The Student Room Group

when will night sweats go?

Hi all, I have had the flu for about a week, which developed into a chest, ear and throat infection a few days ago which I am on antibiotics for, which seem to be working. I am feeling much better in myself, however, I keep experiencing horrendous night sweats, for the past 3 or 4 nights, having to get changed 3 or 4 times a night and sleep on towels. It's horrible. Does anyone know when this will go? I am starting to feel much much better but this just doesn't seem to be budging.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I have had the flu for about a week, which developed into a chest, ear and throat infection a few days ago which I am on antibiotics for, which seem to be working. I am feeling much better in myself, however, I keep experiencing horrendous night sweats, for the past 3 or 4 nights, having to get changed 3 or 4 times a night and sleep on towels. It's horrible. Does anyone know when this will go? I am starting to feel much much better but this just doesn't seem to be budging.

It's probably you sweatting out the illness. It should get better once the infection is totally cleared. Just check the antibiotics info leaflet to see if it is a listed side effect and what that says. Since you are feeling otherwise better I assume it's just it all leaving your system finally. I'd say if it doesn't go away in a couple more days check with a dr or pharmacist since they sound like pretty nasty ones. Also if your antibiotics say it is a possible side effect and give any instructions follow those.
Maybe phone or visit a pharmacist tomorrow to check anyway since i'm not a doctor or anything.

For now try keeping the room cool when you go to bed and using thinner sheets or a blanket. Maybe put a fan on at night or keep the window open. Basically keep yourself as cool as possible (without being too cold obviously). Since you are sweatting out a lot of your fluids be sure to keep yourself hydrated too.

Hope it stopps soon and you're back to normal with no nasty flu or infections to worry about :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest