Turn on thread page Beta

Investment banking preparation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'll be in college in September and want to go into Investment banking preferably M&A/S&T. However I don't study Economics (I know the training provided makes the degree pointless but surely an Evonomics degree must help on trading side?), my degree will most likely be in Computer Science and I don't know much about markets/trading. All I know is you have to go to target/semi target university, be involved in extracurriculars such as finance society, and do Spring weeks/internship to land a job. What I want to know is what resources are out there to increase my knowledge in these areas and what can I do to make me better prepared before I go to Uni? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axlerod)
    I'll be in college in September and want to go into Investment banking preferably M&A/S&T. However I don't study Economics (I know the training provided makes the degree pointless but surely an Evonomics degree must help on trading side?), my degree will most likely be in Computer Science and I don't know much about markets/trading. All I know is you have to go to target/semi target university, be involved in extracurriculars such as finance society, and do Spring weeks/internship to land a job. What I want to know is what resources are out there to increase my knowledge in these areas and what can I do to make me better prepared before I go to Uni? Cheers
    Just enjoy college! It's awful to see people basing their whole life around this. Take the subjects you enjoy, so many people take economics at University and end up hating it because they just did it for the job. (Source I work for a large AM).

ReputationRep:
    Also how can you know you want to get into M&A or S&T if you know nothing about trading or the markets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    Also how can you know you want to get into M&A or S&T if you know nothing about trading or the markets?
    I know a litttttle bit about what they do but I'd like to gain more knowledge from scratch basically

ReputationRep:
    Just enjoy college! It's awful to see people basing their whole life around this. Take the subjects you enjoy, so many people take economics at University and end up hating it because they just did it for the job. (Source I work for a large AM).
    That's the thing though, I don't want to do economics 😁, p.s Im doing subjects I enjoy

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing though, I don't want to do economics 😁, p.s Im doing subjects I enjoy
    Well just do subjects you enjoy and be yourself. IB doesn't have a perfect mould. Go to a target Uni, work very very hard and hopefully you will be successful.

ReputationRep:
    network with alumni via linkedin

ReputationRep:
    I know a litttttle bit about what they do but I'd like to gain more knowledge from scratch basically
    google
    or there are quite a few books out there to get you started e.g. the intelligent investor
    or try get some work experience and network

ReputationRep:
    I bet you want to go into banking because you heard that "You would make a lot of money" lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiritually)
    I bet you want to go into banking because you heard that "You would make a lot of money" lol.
    Not really, a lot of people assume that if you go into banking you're earning millions and you're gonna retire before 30 but that's not the case. For me personally, I want to go into it for the exit opportunities but I'd be lying if I said salary is irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiritually)
    is it not true?

ReputationRep:
    You're only in year 11. You haven't even finished your GCSEs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antebellum)
    You're only in year 11. You haven't even finished your GCSEs...
    I have actually lol, had to take a year out for personal reasons

ReputationRep:
    Not really, a lot of people assume that if you go into banking you're earning millions and you're gonna retire before 30 but that's not the case. For me personally, I want to go into it for the exit opportunities but I'd be lying if I said salary is irrelevant
    And what exactly is it about the exit opportunities that make you want to pursue IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    And what exactly is it about the exit opportunities that make you want to pursue IB?
    The money 😊

ReputationRep:
    The money 😊

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! The ones that only go in for the money and pass all the stages usually don't last very long haha

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahaha listen fam, I have goals such as paying off my parents mortgage and a few property investments I would like to do; banking provides that capital and atleast I'm honest lol

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! The ones that only go in for the money and pass all the stages usually don't last very long haha
    Whatever you say lol

ReputationRep:
    I have actually lol, had to take a year out for personal reasons
    Grades?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.