Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips on how to do the textual analysis paper? I am thinking of doing the prose non-fiction, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Our teacher has yet to go through a complete textual analysis with us, and I am beginning to worry!

ReputationRep:
    Step 1 - open paper
    Step 2 - cry

After that glance over each genre before deciding on one, look at the question so you know what to look for, and then read the passage through closely - highlighting any techniques that seem immediately obvious and applicable to the question.

My class has been told to avoid prose non-fiction as we haven't studied it at all and haven't been taught any of the techniques we would have to talk about. However with regards to poetry there's the usual structure, sound, imagery, tone, persona etc etc. With short stories, setting, character, imagery, narrative structure, narrative stance etc. And for drama: lighting, characterisation, dialogue, sound, props etc etc.

It's basically just an exercise in noticing all the things you would be taught in class if you were studying that genre in one hour and thirty minutes, and then squishing it into an essay, as the SQA tend to leave the essay questions quite vague and open (e.g. discuss the poet's use of techniques and how this adds to the central concern of the poem).

Our teacher recommends you take the first half hour to analyse and make notes on the text, and the remaining hour to write the essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM_1998)
    Step 1 - open paper
    Step 2 - cry

After that glance over each genre before deciding on one, look at the question so you know what to look for, and then read the passage through closely - highlighting any techniques that seem immediately obvious and applicable to the question.

My class has been told to avoid prose non-fiction as we haven't studied it at all and haven't been taught any of the techniques we would have to talk about. However with regards to poetry there's the usual structure, sound, imagery, tone, persona etc etc. With short stories, setting, character, imagery, narrative structure, narrative stance etc. And for drama: lighting, characterisation, dialogue, sound, props etc etc.

It's basically just an exercise in noticing all the things you would be taught in class if you were studying that genre in one hour and thirty minutes, and then squishing it into an essay, as the SQA tend to leave the essay questions quite vague and open (e.g. discuss the poet's use of techniques and how this adds to the central concern of the poem).

Our teacher recommends you take the first half hour to analyse and make notes on the text, and the remaining hour to write the essay.
    Thanks - this is super helpful! Good luck to you on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM_1998)
    Step 1 - open paper
    Step 2 - cry

Are you sure we have to write the textual analysis in essay format? My teacher has been emphatic in saying we can just bullet point the answer (like a close reading paper).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelhkt)
    Does anyone have any tips on how to do the textual analysis paper? I am thinking of doing the prose non-fiction, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Our teacher has yet to go through a complete textual analysis with us, and I am beginning to worry!
    My teacher said to avoid the drama question as they usually expect comments on production/stage direction and students tend to this pretty poorly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wordshark)
    Are you sure we have to write the textual analysis in essay format? My teacher has been emphatic in saying we can just bullet point the answer (like a close reading paper).
    Our teacher has only offered us writing in an essay format, I'd much rather be doing it the way your teacher has taught though haha

At the top of the TA paper it states:

"Your answer should take the form of a CRITICAL ANALYSIS appropriately structured to meet the demands of your selected question."

So its the usual flimsy, unspecific trollop from the SQA. But in my mind the most appropriate structure for a critical response would be an essay 😅

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.