Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what point do you take time off work (either short or long term) for mental health reasons?

I'm really reaching a point where getting through a days work is taking more than I feel I have and the stress of going in and knowing I have to go in tomorrow is overwhelming me to the point I can barely function outside of work and basically shut myself in my room and lie in bed crying all night. I've been bordering on panic attacks and crying several times at work but I just keep pushing through. I don't want anyone at work to know how bad things are but I'm also worried about getting caught lying when I say why I've been off.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At what point do you take time off work (either short or long term) for mental health reasons?

I'm really reaching a point where getting through a days work is taking more than I feel I have and the stress of going in and knowing I have to go in tomorrow is overwhelming me to the point I can barely function outside of work and basically shut myself in my room and lie in bed crying all night. I've been bordering on panic attacks and crying several times at work but I just keep pushing through. I don't want anyone at work to know how bad things are but I'm also worried about getting caught lying when I say why I've been off.
    Hi

Sorry you've not been feeling great! Obviously if one morning you really can't, then you're able to take a sick day, and take sick days for up to 7 consecutive days without a note from the doctor. If you feel you still need time off, then you'll need to visit your GP and talk to them about more time off if that's needed.

Definitely go and see your GP and I really do hope you can get some help sorted so you can feel better!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.