Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Due to the recent decrease in Music A-level being offered around colleges and sixth forms across the UK. Many Universities have understood the difficulties of Music students wanting to study music. Alternatively instead of the standard A-level Music being the entry requirements to most BA or BMus music courses, there has been an additional qualification of Grade 8 theory which can be accepted instead. Grade 8 theory will allow those unable to do music at sixth form (out of their control) to be able to apply to the likes of many Russel group unis- Oxford, Cambridge ,Durham etc. These universities view grade 8 theory as harder than the a level and in some senses better. However, Manchester University refuses to offer anything less than A-level Music, do you think this is acceptable when many struggle to be able to study Music A-level due to circumstances beyond their control ?

I originally asked the University what I would need to do for applying there, plus any advice they could give me due to my circumstances..I was simply told they weren't interested. I have no general anger towards the uni although was quite upset about how they couldn't even offer any advice. I just wish to know what anyone else thinks?

Thank You .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allofthestars)
    Due to the recent decrease in Music A-level being offered around colleges and sixth forms across the UK. Many Universities have understood the difficulties of Music students wanting to study music. Alternatively instead of the standard A-level Music being the entry requirements to most BA or BMus music courses, there has been an additional qualification of Grade 8 theory which can be accepted instead. Grade 8 theory will allow those unable to do music at sixth form (out of their control) to be able to apply to the likes of many Russel group unis- Oxford, Cambridge ,Durham etc. These universities view grade 8 theory as harder than the a level and in some senses better. However, Manchester University refuses to offer anything less than A-level Music, do you think this is acceptable when many struggle to be able to study Music A-level due to circumstances beyond their control ?

I originally asked the University what I would need to do for applying there, plus any advice they could give me due to my circumstances..I was simply told they weren't interested. I have no general anger towards the uni although was quite upset about how they couldn't even offer any advice. I just wish to know what anyone else thinks?

Thank You .
    Unfortunately the reality is very likely to be a combination of
    a) the course builds on topics that are taught at A Level, meaning that any student without A Level music would struggle when they got there
    b) they're getting enough applicants to fill all their spaces

It's a shame that you won't be able to do a music degree there, but they can't be held responsible for the A Level provision (or lack thereof) in your local area. As you say, you can go elsewhere - go out and find a unis that you like the look of. I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you do end up.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Pursue the RNCM, they're in Manchester.

They're more likely to be flexible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.