Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last minute tips on memorising a 400 word french essay to say out loud! I'm not to worried because I've had A*s on all my other controlled assessments, just can't seem to be able to remember anything I have written!
    Help is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    No secret. Just have to recite it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until you're sick of it. And after you've done that, take a short break and then
    Spoiler:
    Show
    repeat it over and over and over and over and over and over again until you can recite it in your sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    No secret. Just have to recite it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until you're sick of it. And after you've done that, take a short break and then
    Spoiler:
    Show
    repeat it over and over and over and over and over and over again until you can recite it in your sleep
    Yay me Haha thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceharmer15)
    Last minute tips on memorising a 400 word french essay to say out loud! I'm not to worried because I've had A*s on all my other controlled assessments, just can't seem to be able to remember anything I have written!
    Help is much appreciated
    In my experience sitting down and just reading it in chunks really works, bash out the first paragraph, then the second and so on until its permanently engrained into your brain. When I did these speaking's I sat down the night before not knowing any of it and by the time I went to bed I knew it all. Doing it before sleep helps as it stays in your brain over night and trust me you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendog123)
    In my experience sitting down and just reading it in chunks really works, bash out the first paragraph, then the second and so on until its permanently engrained into your brain. When I did these speaking's I sat down the night before not knowing any of it and by the time I went to bed I knew it all. Doing it before sleep helps as it stays in your brain over night and trust me you'll be fine.
    Thank you so much, that's exactly what I've done and it has worked! Just got to learn two more paragraphs, but I'll do that before bed and then run through it again a few times. Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    You could record yourself saying it on your phone or something and then play it continuously while you sleep tonight? That's how I always remember them, when I wake up I know it much better than before I've gone to sleep. I'd just make sure to get and app that will play a recording continuously as I know on my phone you can't do it on the pre-installed voice memo app, but I guess it would depend on your phone or whatever you would record it on

ReputationRep:
    If you're particular good at French you could improvise if you forgot some bits - however otherwise just keep reciting it, record yourself and recite it over and over. You can take a note card in so maybe but the sentence starters or the first letter of each word for pointers. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    If you're particular good at French you could improvise if you forgot some bits - however otherwise just keep reciting it, record yourself and recite it over and over. You can take a note card in so maybe but the sentence starters or the first letter of each word for pointers. Good luck
    Yeah I think that I'll probably improvise a bit - because there's no way I'll learn it word for word! Yeah I'm allowed to take in a sheet with 40 words, but I have a feeling that would just distract me haha. Thanks so much for the advice though xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt)
    You could record yourself saying it on your phone or something and then play it continuously while you sleep tonight? That's how I always remember them, when I wake up I know it much better than before I've gone to sleep. I'd just make sure to get and app that will play a recording continuously as I know on my phone you can't do it on the pre-installed voice memo app, but I guess it would depend on your phone or whatever you would record it on
    That sounds like a really good idea, thank you! I'll definitely try it. Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceharmer15)
    Yeah I think that I'll probably improvise a bit - because there's no way I'll learn it word for word! Yeah I'm allowed to take in a sheet with 40 words, but I have a feeling that would just distract me haha. Thanks so much for the advice though xx
    You're welcome. Yeah I felt mine would've distracted me so I just had a few words with the phonetic pronunciation on so I didn't forget haha! xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Although you're only at GCSE, you probably do know more french than you realise and could improvise if you get stuck. I can't memorise anything so I learnt a few landmark phrases throughout my essay and just practiced improvising in between them. Landmark phrases are important so you don't get lost or waffle and you can make sure you're meeting all the criteria, I had the first word or two of each of these on my 40 word sheet. Splitting it into sections will definitely help too, things like writing it out in different colours to help you visualise it in the exam are helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Although you're only at GCSE, you probably do know more french than you realise and could improvise if you get stuck. I can't memorise anything so I learnt a few landmark phrases throughout my essay and just practiced improvising in between them. Landmark phrases are important so you don't get lost or waffle and you can make sure you're meeting all the criteria, I had the first word or two of each of these on my 40 word sheet. Splitting it into sections will definitely help too, things like writing it out in different colours to help you visualise it in the exam are helpful.
    Thanks this was really helpful xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.