The Student Room Group

STOP blaming immigrants for your failings

Scroll to see replies

You always take a condescending tone and have false facts???

Hypocrite.
I just said that about you...
Original post by LaMandarine
I swear, some people here get so frustrated over what are, in essence discussions on a student forum, it just feels like you're at the PMQs (minus the swearing).

I would like to point out that I referred to "your average jobs" i.e. a cleaner, cashier, chef, plumber, even a low-rank nurse. These kinds of lower tier jobs, that require a minimum amount of experience or qualification. If there is a better way to classify these jobs, somebody let me know (not a native, so my vocabulary is limited). I did not refer to doctors, for many reasons, primarily being that to be able to profess as a doctor you need to pass heavy examinations(theoretical and practical), study kilometres of pages, get qualifications, etc. If you as an unskilled -say- Romanian builder want to get hired in the UK to build bridges, you can take a small role with little to any experience, and progress eventually to something higher. You can sell yourself for far lower than a British person, for the reasons I have already mentioned in my previous post, and thereby get the job instead of him.

From your main post, you did not refer to doctors particularly either, so I don't understand why you're countering my argument with a single example that I didn't even use. If you wanted to debate over foreign doctors exclusively, you could have mentioned that from your OP. You generally referred to the issue of immigrants taking British people's jobs, and so did I.

Anyway, from what I know, it's usually these low-tier British workers, who need a job in building, cleaning, retail, hospitality, that are angry. And they're angry for what I wrote in my initial post. To that I will also add, it's not the business owners who hire people in such businesses, it's the manager. Managers will always aim to get people who can work most for the least amount of money, and these people tend to be foreigners, again, for the reason that I mentioned. Also, if you think that foreign people are not brought into this country illegally to work, specifically because they can be made to work many hours for a pittance and be housed in s**it accommodation, then you're absolutely dreaming. I am aware of the sanctions they could face, but I am also aware that few generally get caught, hence why this is raised as an issue.

Watch your potty mouth. I did not say my preference, I said British taxpayer's preferences. And I did not refer to doctors, I referred to nurses. There are some types of nurses that are not required to take a degree, such as LVNs and LPNs (licensed vocational/practical nurses). Usually, in low urgency medical cases, you will be greeted by one of those, prior to meeting a qualified nurse or a doctor.
Also, if you have any source that highlights the shortage of native British doctors, do share. I am genuinely curious, and know little on this matter.

Lastly: just a friendly suggestion. Aside from vexed opinions, your OP doesn't bring anything to substantiate your view. Add examples if you want people to take you more seriously on this matter.
Excellent post.

Another factor is that low tier indigenous workers of necessity, will live in the lowest cost areas - which are the areas economic migrants will move to for the very same reason.

This places enormous pressure on the low-tier local infrastructure for services/schools/transport etc., pushes up accommodation costs (supply and demand) and dilutes the social-cohesion of the native population. In other words the indigenous population inevitably feel cuckolded and powerless to stop the decline of their communities as they see it. Everything they grew up with and identify with as 'home' is rapidly being replaced.

Those that can, move out. The vacated premises inevitably filled by more immigrants and the cycle accelerates.

It is little wonder that the ones left behind (in the worst cases) feel as if they are now living in a different country and will lash out and grab anything that seems to make sense to blame - however incorrect their assumptions for the root cause.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would like to point out that I referred to "your average jobs" i.e. a cleaner, cashier, chef, plumber, even a low-rank nurse. These kinds of lower tier jobs, that require a minimum amount of experience or qualification.

You are literally just lying about what you put you said "they are right to have a preference" yeah you dont have a preference in what you cannot control. If there had been a large number of British doctors to start with this would be a valid point.

Further the jobs you listed the British did not want to do in the first place as the majority of them thought they were better than them and left it especially cleaners.

Your argument about wage and salary is quite honestly stupid. Most employers have to pay the minimum wage and they will not give you less because you are a immigrant, and if you are talking about self employed immigrants charging less well thats technically how a business works.

Original post by uberteknik
Excellent post.

Another factor is that low tier indigenous workers of necessity, will live in the lowest cost areas - which are the areas economic migrants will move to for the very same reason.

You are acting asif EVERY immigrant is poor and will only reside in working class areas.
WITHOUT IMMIGRATION I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BORN INTO A SAFE SOCIETY!

and the amount of immigrants i know who are doctors and dentists mechanics and chefs, without them you wouldn't eat kebab from the local kebab place, or had your car fixed or been diagnosed

accept it, a lot of immigrants come with a purpose and do it, but some (NOT ALL) non-immigrants dont try as hard, im not bashing people
People just need to be flexible. You dont necessarily need to work marry and die within a square mile of where your mother **** you out; plenty of Brits emigrate to UAE, Spain, Aus. Its a connected world, nationhood means f/a these days anyway with all the tech around.
Original post by TSRFT8
You are literally just lying about what you put you said "they are right to have a preference" yeah you dont have a preference in what you cannot control. If there had been a large number of British doctors to start with this would be a valid point.

Further the jobs you listed the British did not want to do in the first place as the majority of them thought they were better than them and left it especially cleaners.

Your argument about wage and salary is quite honestly stupid. Most employers have to pay the minimum wage and they will not give you less because you are a immigrant, and if you are talking about self employed immigrants charging less well thats technically how a business works.

You are acting asif EVERY immigrant is poor and will only reside in working class areas.

Jesus, you're living in a different world than I am :lol:, and I've been residing in this country for a while. And stop moulding my original arguments, that's just unfitting. I did not, verbatim, say "they are right to have a preference". I said, and I quote

I can honestly understand why some native British people, who are being taxed for some services (such as the NHS), would prefer to have -say- a nurse or a doctor who doesn't necessarily speak like the queen, but at least speaks comprehensible English. If in Romania we'd have somebody speaking with a funny accent, everybody would go nuts.

This is not me raising an argument. This is merely an opinion, a sentiment of empathy- if anything. There is no right or wrong in this situation. I can't be lying if I'm not even claiming to say the truth.

Your second argument is just tosh. There is no fixed affirmative and negative in this statement. It's not like British people either don't want or want these jobs. This varies from area to area. You seem to be forgetting that there are a lot of working class jobseekers in your country. Like you said, it's not like "they have a choice" to ponder whether they're feeling like sweeping the streets or picking up the trash, or cooking for a catering agency, being a plumber or whatever. If they're in serious financial circumstances, they'll be desperate for such jobs.

That statement with the national minimum wage is so cute. You think that if there is a law in your country, everybody will abide by it. Quite often it has proved to be different.
Here's just one example of many, when that was found to not be the case:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25880354
(edited 7 years ago)
Your second argument is just tosh. There is no fixed affirmative and negative in this statement. It's not like British people either don't want or want these jobs. This varies from area to area. You seem to be forgetting that there are a lot of working class jobseekers in your country. Like you said, it's not like "they have a choice" to ponder whether they're feeling like sweeping the streets or picking up the trash, or cooking for a catering agency, being a plumber or whatever. If they're in serious financial circumstances, they'll be desperate for such jobs.

I literally cannot cope with you. You are an IMMIGRANT basically arguing saying immigration is bad.

Im going to answer your last line (i have a-levels to revise for and quite frankly your points are just stupid) if they were desperate for such jobs then so many immigrants would never have gotten them.
Original post by TSRFT8
I did not say that nor did I imply it. You made that assumption all on your own.

Read my post and you will see I very clearly stated 'low tier indigenous workers'. I can qualify the next statement to remove ambiguity by adding 'which are the areas low-tier economic migrants will move to for the very same reason'.
Original post by TSRFT8
I literally cannot cope with you. You are an IMMIGRANT basically arguing saying immigration is bad.

Im going to answer your last line (i have a-levels to revise for and quite frankly your points are just stupid) if they were desperate for such jobs then so many immigrants would never have gotten them.

So you're saying that the fact that I am an immigrant implies that I should fervidly endorse any form of immigration in this country? :rofl:. I'm even in favour of Brexit, believe it or not, even if that could impact my stay here. I love this country, and despite my boyfriend (who's English) thinks that this is now my mother country, I consider it my adoptive mother country, as I have retained my Romanian nature (the good sides of it, haha). I've grown fond of some British idioms, and elements of your culture (that are still alive, yet ailing). And yes, even I, as an immigrant, can notice when other immigrants, who can also be co-nationals, are illegally coming here, or coming here for far lower wages than British natives. I've lived here enough to see a bountiful of Romanians, Poles, Bulgarians, you name it, come to this country in such conditions.

Stop being so reductionist, I did not say all immigration is bad, or that immigration is wholly bad, or however you may take it. Even in my first post I said that as an immigrant, I partially disagree with you. I also mentioned in that conclusion that whereas I see the benefits this country gets from some forms of immigration, there are some things that seriously need attention and action. Compared to you, I actually don't have a blinkered view and can see this situation from different angles, let them be positive or negative.

Your last point just blew me away :lol:. If my points are stupid, I'll refrain from commenting on yours. You're either living in a different dimension, or are unaware of how harsh life can be to some people in some parts of this country. I'll just mention this last example (taken from the piece of news that I linked you) as I have work to prepare myself.

Say a Brit from London is working as a builder and earns his living from plastering walls. Generally, this task is paid £100 per day, but my fellow co-national, Costică, comes over from Romania, lives in some s**it room crammed in with 5 of his co-workers- provided by his employer or some 3rd party boss, and can do that same job for £40. Your British fellow probably also has rent/mortgage/bills to pay and mouths to feed, so he simply can't sell himself for less. He won't get the job because of Costică.

I'm done here, though. Got work to do myself, good luck with your revision.
Reply 30
Original post by TSRFT8
There are NUMEROUS threads now on TSR about how "immigrants" are stealing jobs which should be for the British.

Firstly no one is stealing anything from anyone, The British do not have an entitlement to whatever job they desire and if this is what you want then apply it across the board not to just one job. Why dont you apply it to doctors and replace them with only British doctors see where that gets you.

Why dont you stop all the businesses owned by "immigrants" and see how many more people are unemployed. Im sick of seeing British people think they have some sort of high ground over jobs because of their nationality.

If an employer does not hire you DO NOT take your frustration out on blaming immigrants as it is not their fault people do not want to hire you (Also shut up about "they work for cheaper" this is incorrect that job would pay a British person the same)

Further if you are declined from a job stop saying "someone who cant speak English got a job over me" its nothing to brag about infact you should probably go back and resit your GCSE`s if this is the case.

Its boring when people who couldn't even be bothered to get a single qualification think they deserve a job over someone better qualified, give over you have no ENTITLEMENT to anything. Its NOT your company for you to be deciding who SHOULD be hired.

Lastly i think many also forget these "immigrants" are working jobs that the British think they are too good for. Instead of moaning about it do something productive instead of spurting your borderline racism because you are a failure.

The winners of employment are the EU migrants.
FYI There is no economic downturn

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/663902/Record-levels-of-mass-migration-from-Europe-damaging-UK-leaked-Government-report-says
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm done here, though. Got work to do myself, good luck with your revision.

The cherry on top haha
Yep, we steal everything :colone: Soon I'll steal someone's boyfriend :colone:
Original post by tengentoppa
This isn't necessarily true. For example, imagine a plumber from Romania. He would be happy to do the work for less than the going rate in the UK because it's still more than he would earn in his home country. He thereby undercuts British plumbers, who have to lower their prices.

What does he do, commute to and from Romania on a daily basis? If he lives in the UK he is going to have the same cost of living issues as anyone else living in the UK.
Original post by TSRFT8
There are NUMEROUS threads now on TSR about how "immigrants" are stealing jobs which should be for the British.

Firstly no one is stealing anything from anyone, The British do not have an entitlement to whatever job they desire and if this is what you want then apply it across the board not to just one job. Why dont you apply it to doctors and replace them with only British doctors see where that gets you.

Why dont you stop all the businesses owned by "immigrants" and see how many more people are unemployed. Im sick of seeing British people think they have some sort of high ground over jobs because of their nationality.

If an employer does not hire you DO NOT take your frustration out on blaming immigrants as it is not their fault people do not want to hire you (Also shut up about "they work for cheaper" this is incorrect that job would pay a British person the same)

Further if you are declined from a job stop saying "someone who cant speak English got a job over me" its nothing to brag about infact you should probably go back and resit your GCSE`s if this is the case.

Its boring when people who couldn't even be bothered to get a single qualification think they deserve a job over someone better qualified, give over you have no ENTITLEMENT to anything. Its NOT your company for you to be deciding who SHOULD be hired.

Lastly i think many also forget these "immigrants" are working jobs that the British think they are too good for. Instead of moaning about it do something productive instead of spurting your borderline racism because you are a failure.

Why not respond to posters in them threads instead of adding another thread? Is it because you lack the intellectual capability to counter their arguments?

Is it because you like to virtue signal and hand wave? You like the attention huh? Because its easier to get reps knocking down your strawmen ??

All the above no doubt
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by typonaut
What does he do, commute to and from Romania on a daily basis? If he lives in the UK he is going to have the same cost of living issues as anyone else living in the UK.

Basically they accept a standard of living deemed illegal by both citizens of the country and also he government.

They basically undercut the whole point of minimum/living wage.
I swear, some people here get so frustrated over what are, in essence discussions on a student forum, it just feels like you're at the PMQs (minus the swearing).

I would like to point out that I referred to "your average jobs" i.e. a cleaner, cashier, chef, plumber, even a low-rank nurse. These kinds of lower tier jobs, that require a minimum amount of experience or qualification. If there is a better way to classify these jobs, somebody let me know (not a native, so my vocabulary is limited). I did not refer to doctors, for many reasons, primarily being that to be able to profess as a doctor you need to pass heavy examinations(theoretical and practical), study kilometres of pages, get qualifications, etc. If you as an unskilled -say- Romanian builder want to get hired in the UK to build bridges, you can take a small role with little to any experience, and progress eventually to something higher. You can sell yourself for far lower than a British person, for the reasons I have already mentioned in my previous post, and thereby get the job instead of him.

From your main post, you did not refer to doctors particularly either, so I don't understand why you're countering my argument with a single example that I didn't even use. If you wanted to debate over foreign doctors exclusively, you could have mentioned that from your OP. You generally referred to the issue of immigrants taking British people's jobs, and so did I.

Anyway, from what I know, it's usually these low-tier British workers, who need a job in building, cleaning, retail, hospitality, that are angry. And they're angry for what I wrote in my initial post. To that I will also add, it's not the business owners who hire people in such businesses, it's the manager. Managers will always aim to get people who can work most for the least amount of money, and these people tend to be foreigners, again, for the reason that I mentioned. Also, if you think that foreign people are not brought into this country illegally to work, specifically because they can be made to work many hours for a pittance and be housed in s**it accommodation, then you're absolutely dreaming. I am aware of the sanctions they could face, but I am also aware that few generally get caught, hence why this is raised as an issue.

Watch your potty mouth. I did not say my preference, I said British taxpayer's preferences. And I did not refer to doctors, I referred to nurses. There are some types of nurses that are not required to take a degree, such as LVNs and LPNs (licensed vocational/practical nurses). Usually, in low urgency medical cases, you will be greeted by one of those, prior to meeting a qualified nurse or a doctor.
Also, if you have any source that highlights the shortage of native British doctors, do share. I am genuinely curious, and know little on this matter.

Lastly: just a friendly suggestion. Aside from vexed opinions, your OP doesn't bring anything to substantiate your view. Add examples if you want people to take you more seriously on this matter.

Boom. I like this girl. You could learn an awful lot OP

I literally lolled when @LaMandarine so deliciously and succinctly destroyed @TSRFT8 -

"B-b-buutt your an immigrant!!" lmfao - The anger and embarassment at his worldview being annihiliated right before his eyes...The last refuge for a fool is to run for the Xenophobe, little englander, nasty racist white man card ... AND HE COULDN'T

Three cheers for @LaMandarine

@TSRFT8
(edited 7 years ago)
Beta commie detected

It's okay though, we'll be able to say 'I told you so' when Shariah law gets implemented and the British are a minority.
So if your parents built a house, are you not expected to have preference in it before complete strangers? How is that even debatable?
Fact is there is a limited number of women/jobs/public space. Ask anyone looking for a job if he thinks competition is a good or funny thing. He would be suicidal to say yes. I wouldn't even bother writing an application for a job with thousands of applicants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8

Well if someone has just lost their job to a foreigner this isn't exactly soothing reading is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending