The Student Room Group

CIE igcse physics - Paper 5 (practical) feelings

Just wanted to see who is the doing CIE igcse paper 5 (practical)
When are you doing it
how are you feeling about it
How are you revising for it/any tips to succeed n it?
hello im doing a similar paper (paper 6 alternative to practical)
on the 12th of may if i remember
horrible so far i barely know much
Original post by hwdada
Just wanted to see who is the doing CIE igcse paper 5 (practical)
When are you doing it
how are you feeling about it
How are you revising for it/any tips to succeed n it?

I'm doing it on Thursday. Feeling ok, our teacher said that we should all get at least 90% (36/40). Bit worried about the plan section of it, which is newly introduced this year, so it's the first time for it. Only a specimen paper of that plan section is available online.

How to succeed? Literally follow the instructions on the sheet, and take your time reading the questions AND all the text, as it is all useful. Don't spend loads of time setting up/doing the actual practical, as it is usually a waste of time. The questions will require some thought.
Reply 3
Original post by Ishan_2000
I'm doing it on Thursday. Feeling ok, our teacher said that we should all get at least 90% (36/40). Bit worried about the plan section of it, which is newly introduced this year, so it's the first time for it. Only a specimen paper of that plan section is available online.

How to succeed? Literally follow the instructions on the sheet, and take your time reading the questions AND all the text, as it is all useful. Don't spend loads of time setting up/doing the actual practical, as it is usually a waste of time. The questions will require some thought.

Sounds like you seem pretty prepared!
The main thing im worried about is the written practical question we have to create ourselves - do you have a tip for a structure to use when writing these?
Also what time is your exam on thursday? want to see if it is the same with ours
Original post by hwdada
Sounds like you seem pretty prepared!
The main thing im worried about is the written practical question we have to create ourselves - do you have a tip for a structure to use when writing these?
Also what time is your exam on thursday? want to see if it is the same with ours

They give you about 5 bullet points, so just cover all those for most of the marks.
Mine is in the afternoon, 1:30 start
Reply 5
Original post by Ishan_2000
They give you about 5 bullet points, so just cover all those for most of the marks.
Mine is in the afternoon, 1:30 start

ah right same with me, good luck for it tomorrow!
Original post by hwdada
ah right same with me, good luck for it tomorrow!

So, how do you think it went? 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ah it was a weird one. I messed up my resistance table so i had to redo it on a separate sheet and also I rushed my written question so I ended up using all of the equipment. How about you?
Original post by Hwdadaaa
Ah it was a weird one. I messed up my resistance table so i had to redo it on a separate sheet and also I rushed my written question so I ended up using all of the equipment. How about you?

Ah right. Using all the equipment? I thought that the three insulating materials were separate equipment from the glass beaker, plastic cup and copper can. So, I thought it was impossible to use all of those.
I had the written question at the beginning, so I could finish it off during the other 3 practicals, which was lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope you guys did well! I can't imagine doing a Practical paper, I'm really messy and would've probably ruined everything 😂 I did Paper 6 (the alternative).

Quick Reply

Latest