Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Today (23 April), I went to an open day at Plymouth and LOOOVED it.
    I wasnt very impressed with the accommodation though. Originally, I wanted to have an en suite room, but it doesn't even seem worth the price. So if I go into halls, I'm thinking about going in Robbins halls, just a standard room as its like 100? Pretty Cheap. I have a few questions though about them.

How many people would I be sharing with in a bathroom?
    A student ambassador was saying how you pay like 25 pounds extra to clean your own bathroom... I don't think it will be that bad anyway after I've got comfortable with my flatmates.
    Okay, but honestly, Id rather stay in private shared accommodation that is within like a 5 minute walk to the uni campus. But that shared accommodation to be filled with first years? Is that even a thing? Are their specific accommodation for first years that's within 5 minutes to the uni. (I don't want to miss all the campus activities)
    Private accommodation is so much nicer with bigger rooms and you can normally get an en suite for like 100 pounds a week x.x I just want it to be with people in the same situation as me so i can make friends.

Sorry if i wrote too much!
    Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Heatherxll,

Thank you very much for your message, we're very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Open Day on Saturday! I have been in touch with our Residence Life and Student Service team to help you with your queries.

"Thanks for your message. Living in halls with shared bathrooms can be very cost effective, this year Gilwell has brand new bathrooms which you can view on our website. Usually 5/6 people share a bathroom and once you get to know your flat mates it will get easier, cleaners will also clean the communal facilities for you.

If you do choose to live in private accommodation, we have our own database called Plymouth Studentpad. All of the properties on here have been inspected by the University. We can’t guarantee that 1st years will be living in the house unfortunately but most of the houses are very close to the University so you shouldn’t miss out on campus activities. Most people tend to choose halls for their first year for the Residence Life experience, with 24 hour support and activities arranged by the resident assistants. If you need any further help please contact [email protected].

Anna"

I hope this information is helpful to you, please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions or queries

Matt, Hannah and Dale

@PlymUniApply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plymouth University)
    Hi Heatherxll,

Thank you very much for your message, we're very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Open Day on Saturday! I have been in touch with our Residence Life and Student Service team to help you with your queries.

"Thanks for your message. Living in halls with shared bathrooms can be very cost effective, this year Gilwell has brand new bathrooms which you can view on our website. Usually 5/6 people share a bathroom and once you get to know your flat mates it will get easier, cleaners will also clean the communal facilities for you.

If you do choose to live in private accommodation, we have our own database called Plymouth Studentpad. All of the properties on here have been inspected by the University. We can’t guarantee that 1st years will be living in the house unfortunately but most of the houses are very close to the University so you shouldn’t miss out on campus activities. Most people tend to choose halls for their first year for the Residence Life experience, with 24 hour support and activities arranged by the resident assistants. If you need any further help please contact [email protected].

Anna"

I hope this information is helpful to you, please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions or queries

Matt, Hannah and Dale

@PlymUniApply
    Thank you for the reply. I am going to have a look at the studentpad but can't yet as I haven't had an email login or anything sent to me by Plymouth yet. I only accepted the offer yesterday so

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year who's going to live in shared student housing, you definitely won't be the only one

ReputationRep:
    I reckon hauls will be a better experience especially as a 1st year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Halls definitely better in first year! Easier to make friends and keep up with what's going on at uni. You can move to private accommodation in second year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.