may be difficult passing harder calculations later on. Plus, you cannot realistically claim to be a pharmacist if you cannot do those dose calculations. I think you should get a, official doctors diagnosis for your condition because without that, it really just looks like an excuse. About telling them you want to go into the army, I do not think it will change anything because there is no guarantee that you wont change your mind later on. The only solution I can think of is your student union. That is what they are there for. Take your situation to them and they should be able to deal with it accordingly, maybe even negotiate with your department on your behalf. Goodluck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.