Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm an international student studying A Levels in England currently, taking subjects Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm in AS level now, will apply this October and would like to specialize in Physics in uni, and I was told that in Cambridge either Natural Sciences or Mathematics can lead to further studies in Physics. My main concern is that for international student it is much more expensive to do Natsci than Maths, but STEP is required for Maths but not Natsci.

Is there any suggestions on which route is the best to take in my case? I would say I have a fair shot on Natsci but not sure about Maths.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JasonHcamb)
    Hi everyone, I'm an international student studying A Levels in England currently, taking subjects Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm in AS level now, will apply this October and would like to specialize in Physics in uni, and I was told that in Cambridge either Natural Sciences or Mathematics can lead to further studies in Physics. My main concern is that for international student it is much more expensive to do Natsci than Maths, but STEP is required for Maths but not Natsci.

Is there any suggestions on which route is the best to take in my case? I would say I have a fair shot on Natsci but not sure about Maths.
    Good question!

Yes Maths with Physics will have a STEP offer, likely to be 1,1 in STEP II and III.

The upshot is that Maths has a much higher offer rate but slightly lower acceptance rate than NatSci. e.g. in 2015 the overall acceptance rate (accepted/applied) for Maths was 19% vs 21% for NatSci.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics

You pays your money and takes your choice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Good question!

Yes Maths with Physics will have a STEP offer, likely to be 1,1 in STEP II and III.

The upshot is that Maths has a much higher offer rate but slightly lower acceptance rate than NatSci. e.g. in 2015 the overall acceptance rate (accepted/applied) for Maths was 19% vs 21% for NatSci.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics

You pays your money and takes your choice...
    Thanks for the information, I'll think about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.