Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I firmed my offers for university (economics) a few months (perhaps a bit stupid but it's done).

My firm is: Edinburgh A*AA
    My Insurance is: Leeds AAA

Here's the thing. I am predicated A*AA in maths, economics and history respectively, however I'm really worried about history.Last year I only scraped an A in the subject, and my coursework has come back and it's 40/50. My teacher says it's 80% and therefore an A, however last year the boundaries for an A in the coursework were 44/50, and 39/50 for a B.My history exam, a 2 and a half hour endurance on the Cold War, is without question my hardest exam this year.

Though I am averaging As, all it will take is a dodgy question and a petty mistake for that to drag my grade down tremendously. I'm confident I'll get an A* in maths and that I'll get an A, if not an A*, in economics. However, I'm terrified I'm going to get a B in history.Anyway, will there be a chance I'm accepted with A*AB? I also have an A in AS French if that will help.

Thanks for your help
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You may be accepted, yes. Many people are. Many people aren't. Unfortunately it depends on a number of things that I cannot predict. Focus on doing the very best you can as that is what is within your control right now.

ReputationRep:
    I can only answer based off of my experience as well as my friends, but, yes. It is highly likely you would be accepted with A*AB. If you look at the 'requirements' for the course you've applied for they often have a range and I bet your offer is at the higher end of that range? Don't be terrified about getting a B, many, many, people do, I did, and I still got my firm Exeter, as did my friend at Durham. Your AS result puts you at an advantage too. Just focus on getting through each of your exams and don't worry about your results until results day. (I realise that is easier said than done.)

ReputationRep:
    Some places will accept those grades as equivalent to AAA, some won't. I suspect Leeds will be OK with it, but Edinburgh are usually quite picky. It's not possible to predict anything, though. There are too many variables even for the university itself to know at this stage. Just do what you can do. There will be places in Clearing for grades like that even if the worst comes to the worst, which I suspect it won't.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I would agree. Universities have to take a lot into account, however most of time time A*AB would be viewed as equal to AAA so you should be fine. Try not to worry and just see what happens, but with your grades I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Technically you are not meeting your offer so can be rejected. However it will depend on whether the universities fill all their places at result time and this is something nobody including the university themselves know at this stage. Most universities do end up accepting 1 dropped grade and as CLR has said Edinburgh is known to very picky but nobody can guarantee you will be accepted with A*AB although it is quite likely that Leeds will accept you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrancisHannah)
    Hi,

I firmed my offers for university (economics) a few months (perhaps a bit stupid but it's done).

My firm is: Edinburgh A*AA
    My Insurance is: Leeds AAA

Here's the thing. I am predicated A*AA in maths, economics and history respectively, however I'm really worried about history.Last year I only scraped an A in the subject, and my coursework has come back and it's 40/50. My teacher says it's 80% and therefore an A, however last year the boundaries for an A in the coursework were 44/50, and 39/50 for a B.My history exam, a 2 and a half hour endurance on the Cold War, is without question my hardest exam this year.

Though I am averaging As, all it will take is a dodgy question and a petty mistake for that to drag my grade down tremendously. I'm confident I'll get an A* in maths and that I'll get an A, if not an A*, in economics. However, I'm terrified I'm going to get a B in history.Anyway, will there be a chance I'm accepted with A*AB? I also have an A in AS French if that will help.

Thanks for your help
    Yep many places will accept you if you miss a grade, and if you don't get in to Edinburgh Leeds should accept you no matter how you look at it A*>A good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    Yep many places will accept you if you miss a grade, and if you don't get in to Edinburgh Leeds should accept you no matter how you look at it A*>A good luck.
    A* may be better than A, but A*AB, although equivalent in terms of Ucas points, is not the same as AAA to a university which wants a minimum of A across the board, and none of us knows at the moment how either Leeds or Edinburgh will regard it. Nor will they at this point in the game.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.