Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm an archaeology first year at UCL currently living in halls. Before uni I couldn't wait to leave home and move to London after spending so much time in Brighton. Now that I'm here, though, I'm finding it hard to make London my home - it feels a lot like I'm on a very long holiday, that I don't actually live here.

I think it's partly due to not enjoying my halls (no flats, just small rooms with shared kitchens that makes it feel pretty lonely), but also London itself is hard for me to feel comfortable in. Not saying I've been miserable so far, but thinking about getting my own place there for another two years is pretty daunting and I doubt that I'd be any happier - not to mention the toll this has taken on my mental health.

I've been considering moving back home and commuting from Brighton at least for second year, to really sort out my depression/anxiety, and possibly find a place in London for my third year. It'd be a journey of around 1hr 1/2 each way and a season train ticket would work out as less paid each week than living in London.

I'm going to talk to teachers/friends/counselling about it all, but I'd really like some advice from anyone that's been in the same position!

ReputationRep:
    I commute for 35 minutes each way daily for college and its ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon17)
    I commute for 35 minutes each way daily for college and its ****.
    Should say I used to make a 40-45 minute bus journey twice a day for sixth form (often for 8:30 am classes) which I didn't find awful.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds incredibly stressful to do.

ReputationRep:
    Nah bro, I can 100% guarantee you that it just wouldn't help your depression in the long term. It's just too long of a journey and your sleeping and working hours will be affected FOR SURE. Don't do it. Find another accomodation in London and tough it out. Remember your future goals of being the world's greatest architect to keep you going; you're only there to study. Not to party and have fun necessarily (although you can have some leisure time to keep you going).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Nah bro, I can 100% guarantee you that it just wouldn't help your depression in the long term. It's just too long of a journey and your sleeping and working hours will be affected FOR SURE. Don't do it. Find another accomodation in London and tough it out. Remember your future goals of being the world's greatest architect to keep you going; you're only there to study. Not to party and have fun necessarily (although you can have some leisure time to keep you going).
    "Tough it out" is easy to say if you're not in their shoes. If they are considering commuting from Brighton then things must really be bad in halls.

ReputationRep:
    Would you need to be in London every day OP? Depending on how your hours are, there could be days you work from home in Brighton since you'll have no lectures or classes? I know for my History degree, especially after the first year we didn't have classes every day. That would help lessen some of the stress of commuting, but it will still be very draining to commute three hours a day on the days you do have contact hours. It will also likely affect your ability to attend social events, societies and so forth in the evenings since you know you'll have a 1.5-hour journey ahead of you at the end of it. Of course you can stay with friends etc., but that does require a bit of pre-planning often.

If you were hoping to perhaps be at home some days during the week, you'd also have to try & be organised - making sure you have the resources you need for any work that needs doing, organising which library books you need, and so forth. It's all doable of course, but it needs more thought and a bit more planning compared to when the library is close by.

On a final note, are you sure that your depression/anxiety is being caused by living in London? Your concerns - about not feeling 'at home' or really settled are common for first-years, and often not a product of the place, so much as the change in your life from moving out, being responsible for yourself, etc. It seems to me that perhaps you're a bit scared of the prospect of renting privately and being 'out there' and a grown-up, away from the security of university halls. Of course, I could be hugely misunderstanding you, but you'll need to carefully weigh up the decision to undertake an onerous commute, and the impact it could have on your academic and social life, compared with the 'daunting' feeling of renting in London. Good luck with your decision

ReputationRep:
    Just get better accomodation next year. First year is always a gamble for everyone, that is why in 2nd year you have more experience

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friend is commuting from Leicester and it only works for her because she has very few contact out and she wants to move back next year.

I doubt it will help you OP. Remember, London is massive. If you don't like that inner city feel you may prefer living a few zones out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by garlantyrell)
    Hi! I'm an archaeology first year at UCL currently living in halls. Before uni I couldn't wait to leave home and move to London after spending so much time in Brighton. Now that I'm here, though, I'm finding it hard to make London my home - it feels a lot like I'm on a very long holiday, that I don't actually live here.

I think it's partly due to not enjoying my halls (no flats, just small rooms with shared kitchens that makes it feel pretty lonely), but also London itself is hard for me to feel comfortable in. Not saying I've been miserable so far, but thinking about getting my own place there for another two years is pretty daunting and I doubt that I'd be any happier - not to mention the toll this has taken on my mental health.

I've been considering moving back home and commuting from Brighton at least for second year, to really sort out my depression/anxiety, and possibly find a place in London for my third year. It'd be a journey of around 1hr 1/2 each way and a season train ticket would work out as less paid each week than living in London.

I'm going to talk to teachers/friends/counselling about it all, but I'd really like some advice from anyone that's been in the same position!
    I would 100% say don't do this. Commuting between Brighton and London is expensive and a nightmare - the trains are horribly unrealiable, especially at peak times. Last year the 7:52am Brighton - London Vic train was delayed every. single. day. An hour and a half on the train is draining, and if you're traveling when it's busy it's likely you won't get a seat, so it's not like you'll be able to put the hours to good use as you won't have a table for using your laptop, etc. I used to commute daily London to near Brighton and it was exhausting. Never again.

I'm glad you'll be talking to your uni about how you're feeling - that seems like a good step in the right direction. The second and third years of university are often very different to the first. You'll be in your own house so it's much more chilled than halls. I understand what you're saying about London not feeling like home but I think a lot of people feel that way - sometimes it takes longer than you think to settle in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlantyrell)

Hi OP,
    i commute to king's college in ldn, and have done for the whole of my first year (just finishing). My commute is a total of 4 hours (2 there and 2 back a day)
    everyone told me i couldn't do it. well.. i have.
    i work 2 jobs. one in my hometown, & one at my uni which i acquired a couple of months ago. i'm also a student rep for my subject. i also have a great social life & have plenty of friends both in my hometown & ldn, who i stay with regularly. i attend societies. I've been getting decent marks throughout the year too.
    You can do it. you gotta be focused, committed, but you can do it. it's hard work and everyone laughed at me when i told 'em, but hey, it was the only way for me. I don't have enough money to live in Ldn. & the money i have saved this year is crazy. yes it's been hard. but if you want something & are dedicated enough you can make it happen.
    if plenty of business people can commute into Ldn then why not?? commuting is something plenty of working adults do, soooo..
    also, personally i am a very 'on the go' person and the idea of only have ten hours of contact time a week sounds boring, so filling my time with work/social/etc has been my best option . but that's just me.
    you have got to do what's best for you, i'm just saying it is possible! there are cons of course, but that's like anything. if you genuinely think commuting would help your mental health then i'm here to tell you it's definitely doable if you have the right attitude ^^
    if ya wanna message me to chat more feel free :-)
    everything is possible & if your feeling depressed follow your heart and do what you need to do to make yourself feel better. people who ain't never been there can't judge. yes it'll be difficult but it sure isn't impossible
    they told me i couldn't do it but i have.

ReputationRep:
    Some reading material for the OP to mull over.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...or-a-year.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlleyO)
    Hi OP,
    i commute to king's college in ldn, and have done for the whole of my first year (just finishing). My commute is a total of 4 hours (2 there and 2 back a day)
    everyone told me i couldn't do it. well.. i have.
    i work 2 jobs. one in my hometown, & one at my uni which i acquired a couple of months ago. i'm also a student rep for my subject. i also have a great social life & have plenty of friends both in my hometown & ldn, who i stay with regularly. i attend societies. I've been getting decent marks throughout the year too.
    You can do it. you gotta be focused, committed, but you can do it. it's hard work and everyone laughed at me when i told 'em, but hey, it was the only way for me. I don't have enough money to live in Ldn. & the money i have saved this year is crazy. yes it's been hard. but if you want something & are dedicated enough you can make it happen.
    if plenty of business people can commute into Ldn then why not?? commuting is something plenty of working adults do, soooo..
    also, personally i am a very 'on the go' person and the idea of only have ten hours of contact time a week sounds boring, so filling my time with work/social/etc has been my best option . but that's just me.
    you have got to do what's best for you, i'm just saying it is possible! there are cons of course, but that's like anything. if you genuinely think commuting would help your mental health then i'm here to tell you it's definitely doable if you have the right attitude ^^
    if ya wanna message me to chat more feel free :-)
    everything is possible & if your feeling depressed follow your heart and do what you need to do to make yourself feel better. people who ain't never been there can't judge. yes it'll be difficult but it sure isn't impossible
    they told me i couldn't do it but i have.
    What a life...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    What a life...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    is that sarcastic lol...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.