Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically, I've just started a new job, I've worked about nearly two weeks. It wasn't ever intended to be a long term job. I'm a Graphic/Digital Design graduate, and I had intended to go into this field, however, I've had a difficult time finding work. Plus, I took my current job out of necessity to earn some cash, as I just moved out.

It's a job in fast food, it's horrible, menial, demanding, stressful and toxic work. I already despise it. Prior to this I worked 8 years in hospitality in a hotel, and while this was stressful, its nothing compared to fast food. It's a different kind of stress.

I left my former job due to manipulative uncaring boss, to this job which is basically working faster than I possibly can. Only been here a fortnight and I'm having unrealistic demands pushed on me, told to speed up by shift manager despite not been quick enough yet- which offended me. I'm socially anxious as it is, lack confidence and have issues with self esteem.

I feel like either it's me; and I can't hack working life, or it really isn't a job suited to me. I'm near tears every morning at the thought of work.

What to do?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Money v job. If you cna survive without the job then quit.

You will find it easier to get a job if you are working. Dwitch to soemthing else in a different sort of environment, back to hotels or whatever you were comfy with in hospitality. If your a graphical design graduate, then wont you have been better off volunteering and getting some associated work experience to take forward to interview?

Its just a job, so you need to see through it and think of the money plus appreciate its only short term. If you start demonising the work as menial then you make it more of a trayma han it needs to be, its a service and people pay money for it. All your colleagues are doing the same.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Money v job. If you cna survive without the job then quit.

You will find it easier to get a job if you are working. Dwitch to soemthing else in a different sort of environment, back to hotels or whatever you were comfy with in hospitality. If your a graphical design graduate, then wont you have been better off volunteering and getting some associated work experience to take forward to interview?

Its just a job, so you need to see through it and think of the money plus appreciate its only short term. If you start demonising the work as menial then you make it more of a trayma han it needs to be, its a service and people pay money for it. All your colleagues are doing the same.
    I can't afford to quit, which is one reason I'm so frantically upset lately. See, I moved here not only because it is a big city with more opportunity in my field, but also to be with my other half. I only took a the fast food job as a way of getting me here sooner.

I agree, it is so much more easier to find work whilst working.

I think a major reason I'm so out of my comfort zone is because some might say I 'had it easy' in my former hotel job. I was working behind the scenes, washing dishes in kitchen- that's it. I didn't wait on tables, although toward the end of my time there (last few weeks) I started housekeeping- odd really. The most exposure to the general public and the guest I had, was serving soups from a soup pot...and even then that was to staff to hand out.

So I guess now I've moved away, I'm on my own- no longer working with family and close friends, I'm sort of new and won't be able to get away with just doing the background stuff.

Guess I feel a bit down too, as I'm a 25yo mature grad; all I have for work experience is the 8 yrs I did in hotel, two weeks in McDonald's, some causal and sporadic volunteering undertaken while I was a undergrad student. This is partly to do with my social anxiety and been unable to step out of my bubble.

I feel so behind compared to my cohorts.

On my course at uni we did have a work experience module which was flexible, however, the location of my campus meant that the geographic area didn't offer many companies that would take grads on. It is a small seaside town, a bit too degenerate for graduate stuff. So I didn't opt for that. Instead I studied business module. I do regret not taking that module on because of what could've been.

Aside from that my course wasn't as well connected to industry as others. I had attended a course prior. But had to drop out due to depression. That course was more connected, which again I kick myself for.

I understand the part where you say it's a service people pay for and I got to think of the pay heck, which I'm trying too. It is unbelievable the level of anger displayed by the public over the fact their cheeseburger is dressed wrong or they don't have enough nuggets. How could you get so mad over a poxy nugget or cheeseburger? Sure, they're paying customers, but McDonald's isn't expensive right?

Customers ain't always right, certainly not ours. In fact, some are very rude.

Think the issue is, it's clear I don't like this line of work. I suspect not many do. Even those that work there. It's a means to an end for me, I have my degree, and while that isn't my only selling point I a, proud of that, and I fully intend to use it. It's just I don't think I'll ever become happy with this job as a result of my achievements.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Life is not a race,
    Your making it more difficult for yourself than needs be.
    its just a job, do it for the money and get another job in the meantime. If you cnat hack it, then quit. All this stuff about menial work is nonsense and if your colleagues find out you may be giving off an air of superiority and you are better than them. be a team player, be good at it, then *****.

Go and see the GP about your depression, some of its self inflicted. I think you are learning it isnt easy and I have a lot of respect for reatail becayse it cna be a thankless task. Nobody said McDs was for life.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you are going to find a new job difficult if you've did the same previous job for 8 years. I totally understand going from a back of house kitchen porter to front of house may be a lot different to what you're used to but it's McDoanlds... It's barely a 5 star restaurant!

I think you just need to give yourself some time to get used to the new environment and colleagues you're working with. If you do stick at the job I'm sure you'll get quicker within months of working there but also if you are desperate to leave, start looking for a new job now. As others say, it's much easier to find a job when you already have a job.

Also working with the public does open your eyes to how stupid and obnoxious they are. It's something you just need to get used to. But as you say if this is not the line of work for you, look for something that is! Finding a job is never easy with the competition of other people applying, and you may even need to apply for 20 jobs before you get that 1 job you really want. Just stick at what you're doing just now unless you can find another job and keep confident and most importantly, believe in yourself!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.