The Student Room Group

What are the best revision books and techniques for revising to your GCSEs?

I'm currently in year 8 but I'm starting my GCSE a year earlier. I really want to catch up to get good grades in my exams but I don't really know what books would be good for me (we are doing AQA for nearly everything). I also want to try out new learning techniques so I could do much more better. I know about the CGP books but are they enough for AQA tests?
Original post by Adry3236
I'm currently in year 8 but I'm starting my GCSE a year earlier. I really want to catch up to get good grades in my exams but I don't really know what books would be good for me (we are doing AQA for nearly everything). I also want to try out new learning techniques so I could do much more better. I know about the CGP books but are they enough for AQA tests?

Hey, I'm currently doing my A levels and I'm only on AQA for French, however, I think if you look up 'AQA approved textbooks' it should come up with all the different books and revision guides that the examboard themselves recommend. I used CGP a lot too and they were really helpful :smile:
In terms of techniques, only you will know what works best for you but I'd suggest using flashcards, lists and/or mindmaps, making concise notes (you don't want to be writing huge chunks to revise from, it's not as effective). I would suggest doing a lot of past papers, but that might not be possible if you're doing new courses... ask your teachers for your course details so you're sure on what you need to do to achieve the grades you want. Make sure that when the time comes, you do not overwork yourself, create a revision timetable of some sort and ensure that you take small breaks (i,e 50 mins revising one subject then taking a 10 min break and so on).
Good luck and sorry for the slightly long reply:^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest