Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I applied for the wrong uni's?! help me please :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And the wrong uni...I know it sounds bad.
    So basically, at the beginning I was very uninterested in going to uni, so I applied for uni's that I didn't really know much about in terms of my grades etc... And my school just made us do our UCAS fast, so I applied without even thinking. :/ (I know sounds bad). But no I actually want to go uni as I think it's my only option (I want to do film production/making). And the one uni I actually really wanted to go to that I applied for didn't accept me

So I have my firm choice in mind, and I am happy with it except I don't think I will have the grades to get in. And my insurance choice is not somewhere I want to go. I have done research on uni's that I would like to go to because it fits my course perfectly, but I don't know what to do? Should I call up UCAS? or should I call up the uni's? Should I just wait until clearing? I am so stressed and I seriously need help/advice.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by loveleest)
    And the wrong uni...I know it sounds bad.
    So basically, at the beginning I was very uninterested in going to uni, so I applied for uni's that I didn't really know much about in terms of my grades etc... And my school just made us do our UCAS fast, so I applied without even thinking. :/ (I know sounds bad). But no I actually want to go uni as I think it's my only option (I want to do film production/making). And the one uni I actually really wanted to go to that I applied for didn't accept me

So I have my firm choice in mind, and I am happy with it except I don't think I will have the grades to get in. And my insurance choice is not somewhere I want to go. I have done research on uni's that I would like to go to because it fits my course perfectly, but I don't know what to do? Should I call up UCAS? or should I call up the uni's? Should I just wait until clearing? I am so stressed and I seriously need help/advice.
    How unlikely do you feel it is you will meet your firm choice? Are then any unis with places left in extra that you would be happier or as happy going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    How unlikely do you feel it is you will meet your firm choice? Are then any unis with places left in extra that you would be happier or as happy going to?
    I don't know, I haven't checked any uni's for spaces. I have about 3 uni's in mind so far.
    And I think it might be a little unlikely but it depends on my upcoming interview and my portfolio more than my grades I think with the course I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Clearing or Adjustment?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I don't know, I haven't checked any uni's for spaces. I have about 3 uni's in mind so far.
    And I think it might be a little unlikely but it depends on my upcoming interview and my portfolio more than my grades I think with the course I want to do.
    I d say wait to make a decision until after the interview. Unis dont always update the course search immediately but apparently there are still around 80 films related courses with places left including some foundation years so i dont think you need to panic yet http://search.ucas.com/search/provid...&flt6=2&flt8=2 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Clearing or Adjustment?
    But clearing is not until July and apparently you are not always guaranteed a space
    What is adjustment?

ReputationRep:
    But clearing is not until July and apparently you are not always guaranteed a space
    I got 3 offers through clearing two summers ago. It's not as bad people think it is, you will get a place if you phone up a bunch of different places during clearing. Trust me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I d say wait to make a decision until after the interview. Unis dont always update the course search immediately but apparently there are still around 80 films related courses with places left including some foundation years so i dont think you need to panic yet http://search.ucas.com/search/provid...&flt6=2&flt8=2 .
    Oh okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    I got 3 offers through clearing two summers ago. It's not as bad people think it is, you will get a place if you phone up a bunch of different places during clearing. Trust me
    oh haha, thank you

ReputationRep:
    oh haha, thank you
    Adjustment is where you have met and exceeded the offer of your firm choice. So if the offer is ABB and you get AAA, you can 'Adjust' up into a place that offers that. You can find out more information on the UCAS website, speaking of which you should phone them up and tell them what's up and they'll be able to help you better

Glad I could help

ReputationRep:
    What is adjustment?
    Adjustment isn't available until after A Level results day and is only available to students who exceed their firm offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Adjustment isn't available until after A Level results day and is only available to students who exceed their firm offer
    Oh okay

ReputationRep:
    Which Uni's are they

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reinaadira)
    Which Uni's are they
    Are you talking about my firm/insurance choice or the ones I wish I applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about my firm/insurance choice or the ones I wish I applied for?
    well all of them if you don't mind saying
    are the content of the courses significantly different from uni to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reinaadira)
    well all of them if you don't mind saying
    are the content of the courses significantly different from uni to uni
    For my firm choice- Nottingham trent
    Insurance- Southampton Solent

I really wanted to go Kingston, but they didn't accept me after the interview. Now I wouldn't mind going to hertfordshire/birmingham/Manchester/Greenwich ... But I didn't apply for any and I feel like I am suffering because of me rushing my application

No they are not...they are basically like the same thing through all uni's

ReputationRep:
    For my firm choice- Nottingham trent
    Insurance- Southampton Solent

I really wanted to go Kingston, but they didn't accept me after the interview. Now I wouldn't mind going to hertfordshire/birmingham/Manchester/Greenwich ... But I didn't apply for any and I feel like I am suffering because of me rushing my application

No they are not...they are basically like the same thing through all uni's
    You could either withdraw your offers now and apply through extra, or wait for results day so you can enter adjustment or clearing

ReputationRep:
    I applied for unis and didn't want to go to them (I didn't research them enough, nor did I look at the course much). I'm now on a gap year, and have got into universities, and courses, that I prefer much more. But, just in case, I did stick with my UCAS and just emailed the uni in September saying I couldn't go there.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a year out
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And working in retail (only jobs you can get with no degree at this age..) makes you want to be at uni, so don't worry about the people who say 'oh, you'll never go to uni if you take a year out'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    You could either withdraw your offers now and apply through extra, or wait for results day so you can enter adjustment or clearing
    Oh okay, which one would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gapyearstudent54)
    I applied for unis and didn't want to go to them (I didn't research them enough, nor did I look at the course much). I'm now on a gap year, and have got into universities, and courses, that I prefer much more. But, just in case, I did stick with my UCAS and just emailed the uni in September saying I couldn't go there.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a year out
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And working in retail (only jobs you can get with no degree at this age..) makes you want to be at uni, so don't worry about the people who say 'oh, you'll never go to uni if you take a year out'
    Taking a year gap is not an option for me, at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.