Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what is an escape lane for how does it work ? what is change in momentum ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Help I am studying GCSe OCR Physics and I am stuck in trying to explain

What is an escape lane for how does it work ? what is change in momentum ? stopping force / stopping time etc very confused ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ward6)
    Help I am studying GCSe OCR Physics and I am stuck in trying to explain

What is an escape lane for how does it work ? what is change in momentum ? stopping force / stopping time etc very confused ....

When you've got a road going down a steep hill into a town there's a risk that a vehicle might have brake failure on the hill and be unable to control it's speed.
    The escape lane is a strip of deep gravel similar to the gravel traps used in motor racing circuits onto which the driver of a runaway vehicle going downhill can steer.

In the USA they're called runaway truck ramps. Here's one in action

and here are some American highway engineers explaining how their newly installed one works

and here's a british one on the A6 near Bakewell in google street view - which looks quite wimpy in comparison to the ones the Americans have :/
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.23...8i6656!6m1!1e1

ReputationRep:
    Hello

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.