The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatima1998
ontological argument proves god exists
paley's watch proves some sort of evidence...
but its more about your own life experience, if you feel the presence of the God then its your own experience if not then its your own experience :tongue:
i dont really believe in these arguments - i believe what i have experienced.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/teleological-arguments/#DedDesArgSch2

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ontological-arguments/#ObjOntArg

There are some good arguments for God, but these two generally are some of the worst

'Paley's watch.' :toofunny:

Both have been refuted, to my knowledge, although I can't quite remember the refutation for the first of the two.

but its more about your own life experience, if you feel the presence of the God then its your own experience if not then its your own experience :tongue:

Is that why you've cited them? :tongue:

Personal, unverifiable experience doesn't matter when discussing what is objectively true. You were better off with the design argument. :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
I do because surely the universe didn't just 'happen' into being- An effect needs a cause. Something caused the big bang and no Scientist knows what caused it. Therefore I concluded it must've been God. Certain events in my life have also reinforced my belief in god.
Original post by Hydeman
'Paley's watch.' :toofunny:

Both have been refuted, to my knowledge, although I can't quite remember the refutation for the first of the two.

Is that why you've cited them? :tongue:

Personal experience doesn't matter when discussing what is true. You were better off with the design argument. :colone:

i mentioned them because you mentioned some of the arguments denying the existence of god!
for you truth is different and for truth is different - and for me experience DO matter... its my own preference
dont be semi-sarcastic :colone:

Both of those arguments are flawed beyond belief and have been refuted to the high heavens, they most certainly do not prove the existence of any supernatural creator.

To the OP, not as such, no. I embrace the idea of the all-pervading energy of life though.
i mentioned them because you mentioned some of the arguments denying the existence of god!

No, I didn't. :s-smilie: I simply stated that the argument that you had cited had been extensively refuted in the past and that, therefore, it's not reasonable to still present that as proof for beliefs that you have, in all likelihood, inherited from your parents. :wink:

for you truth is different and for truth is different

Nope. When looking at objective issues -- the existence of an all-powerful creator of the universe being one of these -- there's no such thing as 'my truth' or 'your truth.' Simply asserting otherwise won't make it the case.

- and for me experience DO matter... its my own preference

As above, when discussing objective truths, there's no room for the personal. It's incorrect to claim that something must be objectively true because you have a feeling that it is. :tongue: That would be the very definition of subjective.

dont be semi-sarcastic :colone:

I'm not. :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Credo.
There is no intelligent design.

There is no God.

Religion is a bunch of made up **** embraced by people who struggle to cope with reality.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Christianity as a religion gave us more than anything else ever could. A structured, good set of morals, art, literature, law, the church had a hand in Magna Carta, the most amazing architecture in the world, a united population behind one belief, the list is endless.

As I said, I'm still agnostic for the most part, but denying that Christianity has had a good and moral influence on our society is ludicrous.

I dunno... Not necessarily.
Is there any way to compare society with vs. without religion, whilst controlling for confounding factors? I'm not sure there is.
Religion has generally meant repression and control, and inflexibility of thought, as far as I'm aware.
There has to be a God.We humans did not fall from the sky there has to be a beginning for humans to evolve. The
theory of evolution does not make sense and its
a fairytail. There is a god who will judge us based on our action after death.The most intriguing fact is that we all are going to die at some stage why cant we live forever? this is because god has a set a time for you and he will judge you in accordance of your action.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by slipper flipper
our bodies have more flaws than can be counted

http://nautil.us/issue/24/error/top-10-design-flaws-in-the-human-body

hardly what i would call 'intelligent' design.

Aging and cancer.
Brains that can barely comprehend our own bodies or the world and universe we exist within, and that for some reason inherently wants to kill others.
Very intelligent design!
Original post by hellodave5
Aging and cancer.
Brains that can barely comprehend our own bodies or the world and universe we exist within, and that for some reason inherently wants to kill others.
Very intelligent design!

But don't forget 'life is a test' and 'God works in mysterious ways'. :wink:
But don't forget 'life is a test' and 'God works in mysterious ways'. :wink:

:biggrin:

'Life is a test' -> in which case, all evil is paradoxically 'beneficial'.

Things that kill you before you have begun (many things), put a thorn in that side too (good old neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis et al.!). Nothing like the violent and unmitigated baby torture test.
Reply 33
aha.. i do...
world is so complex- everything is well designed and set up perfectly... surely there is someone who did this :yes:

This and many other reasons. :yep:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I embrace the idea of the all-pervading energy of life.

@Hydeman - thoughts?

My immediate reaction was: LOL. Then I thought about it some more, and concluded that he almost said something. Almost.
hell yeah.
@Hydeman - thoughts?

My immediate reaction was: LOL. Then I thought about it some more, and concluded that he almost said something. Almost.

I'd have to know what exactly he means by it to make any meaningful comment.
Original post by Hydeman
I'd have to know what exactly he means by it to make any meaningful comment.

Exactly. :moon:
Yes but i'm not religious
Reply 39
Yea I believe there should be someone (God) who create the whole universe. If not, how can we explain the genesis of universe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending