Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone use DC++ file sharing? (THINK: Computing Forum) watch

ReputationRep:
    superb program

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equili3rium)
    superb program
    I much prefer bittorrent, although this is in the wrong place, try the computing sub-forum.

ReputationRep:
    superb program
    yea its good..so is soulseek

ReputationRep:
    <yawn>

THINK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    DC++ is the dog's if you've got a fast connection and can hop around hubs like nobody's business looking for stuff, you can usually get anything you want (unlike Kazaa et al) but also unlike Kazaa et al its bloody rubbish if you've got a slow connection (like me) as hopping around hubs and searching is painfully slow.
    And some hubs have a sharing cap, so unless you have loads to share to begin with, it is useless.

ReputationRep:
    Got no probs there with quite a few DVD rips on my HDs...
    I had the good part of a 120GB full, but then it died. I still stick my bittorrent, I get really nice speeds on it, sometimes over 60KB/s

ReputationRep:
    No one use IRC?
    usually i use a mixture of everything... bittorrent, emule, ftp and irc... i rarely use dc and never use kazaa
    (well at the moment i am only using bittorrent... azereus is the easiest thing to use in linux...)

ReputationRep:
    Not for ages since DALnet went tits up, which servers are the best for fserve these days?
    not sure... i mainly use irc to get some mp3s and s60 software(for phone)... i used to get ps2 games and a few films from there but the long queues pissed me off too much... i use bt and emule for them now... i also use irc for "private" transfering sometimes... but use ftp for that more often now...
    I have all the good servers i used saved on my list thingy... but thats in windows... which doesnt work (i screwed it up somehow)... thats y i am using linux... and i prefer linux now
    Efnet (obviously) has a lot of stuff on there... but i think it was mostly xdcc bots...
    there was a channel called boogiePS2 or something (cant remember server)... that has all the new ps2 games appearing quickly... on fservers too sometimes
    why dont you check out packetnews or ircspy...? they usually list all the good servers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    not sure... i mainly use irc to get some mp3s and s60 software(for phone)... i used to get ps2 games and a few films from there but the long queues pissed me off too much... i use bt and emule for them now... i also use irc for "private" transfering sometimes... but use ftp for that more often now...
    I have all the good servers i used saved on my list thingy... but thats in windows... which doesnt work (i screwed it up somehow)... thats y i am using linux... and i prefer linux now
    Efnet (obviously) has a lot of stuff on there... but i think it was mostly xdcc bots...
    there was a channel called boogiePS2 or something (cant remember server)... that has all the new ps2 games appearing quickly... on fservers too sometimes
    why dont you check out packetnews or ircspy...? they usually list all the good servers...
    Everything you can ever want can be found for bittorrent, just check out suprnova.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Everything you can ever want can be found for bittorrent, just check out suprnova.
    suprnova is quite dodgy in some ways... have you ever heard of peer guardian etc...
    well PG goes crazy apparantly with stuff from there...
    often my azereus blocklist shows ips of big record companies and anti-piracy servers etc. when i get stuff from suprnova... (i know suprnova doesn't actually host the trackers; thats done by different sites... but its still an advert for anti-piracy companies to get your IP)... Torrentbits is a 0 day site and IMO its the best for getting new films from bittorrent... if you look at some new releases... sometimes there is only 1 seeder with 1000s of leechers on suprnova... but on torrentbits everything is well seeded because it runs on a ratio system torrentbits's tracker also blocks some of the IPs of anti piracy people like the RIAA...

I will do, muchas gracias.
    your welcome

ReputationRep:
    Im using bit torrent DC++ and kazaa.
    Using BT for the newest stuff as well as a bit dated things, DC++ is superb for a bit older stuff as well as new especially old songs and you dont get them corrupted songs like you do in kazaa tho not in the new version, kazaa is mostly used to download music cos it is a bit more convenient than dc++ and you download from more than one source at the time so i can get 170kb/sec + , and on DC++ it can be hard to find an individual with fast connecttion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexazver203)
    Im using bit torrent DC++ and kazaa.
    Using BT for the newest stuff as well as a bit dated things, DC++ is superb for a bit older stuff as well as new especially old songs and you dont get them corrupted songs like you do in kazaa tho not in the new version, kazaa is mostly used to download music cos it is a bit more convenient than dc++ and you download from more than one source at the time so i can get 170kb/sec + , and on DC++ it can be hard to find an individual with fast connecttion.
    I have found some good stuff off kazaa, about 10 CDs of game rips actually, it's just that during downloads I frequently found they were corrupted, whereas bittorrent has hash checking.

ReputationRep:
    eMule, DC++, BitTorrent++ == win.

ReputationRep:
    can u give me some BT sites apart from suprnova?

ReputationRep:
    depends what you are looking for...
    my favourite is torrentbits.org

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    depends what you are looking for...
    my favourite is torrentbits.org
    if you want anime a.scarywater.net is a good one.

ReputationRep:
    torrentreactor.net
    torrents.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    torrentreactor.net
    torrents.co.uk
    tut tut, you really shouldn't post hot links, it could get UKL into trouble

Check the client my friend made.. It's great:

http://www.bittorrentsearch.net/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fantasy`)
    Check the client my friend made.. It's great:

http://www.bittorrentsearch.net/
    This is looking very good, I am impressed

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 3, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.