Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm currently working in Phuket, Thailand as an English and science teacher. I'm looking to move up the ladder to one of the well-paid international schools where I can work as a proper chemistry teacher, and to do that I'll need a PGCE.

I am eligible for a teacher training scholarship or bursary of £25,000 if I return to the UK to do the chemistry PGCE. Obviously I'd much rather do this than get myself in more debt, but I've been warned by friends and colleagues that legal action can be taken against me if I don't take a job in England after I finish the course.

I can't find this in writing anywhere online, so I'm hoping that somebody here might be able to enlighten me. Specific information on the Royal Society of Chemistry's teacher training scholarship would be great, or the government bursary.

Thanks! (Don't look at me that way... just trying to scrape a living!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strangebrew)
    Hey all,

I'm currently working in Phuket, Thailand as an English and science teacher. I'm looking to move up the ladder to one of the well-paid international schools where I can work as a proper chemistry teacher, and to do that I'll need a PGCE.

I am eligible for a teacher training scholarship or bursary of £25,000 if I return to the UK to do the chemistry PGCE. Obviously I'd much rather do this than get myself in more debt, but I've been warned by friends and colleagues that legal action can be taken against me if I don't take a job in England after I finish the course.

I can't find this in writing anywhere online, so I'm hoping that somebody here might be able to enlighten me. Specific information on the Royal Society of Chemistry's teacher training scholarship would be great, or the government bursary.

Thanks! (Don't look at me that way... just trying to scrape a living!)
    I don't know about the Royal Society of Chemistry one, but unless things have changed in the last couple of years, I think they've got their facts wrong.

I know a few people on my course (Secondary MFL, 2012-2013) who received a PGCE bursary (I got £20,000) and not all of them went on to complete an NQT year in the UK. Some never went into teaching, some started their NQT year and then quit.

However, I think most International schools will also expect to you have proven experience of teaching to the UK GCSE specifications in a UK school before offering you a job. How about doing your PGCE and a year or two's teaching in the UK to complete your NQT year before moving back to Thailand?

Not criticising you for taking the money and running though. The idea of throwing money at trainees (rather than addressing the real reasons why the UK profession is haemorrhaging teachers) is deeply stupid and deserves to be exploited. Maybe they'll then realise they need to try a new approach to retain the staff they have trained instead of recruit more new teachers who won't stay in the profession.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a Primary PGCE in September and considering teaching abroad one day. I've done a bit of research and all the positions abroad I've seen require at least two years experience teaching in the UK. Just FYI

ReputationRep:
    I have lots of questions about the bursary and any legal questions but also can't find an answer. I need to know what happens if i do tutoring and/or further study? Will they take the bursary back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    I have lots of questions about the bursary and any legal questions but also can't find an answer. I need to know what happens if i do tutoring and/or further study? Will they take the bursary back?
    No - I've never heard of anyone having to pay their bursary back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    No - I've never heard of anyone having to pay their bursary back.
    Likewise, but it is still worrying as i had to sign saying i would seek a job, that is my intention but i would like to study more so it will be part time probably

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies. UK teaching experience isn't an absolute requirement at my local international school. I emailed RSC for a copy of the terms and conditions for accepting a PGCE scholarship from them. Their reply was:

There are no terms and conditions that you sign if you accept a Royal Society of Chemistry Teacher Training Scholarship.

I guess that concludes the matter? I'm afraid to ask directly about teaching abroad in case they recognise my name when I apply XD

S27 which bursary made you sign that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strangebrew)

S27 which bursary made you sign that?
    It was the FE bursary. I signed saying "i would seek a position in the UK"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.