Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm talking to this guy via text, he knows I like him but I find that I keep making jokes about everything. I'm just constantly trying to be funny. I always wanna make him laugh. I thought that I was being funny to keep the convo interesting and to make him like me, but I think there's more to it. I've read that it's a form of defense mechanism but I don't know why I do it. He says to me why do I always say I'm joking all the time and why do I joke about everything. I really don't want to mess things up with him but I feel like I am. Why do girls do this? If this is a defense mechanism why do I have it? I've never been hurt before

I don't think its purely a girl thing... lots of males do it too

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not just a girl thing, I think a lot of people do it when they either get nervous or try to impress someone. It can also be a way of flirting for some people too. I guess don't read into it too much and worry about it, just be natural and don't try too hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sosoloves)
    So I'm talking to this guy via text, he knows I like him but I find that I keep making jokes about everything. I'm just constantly trying to be funny. I always wanna make him laugh. I thought that I was being funny to keep the convo interesting and to make him like me, but I think there's more to it. I've read that it's a form of defense mechanism but I don't know why I do it. He says to me why do I always say I'm joking all the time and why do I joke about everything. I really don't want to mess things up with him but I feel like I am. Why do girls do this? If this is a defense mechanism why do I have it? I've never been hurt before

OCD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HOLA255)
    OCD
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations you have a sense of humor.

But, you can't always bond over a good joke, sometimes you have to be serious. Maybe he wants to get to know you a bit more without you deflecting it with a joke.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.