Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title is pretty self explanatory.

ReputationRep:
    Open mouth, and volia
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Defo warm up, and make sure to try a range of genres. Sing at a pitch that feels natural, don't strain your voice to go sop try and find somebody who knows what they're doing to help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky628)
    Open mouth, and volia
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Defo warm up, and make sure to try a range of genres. Sing at a pitch that feels natural, don't strain your voice to go sop try and find somebody who knows what they're doing to help you
    Ah, you say try a range of genres. The thing I was wondering was is a singing voice one you should be able to use for various genres or a limited amount? Like, I think can sing slow-medium paced songs all right but then I seem to have to change my voice to sing fast pop songs for whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I've trained in musical theatre for agggeessss, so am relatively experienced in trying to find your voice. I would really recommend practising with someone that is accomplished in singing already. Preferably, this would be a 1:1 singing teacher (I can't even tell you how grateful I am for the singing teachers that I have worked with over the years - having lessons makes a huge difference), but less pricey options could include joining a choir or going to a music club. If you want to learn a specific style or skill, you can ask your teacher to help you with this or go to a club that is focused around what you want to learn (e.g. go to a folk club if you want to learn to sing folk). I think the most important thing that to do when you're starting out is to just go for it. It really is okay if you don't sound fantastic straight away. If you stress about how you sound, you'll end up missing out on the point completely - to have fun and express yourself. It's like any skill, you might not be perfect straight away, but if you train hard enough you can improve. As/if you get more serious about it, you might want to push yourself a bit harder, but at the beginning just experience the excitement of learning something new. All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Ah, you say try a range of genres. The thing I was wondering was is a singing voice one you should be able to use for various genres or a limited amount? Like, I think can sing slow-medium paced songs all right but then I seem to have to change my voice to sing fast pop songs for whatever.
    That's natural, but just do what you enjoy and feel comfortable doing. It may not sound the same at different paces, and people tend to unconsciously imitate the original singer if it's a song you know

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.