Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I know as a friend if my friend is in an abusive relationship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    She's very quiet at the moment and last time I saw her boyfriend she was crying and he was pushing her along the road.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you already know

Something soesnt seem right.
    Im guessing shes not usually quiet?
    And of he cared bout her he wouldnt have been pushing her down the road when she was crying.
    I think hes upset her and hes angry with her because he didnt get his way.
    But try to talk to her or someone close to her (except the boyfriend) to see if anything is going on.
    But try to help her get out of it because its bringing her down!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask her first, ask her other friends etc and see what they know about his behaviour. Chances are she'll be very reluctant to admit she's in an abusive relationship if she is. This behaviour alone is unacceptable. Keep an eye on her, please. Keep an eye on her boyfriend. If you see him pushing her again, tell the police.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, tell here that you are her friend. Whatever she is going through she can always tell you and you'll help her. Maybe she will open up.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who was in an abusive relationship, I'd suggest being there for her but not directly confronting her. My ex was very manipulative and if people tried that he was able to twist it around and basically make them out to not be my friends because they didn't want me to be happy and said they were trying to split us up. I found myself very alone and I lost a lot of friends, but fortunately when it counted the majority of them were right there a year and a half later and they helped to build me back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    Speaking as someone who was in an abusive relationship, I'd suggest being there for her but not directly confronting her. My ex was very manipulative and if people tried that he was able to twist it around and basically make them out to not be my friends because they didn't want me to be happy and said they were trying to split us up. I found myself very alone and I lost a lot of friends, but fortunately when it counted the majority of them were right there a year and a half later and they helped to build me back up.
    I was going to say the same thing. My ex twisted things to make it seem as if my friends were being manipulative and that my ex was the one doing the right thing. Don't directly confront her, just be there for her and support her.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think its just common sense. You know her before so compare her behaviour to what its like now. Having an argument even over an extended periods is perfectly normal, its when you get a complete change over an extended period that you need to reconsider. its not really for you to interfere, but as said abobe just be here for her.

Abuse can be physical or mental or a mix of both. If you reman her friend then if she continues to be unhappy, she should open up to you and hopefully see whats best for her. be careful about interfering becayse its her life and you could end up making her take sides, which delats when she will realise she wants out. The ebidence you have at the moment is pretty patchy. Why not invite her out just her or along with some of her other friends?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.