Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Went to uni hoping to make friends.. still friendless.. forever alone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've made a lot of posts like this (I've had other usernames)

Nothing changes. I'm 24. Still friendless.

I made friends at college, but haven't kept in touch despite having a whatsapp group.. it used to be active but not so much anymore.

Nearly finished year one and I don't think there's anyone I would label a 'friend' here. Just people I know. I don't even go out with them and if I do its as a group, e.g. tutor group, football group.. so a thing that anyone is invited to.

I try not to have expectations.. because expectation is the root of all heartache.. but I did generally hope and expect more than this.

I'm feeling very flat and demotivated by everything at the moment.

:'(

EDIT: haven't really explained much above - I'm a first year uni student.

(Original post by pandaseattoast)
    I've made a lot of posts like this (I've had other usernames)

Nothing changes. I'm 24. Still friendless.

I made friends at college, but haven't kept in touch despite having a whatsapp group.. it used to be active but not so much anymore.

Nearly finished year one and I don't think there's anyone I would label a 'friend' here. Just people I know. I don't even go out with them and if I do its as a group, e.g. tutor group, football group.. so a thing that anyone is invited to.

I try not to have expectations.. because expectation is the root of all heartache.. but I did generally hope and expect more than this.

I'm feeling very flat and demotivated by everything at the moment.

:'(

EDIT: haven't really explained much above - I'm a first year uni student.
    My only advice is to make a real effort - join socs, try to speak to people in lectures, attend events etc. I know it can be really difficult. But once you leave uni it becomes virtually impossible because you're working all the time and in your free time you have no energy and just want to relax at home plus you have housework and things that eat up your 'free time'. It's also incredibly hard to make friends outside of work - so if you have no friends at work (not uncommon!) then it's massively lonely.

It's only since leaving uni that I've realized that it is the best time to make friends. You'll never again been around so many people of a similar age, with similar interests and personalities. It gets so much harder so for your own sake please make an effort now - force yourself to talk to people, attend socs and events. If I could go back in time I would force myself out of my student flat and into socs/sports clubs and force myself to talk to my course mates despite my then crippling shyness.

Life is too short to be lonely - make friends whilst you're young and have free time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice.. it really does sound like good advice.. however it has made me feel a little bit worse due to what i've got to look forward to once I leave, seeing as I am trying so hard now. Since school i've tried so hard. I have joined lots of societies and I do try and get out there. I think alot of it is luck.. such as who you're put in a flat with.. maybe i'm just very unlucky or i'm meant to always be on my own. At home I had learnt to accept it, but at uni I feel so embarrassed by it.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same to be honest. I have one good friend back home, a couple from school I still speak to, but in uni only acquaintances really at the moment. I dread going back there, another empty, pathetic few weeks, and don't see how I can do well in my exams in those circumstances.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.