Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I started working at this new restaurant a week ago. Initially the manager there hired me on a fixed rate basis, meaning they weren't going to pay me on an hourly basis but rather on how many days a weeks I work.
    I decided to work there because the hours were going to be quite low or thats what the manager who hired me said anyways. But on my first week I worked double the amount of hours he said I was going to do and now when I convert my salary to an hourly basis it comes out as half of the current minimum wage.

I tried to talk to the manager about this but itclearly infuriated him and then he went on about how he didn't like my attitude so he fired me. But I had to work for at least one more week or he wasn't going to give my first weeks wage. Which he was going to keep as a deposit if I had worked there longer and he was only going to give me the deposit if I gave him a two weeks notice when I left the job.
    There are other people who are currently working on a similar wage as I am. But these people are all immigrants to this country like myself. The funny thing is there are two British nationals who work there and are paid twice as much as other people. Although they dont work more hours like other employees. So its clear they are taking advantage of the immigrants.
    So I have been thinking about talking to my local council and the HMRC about this but I don't know if I should. What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jondoe16)
    So I have been thinking about talking to my local council and the HMRC about this but I don't know if I should. What do you guys think?
    He's screwed you over. I would 100% without a second thought.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just double check you're not being paid the minimum wage for your age? It does sound like you're being screwed over though so I would escalate it.

ReputationRep:
    contact ACAS for advice, you will need to report your employer for not paying minimum wage, keep a record of the hours you have worked as you are entitled to minimum wage for those hours, regardless of whether you quit/get fired/agreed a different pay structure... the first step is probably to write a formal letter explaining that you have not been paid minimum wage for X number of hours and that unless you receive full payment at minimum wage by X date then you will take further action against the business...

for the record, in future, this sort of thing should be a red flag, unless you're in a typical job where having a salary rather than hourly rate is expected you should be given a formal rate and he also can't withhold your wages as a 'deposit', even if you don't give notice you are entitled to be paid for any hours worked, you just won't get a good reference

ReputationRep:
    @RachaelBee I am 26 yrs old and they should be paying me £7.20. but I get paid about half of this. Even after paying tax I should get paid at the least £5/hr.
    @doodle_333 The problem is I did agree to work for a fixed amount of money for a fixed number of days in a week. What I am annoyed about is that I was lied about the number of hours I would be working. I am more so angry with myself for being so naive.

What's clear is that these guys are taking advantage of the immigrant work force. Most people who work there are either Asians or from Eastern Europe, who hasn't been in this country for too long. Before I talked to the manger about my payment he asked me if I wanted a pay slip and whether he should write 20hrs on my payslip as the number of hours I've worked. I have worked way more hours than this. More than double this amount.

Part of me wants to talk to the ACAS like you've suggested (I didn't know they existed. I was going to talk to my local Citizens Advice Bureau or the HMRC) but another part of me wants to just put this behind me and move on. I just finished my last shift today and I will be collecting my pay tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jondoe16)
    @RachaelBee I am 26 yrs old and they should be paying me £7.20. but I get paid about half of this. Even after paying tax I should get paid at the least £5/hr.
    @doodle_333 The problem is I did agree to work for a fixed amount of money for a fixed number of days in a week. What I am annoyed about is that I was lied about the number of hours I would be working. I am more so angry with myself for being so naive.

What's clear is that these guys are taking advantage of the immigrant work force. Most people who work there are either Asians or from Eastern Europe, who hasn't been in this country for too long. Before I talked to the manger about my payment he asked me if I wanted a pay slip and whether he should write 20hrs on my payslip as the number of hours I've worked. I have worked way more hours than this. More than double this amount.

Part of me wants to talk to the ACAS like you've suggested (I didn't know they existed. I was going to talk to my local Citizens Advice Bureau or the HMRC) but another part of me wants to just put this behind me and move on. I just finished my last shift today and I will be collecting my pay tomorrow.
    It doesn't matter, you are still entitled to minimum wage for all the hours you have worked. If you are on a standard salary you are still not supposed to work so may hours that you drop below minimum wage. If you agreed to work X days for Y pay then it would be reasonable for you to have assumed that you would not work more hours than would put you below minimum wage as that would be illegal.

If you're only down a few pounds then maybe you could leave it but this guy is taking advantage of plenty of people by the sounds of it and I bet he owes you a reasonable amount of money. I would at least get the ball rolling and write a formal letter as he might just give you the money at that point. You might also ensure he's not able to take advantage of vulnerable members of society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.