Turn on thread page Beta

Should teh government crack down on "anti condoms propaganda" ? (poll) watch

ReputationRep:
    The Catholic church currently claims that condoms do not offer protection against HIV and advice people not ot use them, in direct contradiction to all expert recomendations. Many experts has accused the Church of practising pseudo-science and warned that it may cause an increased spread of HIV if people do not use condoms. The church argues that they are doing the world a favour because they advocate abstinence which is more safe than sex with a condom. Critics of the church has argued that people are unlikely to abstain from sex outside of marriage and that the church is merely causing people not to use condoms because they are against contraception on a priori basis.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think they should, for teenagers atleast. Because teenagers are being bombarded with so much conflicting information as it is. The anti-condom message will just confuse them more. By all means talk to them about abstinance but I think that tell teenagers that condoms have holes in them is a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Yes I think they should, for teenagers atleast. Because teenagers are being bombarded with so much conflicting information as it is. The anti-condom message will just confuse them more. By all means talk to them about abstinance but I think that tell teenagers that condoms have holes in them is a bad idea.

i agree. teenagers aren't as cautious as adults and no condoms will definately get one or two of them into a mess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The Catholic church currently claims that condoms do not offer protection against HIV and advice people not ot use them, in direct contradiction to all expert recomendations. Many experts has accused the Church of practising pseudo-science and warned that it may cause an increased spread of HIV if people do not use condoms. The church argues that they are doing the world a favour because they advocate abstinence which is more safe than sex with a condom. Critics of the church has argued that people are unlikely to abstain from sex outside of marriage and that the church is merely causing people not to use condoms because they are against contraception on a priori basis.
    The government shouldn't interfere with religion. If it is against Catholicism to use contraception so be it. All the government can do is publicise the facts about preventing the spead of STIs using contraception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    The government shouldn't interfere with religion. If it is against Catholicism to use contraception so be it. All the government can do is publicise the facts about preventing the spead of STIs using contraception.
    Exactly. Should we crack down on the Muslim church for their points of view? Governments and religion don't mix!

ReputationRep:
    They should do more. They should ban these religious lies from being spread. The catholic church are taking and misusing quotes from scientists to even go so far as to say that condoms have increased the spreading of HIV and AIDS.

It is dangerous and misinforming, and any public speaking giving this false information should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    They should do more. They should ban these religious lies from being spread. The catholic church are taking and misusing quotes from scientists to even go so far as to say that condoms have increased the spreading of HIV and AIDS.

It is dangerous and misinforming, and any public speaking giving this false information should be banned.
    whatever happened to freedom of speach?! You can't say people can't express a belief just because you don't agree with it or even if it is false. Whose to say what's a religious lie and what isn't - where do you draw the line?

ReputationRep:
    whatever happened to freedom of speach?! You can't say people can't express a belief just because you don't agree with it or even if it is false. Whose to say what's a religious lie and what isn't - where do you draw the line?
    I draw the line when the freedom of speech is damaging to society. It is the government's duty to protect its citizens. This "freedom of speech" has been proven wrong by numerous scientific observations. The people in white coats in labs, who have done experiments to check whether they are wrong, are the ones who can fairly say whether it is a lie or not.

You can't say anything to anyone. That's freedom of speech taken too far. There are things like inciting racial hatred that can be called freedom of speech, but is damaging to society and is therefore illegal. This teaching of lies is equally damaging, especially in this case where the lies can lead to the spread of AIDS, and other STIs (and teenage pregnancies).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I draw the line when the freedom of speech is damaging to society. It is the government's duty to protect its citizens. This "freedom of speech" has been proven wrong by numerous scientific observations. The people in white coats in labs, who have done experiments to check whether they are wrong, are the ones who can fairly say whether it is a lie or not.

You can't say anything to anyone. That's freedom of speech taken too far. There are things like inciting racial hatred that can be called freedom of speech, but is damaging to society and is therefore illegal. This teaching of lies is equally damaging, especially in this case where the lies can lead to the spread of AIDS, and other STIs (and teenage pregnancies).
    I just think it's a dangerous line to tread when you start saying that religious leaders should be banned from excericing their beliefs. It seems a bit fascist to me. Many religious beliefs have been exposed as inaccurate by modern science, but does it mean they all should be banned? Shall we ban the story of Genensis or Noah's Ark too? Shall we stop people from worshiping the virgin mary?
    Who's to say one belief is more socially damaging than another?
    What's the moral difference, to use your own example, between inciting racial hatred and trying to prevent religious freedom? Why is one worse than the other in your eyes?

ReputationRep:
    I just think it's a dangerous line to tread when you start saying that religious leaders should be banned from excericing their beliefs. It seems a bit fascist to me. Many religious beliefs have been exposed as inaccurate by modern science, but does it mean they all should be banned? Shall we ban the story of Genensis or Noah's Ark too? Shall we stop people from worshiping the virgin mary?
    Who's to say one belief is more socially damaging than another?
    What's the moral difference, to use your own example, between inciting racial hatred and trying to prevent religious freedom? Why is one worse than the other in your eyes?
    Perhaps even the spreading of these lies - they can cause death! That's pretty serious.

And I'm not being facist - the Catholics can preach all the lies they want as long as it doesn't cause some innocent suggestable teenager to end up with AIDS because they've listened to religious teachings and have not used condoms becuase they were taught condoms don't work.

The facts are that condoms work 99% of the time, that that is a figure rounded down.

Speaking honestly, I hate religion and it all seems like stupid lies to me, but that's not the debate. The debate is whether this religious teaching, which goes directly against experimental evidence, should be allowed to continue, and I don't believe it should.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about man, religious teaching causes death EVERY DAY. You want to ban one thing on that basis, you'll have to ban the lot - and that's what i'm saying - you can't just pick and choose what religious teachings to ban on a whim, it's a minefield.
    Also i think a lot has to be said for the fact that in this country at least, the chance of any teenagers (as that seems to be your main concern) being affected by this is VERY slim.
    If a Catholic teenager followed the religion that devoutly - then they wouldn't be having sex in the first place!
    Teenagers already know the dangers of unprotected sex and it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference to how many are getting pregnant or passing STIs - what makes you think they'll listen to the Pope if they can't even be bothered to listen to the their teacher, parents and whoever else might try to encourage them to have safe sex?

(Original post by mik1a)
    Perhaps even the spreading of these lies - they can cause death! That's pretty serious.

And I'm not being facist - the Catholics can preach all the lies they want as long as it doesn't cause some innocent suggestable teenager to end up with AIDS because they've listened to religious teachings and have not used condoms becuase they were taught condoms don't work.

The facts are that condoms work 99% of the time, that that is a figure rounded down.

Speaking honestly, I hate religion and it all seems like stupid lies to me, but that's not the debate. The debate is whether this religious teaching, which goes directly against experimental evidence, should be allowed to continue, and I don't believe it should.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about man, religious teaching causes death EVERY DAY. You want to ban one thing on that basis, you'll have to ban the lot - and that's what i'm saying - you can't just pick and choose what religious teachings to ban on a whim, it's a minefield.
    Also i think a lot has to be said for the fact that in this country at least, the chance of any teenagers (as that seems to be your main concern) being affected by this is VERY slim.
    If a Catholic teenager followed the religion that devoutly - then they wouldn't be having sex in the first place!
    Teenagers already know the dangers of unprotected sex and it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference to how many are getting pregnant or passing STIs - what makes you think they'll listen to the Pope if they can't even be bothered to listen to the their teacher, parents and whoever else might try to encourage them to have safe sex?
    You see personally I am more worride about the teaching of the catholic church in Africa. Now in some African countries there are huge rates of HIV within the population. In some more rural parts of Africa the only access to heathcare that people can get is from the catholic Nuns. Now when the nuns are telling people that come to them that condoms aren't going to protect them from aids this is a worrying message. This really can cause death on a huge scale. When the Nuns are telling married couples where one partner may have Aids that condoms are a barrier between their love and shouldn't be used this is worrying. I think in areas like this where other information isn't getting through to the population the catholic church shouldn't be allowed to tell people this.

In the UK I understand that the Catholic church doesn't agree with condoms. If they want to they shouldn't be stopped from telling people that their faith says that condoms and any other form of contreception are wronge. However don't think that they should be able to spread the general message that condoms have holes in them so there is no point in useing them. This gives non-catholic teenagers who aren't going to abstain a dangerous message that condoms don't work. In an age where condoms are protecting people from STD's from HIV to Clamydia I think it is important that sexually active teenagers are encouraged to use them. The catholic churchs message will just confuse the Idea the condoms=safer sex.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why Catholics are SO againt it, there must be more important things to worry about than people using a bit of plastic. Either way by not using contraception you are going against the 5th commandment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I don't understand why Catholics are SO againt it, there must be more important things to worry about than people using a bit of plastic. Either way by not using contraception you are going against the 5th commandment.
    That's the point of Catholicism, you're not supposed to understand any of it ... gives it an air of mystery x

ReputationRep:
    That's garbage. You are seriously trying to tell me that the rate of infection is completely independant of sex education?

Besides, you say:

"religious teaching causes death EVERY DAY"

Give me some other examples. And explain why these teaching, which like you say are killing people, are not illegal.

ReputationRep:
    I think the church should not enforce its 'no sex ploicy' until it has consolidated the biblical teachings of christ to the young.
    secondly, RC needs to address the issue of sexual perversion amongst its priests before attacking the wider society!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    I think the church should not enforce its 'no sex ploicy' until it has consolidated the biblical teachings of christ to the young.
    secondly, RC needs to address the issue of sexual perversion amongst its priests before attacking the wider society!!
    Nice one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    That's garbage. You are seriously trying to tell me that the rate of infection is completely independant of sex education?

Besides, you say:

"religious teaching causes death EVERY DAY"

Give me some other examples. And explain why these teaching, which like you say are killing people, are not illegal.
    What I am saying is that young people are fully aware of the dangers of unprotected sex and yet the rate of infection is rocketing. So it would seem that the current way of promoting sex education among young people is inadequate - it's a fact that simply cannot be argued with, the evidence speaks for itself.

ReputationRep:
    What I am saying is that young people are fully aware of the dangers of unprotected sex and yet the rate of infection is rocketing. So it would seem that the current way of promoting sex education among young people is inadequate - it's a fact that simply cannot be argued with, the evidence speaks for itself.
    sorry i didn't see your second question...
    OK religious teachings that cause death can be anything from female circumcision, hunger striking, to just wars, although killing someone or suicide may be illegal the ideology behind it certainly isn't.

ReputationRep:
    or suicide may be illegal
    It isn't illegal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.