Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have not been tested yet but I have found a small lump near my anus which I believe could either be HPV or a skin tag. I have been doing a lot of research incase it is HPV and I have found out a few things which I'm going to state below. Some websites seem to contradict each other, so I would really appreciate it if someone could confirm if any of these facts are true or false.

My main question, is that if I am diagnosed with HPV, is my sex life over? Will I ever be able to have unprotected sex with my parter again without the risk of infecting him, or will I have to wear a condom forever? And will I ever be clear from HPV and be able to live a normal life?

The NHS website said that after treatment you have to wear condoms for the first 3 months, does this mean that after this I can have sex with my partner without condoms? I'm incredibly anxious about this at the moment so any help would be really appreciated.

What I've found:

Doctors can treat the abnormal cell changes but not the infection, but the body can naturally fight it off within 2 years, but for some it can recur or remain in their system for life.

When infection is undetectable (dormant, negative test result) it cannot be passed on. However, it can reactivate years later, but this is not the norm (mainly due to immune system, so eat well, exercise, don't smoke).

If you have negative results still get re-tested check your HPV status.

Avoid sexual activity entirely until warts are removed. If you and your partner have the same strand, you will become immune to it so won't reinfect each other.

Condoms do not fully protect against HPV

The type of HPV that causes cancer is different from the type that causes warts

ReputationRep:
    All kinds of diseases

(Original post by Ruhail25)
    All kinds of diseases
    ??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's probably a skin tag. The only way to know is to go to a sexual health clinic and get someone to look at it there.

If it is a wart, then your reading is right: in most cases, the body gets rid of the relevant strain of HPV within two years.

Until then, it's basically a cosmetic problem rather than anything else: what you've got is a case of HPV-phobia, brought on by the marketing of, gosh, the companies with an HPV vaccine to sell.

If it is HPV-related, how do you know you didn't get it from your partner?

(Original post by unprinted)
    It's probably a skin tag. The only way to know is to go to a sexual health clinic and get someone to look at it there.

If it is a wart, then your reading is right: in most cases, the body gets rid of the relevant strain of HPV within two years.

Until then, it's basically a cosmetic problem rather than anything else: what you've got is a case of HPV-phobia, brought on by the marketing of, gosh, the companies with an HPV vaccine to sell.

If it is HPV-related, how do you know you didn't get it from your partner?
    Basically I was with my partner for 8 months, then we broke up when I left for my gap year. During that time I had sex with 3 people, I used a condom every time but as we know I could still have contracted HPV. However I am back with my partner now and I'll be returning home in a few months, so I would like to get some answers before then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ??
    All kindss

(Original post by Ruhail25)
    All kindss
    What are you trying to say though? 'All kinda of illnesses' doesn't really explain much

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.