Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Y12 looking at assorted unis for history and I've been attracted by St Andrews a bit as it's such an old university as well as it basically being Oxbridge in the quality of it's history degree, but as I'm English I've always enjoyed learning about my Tudors, Plantagenets and Saxons etc so when I got my St Andrews prospectus which said you'd have to learn Scottish history I was worried I'd have to substitute learning about Tudors (probably my favourite epoch) for it, any current (preferably English) undergraduates able to enlighten me a bit on the versatility of the History course at St Andrews and whether or not I'll be able to study English history there would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if you're applying for Modern, Medieval, Ancient, or just full on History, but I'm gonna be studying Modern come September this year (and I'm a Scottish applicant) 😁
    By the looks of the module listings for Modern History in first and second year, you won't be learning much about Britain at all in your first year - with a module solely dedicated to Scotland and England and their relationship between the years 1500-2000 in second year.
    Then in your third and fourth years you have the choice of loads of different modules with lists available here:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/...ugmodules.html

I'm sure it's possible to avoid all contact with the Scottish modules if you so wish :lol:

I'm also not sure how familiar you are with the Scottish University system but it's significantly more flexible in all regards when compared to the English one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM_1998)
    I'm not sure if you're applying for Modern, Medieval, Ancient, or just full on History, but I'm gonna be studying Modern come September this year (and I'm a Scottish applicant) 😁
    By the looks of the module listings for Modern History in first and second year, you won't be learning much about Britain at all in your first year - with a module solely dedicated to Scotland and England and their relationship between the years 1500-2000 in second year.
    Then in your third and fourth years you have the choice of loads of different modules with lists available here:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/...ugmodules.html

I'm sure it's possible to avoid all contact with the Scottish modules if you so wish :lol:

I'm also not sure how familiar you are with the Scottish University system but it's significantly more flexible in all regards when compared to the English one.
    I was going for general history so i can pick and choose whatever i want of course i want to do some Scottish history im not going into north of the Tweed for nothing! but to me it sounds like i can still do my English history thanks for replying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniele2014)
    I was going for general history so i can pick and choose whatever i want of course i want to do some Scottish history im not going into north of the Tweed for nothing! but to me it sounds like i can still do my English history thanks for replying!
    Email them if you don't understand.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.