Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    I'm currently leading up to my AS geography exam and i am really worrying about my answers for the longer 15 mark questions. Ive just completed a couple of 15 markers and have only been given 10 marks and no more. Its so difficult for me to get more than 10 marks even when i try hard and clearly I've been doing something wrong. I know the content but find it hard to put relevant points in the answer.
    Does anyone have tips or a guideline to follow for me to get full marks on the 15 markers?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm doing the exact same! 17th of May, right? I have recently been able to push up my 12s to 15s (somehow), and I think I have some idea of the structure...but can you reply letting me know what you do already, so I don't waffle on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saidi1999)
    Hello guys,
    I'm currently leading up to my AS geography exam and i am really worrying about my answers for the longer 15 mark questions. Ive just completed a couple of 15 markers and have only been given 10 marks and no more. Its so difficult for me to get more than 10 marks even when i try hard and clearly I've been doing something wrong. I know the content but find it hard to put relevant points in the answer.
    Does anyone have tips or a guideline to follow for me to get full marks on the 15 markers?
    I got full UMS in AS geography and averaged 14/15 in my 15 markers.
    Firstly, highlight the keywords of the question, for example, 'discuss the advantages and disadvantages of soft engineering. Then identify the split of the question as every 15 marker has a split, in this case, advantages and disadvantages. For this question I would personally discuss advantages with a case study in 2 paragraphs, then disadvantages supported by a case study in 2 paragraphs. Then a conclusion to summarise both in 1 short paragraph

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hsukristy)
    Hey there, I'm doing the exact same! 17th of May, right? I have recently been able to push up my 12s to 15s (somehow), and I think I have some idea of the structure...but can you reply letting me know what you do already, so I don't waffle on?
    Hey, sorry for the late reply but yeah I've got exams for geo on the 17th and 20th. What I struggle with the most is maybe where to put the case studies in the 15 markers and how to make it flow. I usually get what the question is asking for but not so much into how I can have level 3 paragraphs. It would help if you just say the structure of the way you do since you are doing well in them!
    Thank you for your help by the way!😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I got full UMS in AS geography and averaged 14/15 in my 15 markers.
    Firstly, highlight the keywords of the question, for example, 'discuss the advantages and disadvantages of soft engineering. Then identify the split of the question as every 15 marker has a split, in this case, advantages and disadvantages. For this question I would personally discuss advantages with a case study in 2 paragraphs, then disadvantages supported by a case study in 2 paragraphs. Then a conclusion to summarise both in 1 short paragraph

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saidi1999)
    Hey, sorry for the late reply but yeah I've got exams for geo on the 17th and 20th. What I struggle with the most is maybe where to put the case studies in the 15 markers and how to make it flow. I usually get what the question is asking for but not so much into how I can have level 3 paragraphs. It would help if you just say the structure of the way you do since you are doing well in them!
    Thank you for your help by the way!😀
    No worries! I'm sure revision takes up a lot of time! I usually identify the command word(s) and about 3/4 key words that basically sum up what the question is asking. Let's just say the question is 'With reference to a case study, suggest the impacts caused by coastal flooding'. So, I make up a very quick structure of how to lay it out (e.g. intro, para 1- social impacts, para 2- economic, para 3- environmental, conclusion). I recommend choosing three themes for the main body as three paragraphs. Within each paragraph, so for example social, I would note down in the margin (where they don't mark) possible impacts. Then in each of your points, give statistics from a case study you have studied to support the point you just made:

e.g. A possible social impact of coastal flooding is that many homes and properties can be flooded and destroyed. In Towyn 1990, over 6,000 caravans were destroyed which led to another social impact - the evacuation of residents ...
    etc etc.

You should aim for about 2 developed points within each theme/paragraph. And repeat this for the other themes.

I hope this helped, sorry for the super long reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hsukristy)
    No worries! I'm sure revision takes up a lot of time! I usually identify the command word(s) and about 3/4 key words that basically sum up what the question is asking. Let's just say the question is 'With reference to a case study, suggest the impacts caused by coastal flooding'. So, I make up a very quick structure of how to lay it out (e.g. intro, para 1- social impacts, para 2- economic, para 3- environmental, conclusion). I recommend choosing three themes for the main body as three paragraphs. Within each paragraph, so for example social, I would note down in the margin (where they don't mark) possible impacts. Then in each of your points, give statistics from a case study you have studied to support the point you just made:

e.g. A possible social impact of coastal flooding is that many homes and properties can be flooded and destroyed. In Towyn 1990, over 6,000 caravans were destroyed which led to another social impact - the evacuation of residents ...
    etc etc.

You should aim for about 2 developed points within each theme/paragraph. And repeat this for the other themes.

I hope this helped, sorry for the super long reply
    Honeslty thank you so much for taking time out of your day to reply to this! I'm much more confident in the structure after reading this and really appreciate it! Thank you!😃

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.