Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I'm doing my AS-Levels. C12 and Statistics 1 (Edexcel)I'm really bad in maths BUT because Math is required for the degree i'll be doing in university i really need it. I don't have a proper foundation in Maths at ALL. it's really hard to understand for me (obviously some other ppl out there)Which is why i need to start from the scratch. And i'm teaching myself the basics.I want to know which topics in the basic Arithmetic/ basic Maths are important for the high schools Maths.PLEASE HELP TY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanna423)
    Hi,I'm doing my AS-Levels. C12 and Statistics 1 (Edexcel)I'm really bad in maths BUT because Math is required for the degree i'll be doing in university i really need it. I don't have a proper foundation in Maths at ALL. it's really hard to understand for me (obviously some other ppl out there)Which is why i need to start from the scratch. And i'm teaching myself the basics.I want to know which topics in the basic Arithmetic/ basic Maths are important for the high schools Maths.PLEASE HELP TY.
    Start from
    https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic

ReputationRep:
    By far the most important skill is algebra which is neglected in school and many online courses.

Try to focus on that first. Fund questions and of you get stuck, ask here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    By far the most important skill is algebra which is neglected in school and many online courses.

Try to focus on that first. Fund questions and of you get stuck, ask here.
    really? but it's not too difficult one you get the hang of working in terms of unknowns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    really? but it's not too difficult one you get the hang of working in terms of unknowns
    True, but i think this also includes manipulation of equations and fractions, along with unknowns and also powers etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    True, but i think this also includes manipulation of equations and fractions, along with unknowns and also powers etc
    but it's not too difficult???

ReputationRep:
    but it's not too difficult???
    Well no its not, to someone who has done it lots and lots. :yes:
    Thats why practice makes perfect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    Well no its not, to someone who has done it lots and lots. :yes:
    Thats why practice makes perfect!
    momentum pls....

ReputationRep:
    If Algebra were "not too difficult" then I am surprised that it is the single most distinguishing weakness in those who fail to make the highest grades in Core and Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    If Algebra were "not too difficult" then I am surprised that it is the single most distinguishing weakness in those who fail to make the highest grades in Core and Further Maths
    really? they can't do the algebra or they don't know how to apply it but they can use it well?

ReputationRep:
    They are unable to reliably carry out the manipulations leading to the correct answer. Also they miss loads of marks due to the intermediate simplifications in part ii of iii (say) being wrong

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.