Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have the following data

I have to plot ln k versus 1/T

The temperature has to be in kelvin, so whatever the temp is in that table add 273.15

Apparently plotting lnk versus 1/T gives a line with R^2 = 1 therefore all these points lie on a straight line.

My question is how would you go about plotting this graph. What I mean is what type of accuracy would you use to plot the x and and y values? Do you have to use same accuracy for both x and y? Does it matter what accuracy you use would you still get a straight line with R^2 value of 1?

Have to plot this on standard graph paper.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Convert to ln k and 1/T and plot the points on your graphing calculator to get a feel of the graph. Idk what you mean by accuracy, I didn't think of that when I plotted it and it went well. (We did it in Chemistry, arrhenius equation)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    Convert to ln k and 1/T and plot the points on your graphing calculator to get a feel of the graph. Idk what you mean by accuracy, I didn't think of that when I plotted it and it went well. (We did it in Chemistry, arrhenius equation)
    I don't have a graphic calculator.

I mean if you work out the values of x and y they are in long decimals in both cases. I'm asking what accuracy should you use because u can't plot exact values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khanpatel321)

I mean if you work out the values of x and y they are in long decimals in both cases. I'm asking what accuracy should you use because u can't plot exact values.
    2 or significant figures, because the the level of accuracy given in the question is 3 s.f.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    2 or significant figures, because the the level of accuracy given in the question is 3 s.f.
    This is from the mark scheme.

If R^2 = 1 , does this mean the gradient calculated from any two points on the line will be the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khanpatel321)
    This is from the mark scheme.

If R^2 = 1 , does this mean the gradient calculated from any two points on the line will be the same?
    Usually, you try and taking the "biggest triangle" to find the gradient. i.e: don't pick two points close to each other. Pick them far apart.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.