Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experiences with sleep paralysis? I have minor incidents from a few years ago. I would wake up at (exactly) 3 AM, every night, for 2 weeks straight. I was able to move, but wouldn't. I didn't have a phone at this time, so would just close my eyes and try to sleep.

Also, just watched this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-UxBLOtRI

Would love to hear other stories.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds disturbing to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezzBerry)
    Anyone have any experiences with sleep paralysis? I have minor incidents from a few years ago. I would wake up at (exactly) 3 AM, every night, for 2 weeks straight. I was able to move, but wouldn't. I didn't have a phone at this time, so would just close my eyes and try to sleep.

Also, just watched this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-UxBLOtRI

Would love to hear other stories.
    Has probably happened to me a total of 10 times throughout my life (maybe more).

First happened when I was like 5 years old (was very scary, but I thought it was a dream once I finally did wake up), then a pretty big gap until around 10/11, another big gap until around 15/16 (happened a few times around here) and then maybe a couple more since.

Minus it happening as a child, I've only ever once been genuinely scared while it was happening. It felt like there was something behind me, yet I couldn't move. Pure fear at that point, if I could pee my pants I probably would have.

Anyway, a bit about it. I wake up, but my eyes remain closed and I can't move at all. Sometimes I wake up and I try to move, its extremely difficult (like my brain sends the signal, takes forever for the action to occur) at which point I know it's about to hit so I just lie in a comfy position (or at least attempt to do it) and drop back to sleep.

I hasn't happened in a couple years and if it was to occur, I wouldn't worry about it and just go back to sleep. I have heard stories where people feel a hand pushing against their chest. Other people see things while they are paralysed.

I don't like reading other stories, tends to scare me a bit

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that I've ever had it (not going to jinx it though!).

However, I did wake up screaming at some point. I was unaware with this, in a room with a friend at the time. Apparently I was screaming stood up by the door. No idea what happened because all I remember is being sat in bed shaking and feeling weird. Then my mum rushed in because it had woken everyone up and she thought someone was trying to kill me.

Interesting story. Must have had a bad dream that night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimum_)
    Has probably happened to me a total of 10 times throughout my life (maybe more).

First happened when I was like 5 years old (was very scary, but I thought it was a dream once I finally did wake up), then a pretty big gap until around 10/11, another big gap until around 15/16 (happened a few times around here) and then maybe a couple more since.

Minus it happening as a child, I've only ever once been genuinely scared while it was happening. It felt like there was something behind me, yet I couldn't move. Pure fear at that point, if I could pee my pants I probably would have.

Anyway, a bit about it. I wake up, but my eyes remain closed and I can't move at all. Sometimes I wake up and I try to move, its extremely difficult (like my brain sends the signal, takes forever for the action to occur) at which point I know it's about to hit so I just lie in a comfy position (or at least attempt to do it) and drop back to sleep.

I hasn't happened in a couple years and if it was to occur, I wouldn't worry about it and just go back to sleep. I have heard stories where people feel a hand pushing against their chest. Other people see things while they are paralysed.

I don't like reading other stories, tends to scare me a bit
    Damn, why you gotta be so descriptive.

I have a friend who tells me the story of his half-brother. Apparently he felt (and saw) something in the room literally scratching his legs. He even showed the scratch marks to his parents. I'm not sure how legitimate this story is, though.

ReputationRep:
    yup, I had two incidences (within the space of a year)
    I had them last year, where I would recently fall asleep into a position which I had been in for a long time.
    I'd be asleep but then my mind would become conscious when i realised that I couldn't move.
    I even had an instance where I knew I was kicking my legs and screaming at my sister to get her attention, but that was of no use because I wasn't kicking my legs and my voice wasn't coming out
    In one of them I also experienced a short dream of like a dark alley but then there was a train storming ahead?
    Really creepy stuff, but it hasn't happened to me ever since.

I'm so glad I don't get them now, i used to find it really distressing

ReputationRep:
    Damn, why you gotta be so descriptive.

I have a friend who tells me the story of his half-brother. Apparently he felt (and saw) something in the room literally scratching his legs. He even showed the scratch marks to his parents. I'm not sure how legitimate this story is, though.
    Haha, if I'm gonna be scared, everyone's gotta be scared.

And that is creepy, I really hope it's a lie.

I think the worst was as a kid, when it happened I'd cry but no tears would come out. I'd scream but nothing would come out. Looking back it's kinda funny but at the time... genuine nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    I have had experiences with this, are you a muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    I have had experiences with this, are you a muslim?
    Why? You going to pull out the Jinn stories?

ReputationRep:
    Why? You going to pull out the Jinn stories?
    read ayatul kursi when you go to bed, I read it every single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    yup, I had two incidences (within the space of a year)
    I had them last year, where I would recently fall asleep into a position which I had been in for a long time.
    I'd be asleep but then my mind would become conscious when i realised that I couldn't move.
    I even had an instance where I knew I was kicking my legs and screaming at my sister to get her attention, but that was of no use because I wasn't kicking my legs and my voice wasn't coming out
    In one of them I also experienced a short dream of like a dark alley but then there was a train storming ahead?
    Really creepy stuff, but it hasn't happened to me ever since.

I'm so glad I don't get them now, i used to find it really distressing
    Jeez, I would hate to be in one of those situations.

I also hate going downstairs alone at night. Always feels like I'm being watched and that I cannot do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't sleep on your back, that's how to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    read ayatul kursi when you go to bed, I read it every single day.
    Care to share your experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, I would hate to be in one of those situations.

I also hate going downstairs alone at night. Always feels like I'm being watched and that I cannot do anything about it.
    did you know you had it at the time? I had no idea what it was and super freaked out. In my house I wake up early in the morning, so i don't feel that kinda fear but that is also creepy. Have you ever had it since?

I've had so many of these it's not even scary anymore, like dead serious if I were to estimate I'd say I've had it like 50+ times in my entire life.

I remember the first time though, I must have been like 9 or 10 I was lying down on the sofa in the dark, facing the cushion trying to sleep. I must have fallen asleep but I didn't realise and felt conscious, albiet very slightly. So I hear a high pitched scream and my initial thought it was my brother trolling me (trust me he's weird), but the scream didn't end and I was scared shitless. Somehow in this process I ended up on my back (maybe I was already on my back) and I tried opening my eyes. It felt as if someone was forcing my eyes shut, a grey, concrete-weighted, veil being pressed against my eyes and chest - preventing me from moving any limb - all of my body was numb. Fearing for my fkn life I start to pray bc I'm thinking that I'm gonna die (it feels like it's gone on for hours but 10 minutes is more realistic). Luckily it went away and I was sweating and panting and I ran to my mum and I started to cry lol.

It's happened like 20334938 tiems after this and now when it happens im just like 'lol' and I don't rrly care anymore bbut it's prob bc i sleep on my back 98% of the time.

ALSO when it happens i legit just read every surah i know and im out

do u know the weirdest feeling ever, it's when ur in sleep paralysis and u just stay there.... (like i dont panic anymore ini), it feels like ur about to die or something idek. Also when you try to move ur limbs but u cant im not even kidding u can feel/hear ur brain impulses working its like a sizzle IDEK

ReputationRep:
    Gurllll these stories are scaring me, like I'm afraid to go to sleep.

This is why I stopped trying to lucid dream because I feared sleep paralysis would happen to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    did you know you had it at the time? I had no idea what it was and super freaked out. In my house I wake up early in the morning, so i don't feel that kinda fear but that is also creepy. Have you ever had it since?
    Sorry, but what are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but what are you talking about?
    Perhaps i wasn't clear D:
    i just asked have you ever had it since
    and
    the feeling of something watching over you sounds creepy.

does that make sense? idk

ReputationRep:
    Care to share your experiences?
    If I tell you, you won't be able to sleep tonight.

ReputationRep:
    If I tell you, you won't be able to sleep tonight.
    Go ahead.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.