Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    In the future I would like to become a children's nurse.

At the moment I am about to sit my GCSE's. I'm doing Maths, English, Core (year ten) Science, Drama, Btec Music and Citizenship. I would have been doing more than this - and separate science - but I was ill last year and missed 10 months of school. I have/had (I'm mostly recovered - but I guess it'll always be there) serve OCD which caused me to be a danger to myself. I was sectioned.

Would my past health issues be an issue for getting into university and studying nursing? I also have some scarring on my arms from incidents where I got hurt, which look kind of like suicide attempts (but weren't), would this be an issue?

I have also been looking at what I can do to get into university. I'd hope to go to Coventry, and on UCAS it says A levels at ABB (does that mean 3 A levels?) or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I could do that here - https://www.warwickshire.ac.uk/cours....aspx?Id=11576
    Would this course be a good way to get into the university course and teach me relevant things to help on the course? Or would A Levels be better?

My issue with doing A Levels is I haven't got my year eleven science because I was ill. I was in top set science before I got ill, so I don't think I'm too bad it at. I've read that Biology is an important A level for nursing, but would I find it too hard without already having done the full science gcse course?

What A levels should I take? If I go here http://www.stratford.ac.uk/a-levels/ and take
    Biology (if I get into it)
    Sociology or Psychology
    Drama

Would that be more helpful for the uni course than doing the health and social btec? If I can't do biology, maybe sociology and psychology?
    And if I don't get enough gcse's to do A Levels, would doing the btec while redoing my GCSE's I didn't get be a good idea?

I'm really passionate about looking after people and love children, which is why I'm so nervous to make the right choices, and I'm so so grateful for any help anyone can give me!

One more thing - when should I start looking for experience? I've helped out in my dance school for a couple years with the younger kids, and I currently waitress (which is kinda people work? Haha).

T H A N K Y O U
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by powerpuffshol)
    Hi!
    In the future I would like to become a children's nurse.

At the moment I am about to sit my GCSE's. I'm doing Maths, English, Core (year ten) Science, Drama, Btec Music and Citizenship. I would have been doing more than this - and separate science - but I was ill last year and missed 10 months of school. I have/had (I'm mostly recovered - but I guess it'll always be there) serve OCD which caused me to be a danger to myself. I was sectioned.

Would my past health issues be an issue for getting into university and studying nursing? I also have some scarring on my arms from incidents where I got hurt, which look kind of like suicide attempts (but weren't), would this be an issue?

I have also been looking at what I can do to get into university. I'd hope to go to Coventry, and on UCAS it says A levels at ABB (does that mean 3 A levels?) or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I could do that here - https://www.warwickshire.ac.uk/cours....aspx?Id=11576
    Would this course be a good way to get into the university course and teach me relevant things to help on the course? Or would A Levels be better?

My issue with doing A Levels is I haven't got my year eleven science because I was ill. I was in top set science before I got ill, so I don't think I'm too bad it at. I've read that Biology is an important A level for nursing, but would I find it too hard without already having done the full science gcse course?

What A levels should I take? If I go here http://www.stratford.ac.uk/a-levels/ and take
    Biology (if I get into it)
    Sociology or Psychology
    Drama

Would that be more helpful for the uni course than doing the health and social btec? If I can't do biology, maybe sociology and psychology?
    And if I don't get enough gcse's to do A Levels, would doing the btec while redoing my GCSE's I didn't get be a good idea?

I'm really passionate about looking after people and love children, which is why I'm so nervous to make the right choices, and I'm so so grateful for any help anyone can give me!

One more thing - when should I start looking for experience? I've helped out in my dance school for a couple years with the younger kids, and I currently waitress (which is kinda people work? Haha).

T H A N K Y O U
    Okay, you have a lot of questions so I'll try and answer them systematically but please let me know if I've missed something or haven't covered it in enough detail.

Regarding past health issues, you must declare these to the Occupational Health department at the uni (you'll be given an opportunity to do this). There are no issues since as you've said, it was in the past, you've sought treatment and you're mostly better now. OH will be interested to know how much you are still affected and whether this will impact upon the care you provide, you need to be honest with them so that they can make adjustments for you if needed. Since you've been treated, this shouldn't be an issue, but obviously it's hard to say without knowing what 'mostly recovered' means.

There won't be an easier way to get onto the course so it doesn't really matter whether you pick the BTEC or A Levels, just go for whichever learning style suits you most. A Levels are more academic and arguably a better choice because of that, but plenty of people do nursing with a BTEC. ABB refers to three A-Levels. Most A Level courses won't take you for Biology unless you've done separate sciences at GCSE, but you could contact them to discuss your situation.

For A Level choices, most nursing courses request at least one science, Biology will be really useful but some do consider Psychology a science (again, some don't so always best to check with the uni before making a decision). I honestly cannot recommend that you take Drama at A-Level, it's seen as a soft subject and won't be very relevant to nursing. You'd be much better off taking another science, a language or English, for example, as these are more academic subjects with more transferable skills to nursing.

With regards to work experience and volunteering, start as soon as possible. Any sort of work with children or vulnerable adults will be useful and relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Okay, you have a lot of questions so I'll try and answer them systematically but please let me know if I've missed something or haven't covered it in enough detail.

Regarding past health issues, you must declare these to the Occupational Health department at the uni (you'll be given an opportunity to do this). There are no issues since as you've said, it was in the past, you've sought treatment and you're mostly better now. OH will be interested to know how much you are still affected and whether this will impact upon the care you provide, you need to be honest with them so that they can make adjustments for you if needed. Since you've been treated, this shouldn't be an issue, but obviously it's hard to say without knowing what 'mostly recovered' means.

There won't be an easier way to get onto the course so it doesn't really matter whether you pick the BTEC or A Levels, just go for whichever learning style suits you most. A Levels are more academic and arguably a better choice because of that, but plenty of people do nursing with a BTEC. ABB refers to three A-Levels. Most A Level courses won't take you for Biology unless you've done separate sciences at GCSE, but you could contact them to discuss your situation.

For A Level choices, most nursing courses request at least one science, Biology will be really useful but some do consider Psychology a science (again, some don't so always best to check with the uni before making a decision). I honestly cannot recommend that you take Drama at A-Level, it's seen as a soft subject and won't be very relevant to nursing. You'd be much better off taking another science, a language or English, for example, as these are more academic subjects with more transferable skills to nursing.

With regards to work experience and volunteering, start as soon as possible. Any sort of work with children or vulnerable adults will be useful and relevant.
    Thank you so much for your helpful response!! This has really helped me make this decision.

I think I will go for the BTEC, as I much prefer coursework to exams. Do you have any ideas as to where I could get experience after GCSE exams (I am sixteen, so volunteering in a hospital setting wouldn't be allowed right?).

Also do you have any opinions on whether the visible scars on my arms will cause an issue during placements at uni? They wont fade as I've been quite injured, and I am aware the NHS has a strict bare below the elbow policy. They are however clearly very old.

I'm so excited to kind of have a plan for this
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you so much for your helpful response!! This has really helped me make this decision.

I think I will go for the BTEC, as I much prefer coursework to exams. Do you have any ideas as to where I could get experience after GCSE exams (I am sixteen, so volunteering in a hospital setting wouldn't be allowed right?).

Also do you have any opinions on whether the visible scars on my arms will cause an issue during placements at uni? They wont fade as I've been quite injured, and I am aware the NHS has a strict bare below the elbow policy. They are however clearly very old.

I got work experience in a hospital when I was 15 and 16 but this was through a highly competitive program, but it can be done if you find the right sort of way in. Your town/city should have a volunteering centre of some sort which will be able to advise you of local opportunities. It doesn't need to be in a hospital or care related (although this is ideal), you just need to demonstrate caring and compassionate behaviour through it. You could also approach various places for work experience, even a day or two would be beneficial (nursing homes will often take younger people to play dominoes etc. with their residents). Finding a children's nurse to discuss the career with is a good idea too, and useful for your UCAS application.

No, they won't cause any issues, there are plenty of people with visible scars who do nursing and it is a non-issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    I got work experience in a hospital when I was 15 and 16 but this was through a highly competitive program, but it can be done if you find the right sort of way in. Your town/city should have a volunteering centre of some sort which will be able to advise you of local opportunities. It doesn't need to be in a hospital or care related (although this is ideal), you just need to demonstrate caring and compassionate behaviour through it. You could also approach various places for work experience, even a day or two would be beneficial (nursing homes will often take younger people to play dominoes etc. with their residents). Finding a children's nurse to discuss the career with is a good idea too, and useful for your UCAS application.

No, they won't cause any issues, there are plenty of people with visible scars who do nursing and it is a non-issue.
    Thank you so much for your help! I'm going to go looking for experience after exams, and have interviews for two colleges this month to do the BTEC

You could do the health and social care BTEC but it will consist of some exams.

ReputationRep:
    Having mental health issues should not be a problem in getting onto the course. I have Bipolar Disorder and it was never an issue but I did have to declare it to Occupational Health but they were fine. I also have visible SH scars on both my arms and it's fine. Sometimes people are curious about how I got them (although it is quite evident I did them myself lol) but I just tell them I used to SH but it's all good now.

Nurse training has changed an awful lot since I started it 7 years ago so some of the others may be able to offer better advice on the best route into university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    You could do the health and social care BTEC but it will consist of some exams.
    Thanks, exams are something I think I have to deal with if I want to do nursing, exams are fine (I tell myself :P )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButterflyRN)
    Having mental health issues should not be a problem in getting onto the course. I have Bipolar Disorder and it was never an issue but I did have to declare it to Occupational Health but they were fine. I also have visible SH scars on both my arms and it's fine. Sometimes people are curious about how I got them (although it is quite evident I did them myself lol) but I just tell them I used to SH but it's all good now.

Nurse training has changed an awful lot since I started it 7 years ago so some of the others may be able to offer better advice on the best route into university.
    Did you find children asked about the scars, and in that case did you tell them something different? I really struggle being open about my OCD and psychotic episodes, because when I have been honest in the past people have started treating me differently. My current school treats me like I am made of glass! I would hate for that to happen when I eventually study at uni, though I can imagine not being a minor would affect how people react to mental health issues.
    Also I'm glad its all good now in regards to SH. I saw people go through horrible things with SH while I was being treated in psychiatric hospital, and it's really tough, so well done for getting through it!

Thanks, exams are something I think I have to deal with if I want to do nursing, exams are fine (I tell myself :P )
    Cool.

ReputationRep:
    Did you find children asked about the scars, and in that case did you tell them something different? I really struggle being open about my OCD and psychotic episodes, because when I have been honest in the past people have started treating me differently. My current school treats me like I am made of glass! I would hate for that to happen when I eventually study at uni, though I can imagine not being a minor would affect how people react to mental health issues.
    Also I'm glad its all good now in regards to SH. I saw people go through horrible things with SH while I was being treated in psychiatric hospital, and it's really tough, so well done for getting through it!

I didn't do Children's nursing, I did Adult's but I have never had a patient or relative ask about the scars, only other members of staff. I kept my MH issues hidden at work for a long time, but I had a psychotic episode and had a couple of weeks off work whilst I recovered so it came out in the end. I had nothing but support from my team and they have been great.

ReputationRep:

OP, I started a work experience thread a while back. There are loads of suggestions for work experience there: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3546665

The advice already given to you on here is excellent. I am a qualified children's nurse, so if you want to do discuss anything particularly relevant just to children's nursing, then I am happy to help

ReputationRep:
    OP you will likely need a double award if not seperate sicences at GCSE especially if not offering tham at level 3

mental health issues - it;s an occ health matter, they will be looking for current health, whether you have good insight into your condition, whether you have a recent histroy of putting yourself or others at risk , what you are like with compliance with your own meds ( if on any) .

hiding your MH history is a bigger FtP issue than being open about it with occ health and line management

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.