Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    the reaction at c)i) CH3CH2Cl + NH3 → CH3CH2NH2 + HCl
    Q) if aqueous ammonia was used in c)i) - instead of alcoholic amonia, suggest the identity of the organic compound? the answer is ethanol... can someone pls explain why and mention the rxn.

ReputationRep:
    NH3(aq) is alkaline, so contains OH-.

Think about the ability to donate e- pairs, which is better? OH- or NH3? i.e which is the better nucleophile?

ReputationRep:
    Because the OH- nucleophile would attack the delta positive carbon bonded to the Cl atom and displace it instead of ammonia
    so you get CH3CH2OH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    NH3(aq) is alkaline, so contains OH-.

Think about the ability to donate e- pairs, which is better? OH- or NH3? i.e which is the better nucleophile?
    since OH- is the stronger nucleophile (cos it has a full negative charge and more lone pairs of electrons) it will attack the C delta postitive instead on NH3.. am i right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    Because the OH- nucleophile would attack the delta positive carbon bonded to the Cl atom and displace it instead of ammonia
    so you get CH3CH2OH
    thank u x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    since OH- is the stronger nucleophile (cos it has a full negative charge and more lone pairs of electrons) it will attack the C delta postitive instead on NH3.. am i right
    Not a case of instead, but faster, so more EtOH is made in the same time period as EtNH2.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.