Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically I was set on doing a Spanish GCSE but my school took it off the options list suddenly just before I had to choose my second set of options. So long story short after 2 months of fighting with my head mistress I am permitted to have a free period to learn Spanish (and at the end of the year take a Spanish GCSE) instead of doing a GCSE or BTEC I don't want to do.

But as I'm not going to have a teacher and I don't have the money to pay for a private tutor I don't know what to do. Are there any good online courses that I could follow? Any advice from people who have done this before or that are going through a similar thing? Any revision/learning techniques?

I'm taking the GCSE next year in May or June and am using the exam board AQA.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by laurenroseh)
    So basically I was set on doing a Spanish GCSE but my school took it off the options list suddenly just before I had to choose my second set of options. So long story short after 2 months of fighting with my head mistress I am permitted to have a free period to learn Spanish (and at the end of the year take a Spanish GCSE) instead of doing a GCSE or BTEC I don't want to do.

But as I'm not going to have a teacher and I don't have the money to pay for a private tutor I don't know what to do. Are there any good online courses that I could follow? Any advice from people who have done this before or that are going through a similar thing? Any revision/learning techniques?

Hi Lauren,

That's a shame your school isn't offering Spanish, but great that you're motivated to go it alone. We have a number of articles on our site that give advice about taking GCSE Spanish - you may be interested in reading them:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/gcse-spanish-tutors

One of our tutors has also recommended the following books, which sound relevant to your situation:

GCSE Spanish for AQA Grammar Workbook
    GCSE Spanish AQA Exam Skills Workbook Higher
    Mira AQA GCSE Spanish 14-16 resources

Good luck with your studies!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi! I moved this thread to the Foreign Languages forum - you're more likely to get some responses there

ReputationRep:

Ask people from your school if they have done it for gcse and what is the stuff they have to learn.
    keep learning spanish vocab as this will help you with your reading.

here is a website which is really good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/spanish/

if you can get a spanish tutor or go after school to learn some Spanish from a spanish teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I sat spanish gcse last year and currently doing spanish at AS. I guess I could guide you a little bit in my free time. I'm a "native speaker". I could check your essays for you or your work for example, give you some tips maybe and you can always ask me any questions and I will try to answer and help you.

You can message me on here or I can give you my email adress if you prefer that.

Lots of love, Vic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well...i recommend you start watching Spanish movies or TV shows because that'll help with the common words and phrases they use plus they're also very entertaining...

if you go on YouTube and find a channel called Telemundo ...they have a lot of shows on there and if you turn on the CC (captions) most of them have eng subs.

You can even watch movies such as "tres metros sobre el cielo" because this will motivate you even more to learn so you can understand what they're saying.

I'm currently doing French GCSE and I regret taking it because I actually wanted to do Spanish but that was no option for me at school so after a few months and exams ...I'm free to learn Spanish which have some similar words with French (so I guess taking French has some benefits)

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Try these apps:
    Duolingo
    HelloTalk
    Memrise
    iTranslate

And listen to a podcast called Notes in Spanish!

Spanish is an easy GCSE to teach yourself. Just practice little and often and learn the language!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.