Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I have problem understanding how to declare my household income for maintanence loan.

Currently me and my girlfriend are living together with 3 housemates in a house. I'm 29 and she is 25. I'm working 30 hours a week, and she is working full time. When I'm going to start Uni, I will change to part time shift, and she will stay on full time.

But the question is, whether I have to put my income into the aplication, or just hers. I'm a little confused because of that:

This section tells you how we use the information you supply to decide how much student finance you can get. We’ll look at your household income which includes

• for dependent students, your parents’ income (see note below)

• for independent students, your husband, wife or civil partner’s income or your partner’s income if you’re over 25

And that:

You should include details of any taxable unearned income you receive from the following sources:

• bank or building society gross interest

• property, lettings or rent

• dividends or investments

• trusts or sponsorships

• any other payment received for attending the course

You should only include payments from an employer if you are being released from your employment by your employer to attend your course. Income from earnings during an academic year of your course (including holiday, evening or weekend work) doesn’t need to be declared

Thank you very much in advance
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Xivv)
    Hi guys.

I have problem understanding how to declare my household income for maintanence loan.

Currently me and my girlfriend are living together with 3 housemates in a house. I'm 29 and she is 25. I'm working 30 hours a week, and she is working full time. When I'm going to start Uni, I will change to part time shift, and she will stay on full time.

But the question is, whether I have to put my income into the aplication, or just hers. I'm a little confused because of that:

This section tells you how we use the information you supply to decide how much student finance you can get. We’ll look at your household income which includes

• for dependent students, your parents’ income (see note below)

• for independent students, your husband, wife or civil partner’s income or your partner’s income if you’re over 25

And that:

You should include details of any taxable unearned income you receive from the following sources:

• bank or building society gross interest

• property, lettings or rent

• dividends or investments

• trusts or sponsorships

• any other payment received for attending the course

You should only include payments from an employer if you are being released from your employment by your employer to attend your course. Income from earnings during an academic year of your course (including holiday, evening or weekend work) doesn’t need to be declared

Thank you very much in advance
    You just declare your girlfriends income from 2014/15 tax year.

For you: "Income from earnings during an academic year of your course (including holiday, evening or weekend work) doesn’t need to be declared"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You just declare your girlfriends income from 2014/15 tax year.

For you: "Income from earnings during an academic year of your course (including holiday, evening or weekend work) doesn’t need to be declared"

Thank you for you response, just to clarify, when they ask me for household income, instead of giving them our combined wages, just put her's without mine?

It seems stupid, when they specifically ask for combined and you put just your partner alone. What's the point of confusing people asking for combined one, I don't get it.

Cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.