Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I keep receiving notifications on my internet backing to open a Cash ISA. Could someone please explain what an ISA is and if it is worth having one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nfergs)
    I keep receiving notifications on my internet backing to open a Cash ISA. Could someone please explain what an ISA is and if it is worth having one?
    An Individual Savings Account:
    http://moneyfacts.co.uk/guides/isas/...ash-isa120412/

You put savings into the account and earn tax free interest just for having the money in there. If you have a lot of money that you don't plan on spending for a while, they can be great. Interest rates can depend on the account type.

Whether it's worth it is up to you; if you only plan on putting a couple of quid in there, then no. They aren't necessary (it sounds as though you already have some form of current account) but are nice little add-ons.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Unless you have a lot of money then Isas aren't worth it anymore as you only get taxed once the interest is over £1000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    An Individual Savings Account:
    http://moneyfacts.co.uk/guides/isas/...ash-isa120412/

You put savings into the account and earn tax free interest just for having the money in there. If you have a lot of money that you don't plan on spending for a while, they can be great. Interest rates can depend on the account type.

Whether it's worth it is up to you; if you only plan on putting a couple of quid in there, then no. They aren't necessary (it sounds as though you already have some form of current account) but are nice little add-ons.
    I do already have a standard savings account which I receive an annual 0.20% interest rate. Obviously the interest is gradually increasing as I save more money but it isn't much.

What would be a good amount of money to put into an ISA?

ReputationRep:
    I do already have a standard savings account which I receive an annual 0.20% interest rate. Obviously the interest is gradually increasing as I save more money but it isn't much.

What would be a good amount of money to put into an ISA?
    my mum has some for occasional saving (new cars, holidays and that sort of thing) and well £500 is ok to start the most my mum had was £7500 before we bought a car atm she's got £2,800 in her's
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Unless you have a lot of money then Isas aren't worth it anymore as you only get taxed once the interest is over £1000.
    ^this

Although the new Lifetime ISA might be worth a look (free money!)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs

And a Stocks & Shares ISA is probably worth considering someone intends to save a siginificant amount (i.e. on or near the annual limit) for the medium to long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    ^this

Although the new Lifetime ISA might be worth a look (free money!)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs

And a Stocks & Shares ISA is probably worth considering someone intends to save a siginificant amount (i.e. on or near the annual limit) for the medium to long term.
    I've been doing some research and I'm considering opening a fixed rate ISA but I'm not sure if to go for 2 or 3 years.

The LIfetime ISA starting next year also sounds pretty good. So if I open an ISA now will I stil be able to open a Lifetime ISA next year?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've been doing some research and I'm considering opening a fixed rate ISA but I'm not sure if to go for 2 or 3 years.

The LIfetime ISA starting next year also sounds pretty good. So if I open an ISA now will I stil be able to open a Lifetime ISA next year?
    Yes the ISA allowances are annual. So if you invest up to the limit this tax year you can still invest again next tax year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's worth having a help to buy ISA, not worth having anything else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.