Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, at universities such as Warwick it's possible to study a degree in Computer Science but also take modules in Economics. I was just wondering if they teach it from scratch? And would it be possible to do well in them having never studied Economics before?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm at Lancaster and basically what you can do in first year is pick your main subject you want to study, (some subjects you can study it having never studied it previously) say Economics, you can then also choose what you call a 'minor' subject in whatever else you want to do. So, in your first year, you have 2/3 of your modules in Economics then 1/3 of your modules in Computer Science for example. The flexibility is there incase you don't enjoy your 'major' course and decide to go down in to computer science in second and third year. However, it depends what subject and what you want to do; subjects like Physics don't offer it. I'm assuming there are some universities out there offering minor and majors. But yeah, they're all taught from absolute scratch. You do get a little headstart if you've done it before but everyone becomes the same page or level by the end of first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eiriol)
    Hi, I'm at Lancaster and basically what you can do in first year is pick your main subject you want to study, (some subjects you can study it having never studied it previously) say Economics, you can then also choose what you call a 'minor' subject in whatever else you want to do. So, in your first year, you have 2/3 of your modules in Economics then 1/3 of your modules in Computer Science for example. The flexibility is there incase you don't enjoy your 'major' course and decide to go down in to computer science in second and third year. However, it depends what subject and what you want to do; subjects like Physics don't offer it. I'm assuming there are some universities out there offering minor and majors. But yeah, they're all taught from absolute scratch. You do get a little headstart if you've done it before but everyone becomes the same page or level by the end of first year.
    Yeah I'm aware of the major/minor thing that US universities do and glad to see that a lot of Uk universities do this to and from scratch aswell so brilliant! Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.