The Student Room Group

Revision Tips for 2016 Economics A Level exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If it is an advantages/disadvantages or costs/benefits question then you get analysis marks for stating one side of the argument and evaluation marks for stating the other side. Application marks can be gained by using examples in your answer and applying the theory to specific businesses or industries in micro or to specific countries in macro. For more tips on evaluation and revision etc.. visit my website at: http://aleveleconomicssuccess.com/
Hi for Aqa how can I get 10/10 marks for the 10 mark question. Also would you say knowing your content is more important than exam practice ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cathartic
Hi for Aqa how can I get 10/10 marks for the 10 mark question. Also would you say knowing your content is more important than exam practice ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Knowing content and exam practice are both important. You get 10/10 by meeting the criteria of the level grid. How to structure a question depends on what question you are doing. Definitions, diagrams, explaining the diagrams and analysis.
Hi, I would like to know good words to link my sentence so they look interesting to the examiner and not just a huge memorization of theoretical knowledge. Also, any common mistakes to avoid in the exam in terms of diagrams etc. Any advice to reach the upper band in the 25 marker in economics
Im doing CIE Economics A2 paper 4
Original post by Muhammadkhn
Hi, I would like to know good words to link my sentence so they look interesting to the examiner and not just a huge memorization of theoretical knowledge. Also, any common mistakes to avoid in the exam in terms of diagrams etc. Any advice to reach the upper band in the 25 marker in economics
Im doing CIE Economics A2 paper 4

Interesting? That's a new one. As long as the paragraph makes sense and there is a good chain of reasoning (explaining step by step what's happening) it would be sufficient. I am not familiar with the CIE A2 paper, my advice would be to look at mark schemes to look at what is required to reach L4, I assume is similar to OCR A2 and requires a judgement/evaluation
Original post by keynes24
Interesting? That's a new one. As long as the paragraph makes sense and there is a good chain of reasoning (explaining step by step what's happening) it would be sufficient. I am not familiar with the CIE A2 paper, my advice would be to look at mark schemes to look at what is required to reach L4, I assume is similar to OCR A2 and requires a judgement/evaluation

Yes your advice does relate to the content. Highly appreciate your help. Also, theres this common myth of length that some teachers emphasize alot upon. What is your say on this
Do you have any tips for essay writing. For example anything that should always be included in an answer that will get marks? Help would be much appreciated, Thank you :smile:
Original post by Tatjana_Jimenez
Do you have any tips for essay writing. For example anything that should always be included in an answer that will get marks? Help would be much appreciated, Thank you :smile:

What ive read across and understood is that it is essential that students answer the question with the fact that economics doesn't give certainty, so while writing answers words like could/would, instead of will, show the examiner that you understand that theories are not certain.
Also key words in certain topics,
ie: use sustainability in growth and development questions
Also, analyse well, ask yourself questions in your answer
ie: however is it always the case that consumers maximise utility?
Ensure that even after writing down all your answers, refer back to the question and give a reference to it.
Use good examples
Impact of Brexit, brexit good as immigration falls, bad for economy as EU subsidies taken away and cheap labour over
Rio olympics
Oil prices in demand and supply (oversupply glut has led to low prices)
Reply 28
Attached is my guide to writing answers to essay questions. It was written for my AQA students but much of it is applicable to essays for other boards.
Reply 29
Today's revision tip is for Unit 1
Most of the longer unit 1 questions will require you to write about the various types of MARKET FAILURE, then consider the appropriate forms of GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION and for evaluation you need to write about GOVERNMENT FAILURE. Revise all of these thoroughly. For each type of market failure learn THREE interventions and for each intervention learn THREEways in which it may fail. That should cover most bases.
Original post by Muhammadkhn
What ive read across and understood is that it is essential that students answer the question with the fact that economics doesn't give certainty, so while writing answers words like could/would, instead of will, show the examiner that you understand that theories are not certain.
Also key words in certain topics,
ie: use sustainability in growth and development questions
Also, analyse well, ask yourself questions in your answer
ie: however is it always the case that consumers maximise utility?
Ensure that even after writing down all your answers, refer back to the question and give a reference to it.
Use good examples
Impact of Brexit, brexit good as immigration falls, bad for economy as EU subsidies taken away and cheap labour over
Rio olympics
Oil prices in demand and supply (oversupply glut has led to low prices)

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful :smile:
How many examples do we need per question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
How many examples do we need per question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt theres a specific limit to it I believe they should be just good enough and something that you know well enough about so you can elaborate. 1/2 is enough
IE: brexit may increase real wages as there might be a shortage of labour in the long run as tighter immigration controls prevents low cost labour from benefiting the economy.
Do we have to use real life examples ? Also with me, I always tend to answer my 25 markers with very good answers but they don't link to the question how can I stop doing that? Thank you for all your tips they've helped a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we have to use real life examples ? Also with me, I always tend to answer my 25 markers with very good answers but they don't link to the question how can I stop doing that? Thank you for all your tips they've helped a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it is not link to the question is not a good answer. Assuming it is AQA there is no need to use real life examples since the extract will provide enough application.
Reply 35

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use real examples that are relevant to the question whenever you can. Take them from the extracts that are provided or your own knowledge. More importantly, your answers need to relate to the question. Providing evidence from the text to support your arguments helps with this. Read the question several times and think it through before starting your answer. I recommend a brief plan before you start.
Whats the difference between Gross national INCOME and Gross National Product?
One of the mark schemes said precuationary and transcationary demand for money depend on income and time of year. I understand income, but why does it depend on time of year?
And if there is infrequency of payment (e.g. a worker goes from being paid once a week to once a month) would there be an increase in precautionary demand?
Reply 38
Original post by BrownieLover
Whats the difference between Gross national INCOME and Gross National Product?

See http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/3491/economics/difference-between-gnp-gdp-and-gni/
Reply 39
Original post by BrownieLover
One of the mark schemes said precuationary and transcationary demand for money depend on income and time of year. I understand income, but why does it depend on time of year?
And if there is infrequency of payment (e.g. a worker goes from being paid once a week to once a month) would there be an increase in precautionary demand?

Transactionary demand for money increases around Xmas time as people want to spend more.
Precautionary demand is for unforeseen circumstances, so there could be an increase in precautionary demand if workers are paid less frequently because there is longer to wait between payments.

Quick Reply

Latest