The Student Room Group

Graphic Design - advice/comments/recommendations

Hi everyone, new to the forum :smile: At 22 I've finally managed to convince myself I'm ready to pursue a degree!
I've already done a level 3 Art & Design course and I always intended to go on to study Graphic Design, but I feel like I dont know enough (photoshop skills etc) and I'd be somehow disadvantaged compared to other students. Am I just being silly and will I be taught from the very basics?
Does anyone know where I can get help with writing my personal statement, getting someone to read over it etc? (this all seems so much harder without my college tutors, gahh)
Also can anyone recommend universities that offer a good quality course and support, i.e better tutor-student ratios and tutors who are often available (I know friends who've complained they can barely keep in contact just by email)
And if anyone has any comments of how they've found/finding the course that would be great too, workload etc, the more info the better!!
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Original post by Doidoit
Hi everyone, new to the forum :smile: At 22 I've finally managed to convince myself I'm ready to pursue a degree!
I've already done a level 3 Art & Design course and I always intended to go on to study Graphic Design, but I feel like I dont know enough (photoshop skills etc) and I'd be somehow disadvantaged compared to other students.

I don't know what colleges are looking for today, but I'd expect that they are looking for evidence of imaginative design and potential to develop rather than skills in any particular application. Ultimately an employer will probably want you to have the technical skills too, and it will help you get work (even if that's only production rather than design), but it shouldn't be your focus in finding a course.

And if anyone has any comments of how they've found/finding the course that would be great too, workload etc, the more info the better!!

The harder you work the more you will get out of your course and the more employable you will be when you graduate. Don't think of it as a three year jolly, think of it as a three year apprenticeship where you are working commercial hours and trying to distinguish yourself from everyone else on your course, and indeed from other graduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending