Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  qp.PNG
Views: 97
Size:  20.1 KBAttachment 525251525253
    I tried changing my calculator to radians and degrees and I thought to change degrees into radians you would have to divide the degrees by pi/180
    Anyone help me here?

Question (a) is not the one to be answered
    (b) is "hence find the angle in radians, giving your answer to 3dp"
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    you would multiply degrees by pi/180 to get it to radians if I'm correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smooo)
    you would multiply degrees by pi/180 to get it to radians if I'm correct
    yeah thats right, i just forgot to get the inverse of the angle before changing to radians, thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessnoch)
    yeah thats right, i just forgot to get the inverse of the angle before changing to radians, thanks!!
    Do you actually need to do it manually though? You can just set your calculator to radians, that way you don't need to convert it from degrees because you'll have the answer in the correct unit straight away. Bear in mind, I am asking. If the question wants you to convert the units then of course do that.

ReputationRep:
    np, checked over the workings and it seems to be all right
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    Do you actually need to do it manually though? You can just set your calculator to radians, that way you don't need to convert it from degrees because you'll have the answer in the correct unit straight away. Bear in mind, I am asking. If the question wants you to convert the units then of course do that.
    yeah the question asked to convert the angle into radians on part b, sorry i didn't show that in the question

ReputationRep:
    360 degrees is 2pi radians, 180 degrees is pi radians. Just keep that in mind and things will make sense.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the question asked to convert the angle into radians on part b, sorry i didn't show that in the question
    Did it actually? I find that highly unlikely. If it said "find the angle in radians" then it means that you can (and should) set your calculator to radian mode and then do cos^(-1) 7/25 and get your answer in radians right away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Did it actually? I find that highly unlikely. If it said "find the angle in radians" then it means that you can (and should) set your calculator to radian mode and then do cos^(-1) 7/25 and get your answer in radians right away.
    Question (a) asked to show that the angle was 7/25 and then question (b) asked to find the angle in radians, so I did cos-1(7/25) and then did pi/180. I had my calculator set to degrees so I didn't get the direct answer, but I still got the right answer, so either way is fine I think.

ReputationRep:
    Question (a) asked to show that the angle was 7/25 and then question (b) asked to find the angle in radians, so I did cos-1(7/25) and then did pi/180. I had my calculator set to degrees so I didn't get the direct answer, but I still got the right answer, so either way is fine I think.
    Yes, either way is fine. But that's just... well. Why on earth would you do that? You're just setting yourself up for silly mistakes. Set your calculator in radian mode, you're at A-Level and radians is by far the most prevalent unit you will use. Might as well start getting used to it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yes, either way is fine. But that's just... well. Why on earth would you do that? You're just setting yourself up for silly mistakes. Set your calculator in radian mode, you're at A-Level and radians is by far the most prevalent unit you will use. Might as well start getting used to it now.
    I was confused on the question so I tried doing the answer in radian and degrees mode, and when I realised what to actually do i was already set in degrees. I do usually always have my calculator set to radian mode when doing these styled questions.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.