Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. Notions of 'national sovereignty' that the EU is infringing upon has nothing to do with you. Unless you have strong direct influence in UK politics, then whether an Englishman (or Britishman) legislates is irrelevant to you. Only the nature of legislation is relevant to you. This is a sort of Game of Thrones, in which you are not a player.

2. 'We are losing £x billion in maintaining the EU' - Irrelevant to you because once you divide the membership fee by the tax paying population size, you'll realize it doesn't amount to much. Oh but this money could be invested in the our country instead. Well, the question that is more valid to ask rather is whether you personally benefit from EU infrastructure or not. If so, then you're benefiting from that particular infrastructure, where it comes from is irrelevant.

3. 'Britain is hindered from global trade' - Even if that were true (I don't think it's completely honest), unless you're a businessman who has an interest to trade with non-EU nations on whom tariffs are imposed, this has nothing to do with you.

I recommend protecting your interests. There is no 'national interest'. There are only the interests of the dominant political players, which are refreshed accordingly as time passes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wow you just killed my hype for season 6.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping to find a post filled with parallels but you've disappointed me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrownedDeity)
    2. 'We are losing £x billion in maintaining the EU' - Irrelevant to you because once you divide the membership fee by the tax paying population size, you'll realize it doesn't amount to much. Oh but this money could be invested in the our country instead. Well, the question that is more valid to ask rather is whether you personally benefit from EU infrastructure or not. If so, then you're benefiting from that particular infrastructure, where it comes from is irrelevant.
    I think the more pertinent question is "would the money be invested in our country?"

We know from the last 6 years that any money saved will either be offset by tax cuts for the rich or invested in the richest parts of the country.

I live in the North East. It's incredible how many people around here are voting out because they think we're in poverty because we pay money to the EU. We're in poverty because the richest areas get more money and the poorest areas get less. Meanwhile the EU invests in the poorer areas of the country that the government is leaving to rot. I just don't understand how people are so dense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I think the more pertinent question is "would the money be invested in our country?"

We know from the last 6 years that any money saved will either be offset by tax cuts for the rich or invested in the richest parts of the country.

I live in the North East. It's incredible how many people around here are voting out because they think we're in poverty because we pay money to the EU. We're in poverty because the richest areas get more money and the poorest areas get less. Meanwhile the EU invests in the poorer areas of the country that the government is leaving to rot. I just don't understand how people are so dense.

Yep. It's quite sad to be honest, they're being manipulated by opportunistic politicians.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.