The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Multiculturalism
Do you ever feel guilty because of your incredible privileges? I'm assuming you are white

That is both classist and racist, good job, you played yourself.
Original post by IAmNero
That is both classist and racist, good job, you played yourself.

Its neither; do you deny that white people and privately educated people have huge advantages over minorities at state schools? Why else would they pay £10,000s of money per year if it didn't give them an advantage?

Edit: Just remembered who you are. And who is in your avatar. I won't be responding to you anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
Its neither; do you deny that white people and privately educated people have huge advantages over minorities at state schools? Why else would they pay £10,000s of money per year if it didn't give them an advantage?

What privileges do white people have? I will answer that; none. And your statement was racist because you segregated white people into a group that were inherently different, this happened in the past, it was called the Apartheid.

Those who are privately educated are at no inherent advantage because the simple fact is that the ability to learn is based on the person not on the school, teachers at private schools are usually better because they have the motivation to do better because they get better benefits, but if someone is unintelligent then it will lend them no favors.
Original post by IAmNero
What privileges do white people have? I will answer that; none. And your statement was racist because you segregated white people into a group that were inherently different, this happened in the past, it was called the Apartheid.

Those who are privately educated are at no inherent advantage because the simple fact is that the ability to learn is based on the person not on the school, teachers at private schools are usually better because they have the motivation to do better because they get better benefits, but if someone is unintelligent then it will lend them no favors.

Do you even live on the same planet or? It's one thing not to harp on about privileges but to deny blatant societal privilege is just ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by Princepieman
Do you even live on the same planet or?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asians earn more than white people on the whole. The majority of degrees are held by Asians. In the UK most homeless people are white. Majority of suicide victims are white.

Yes, I do.

And if you are gonna mention slaves, also research the Barbary slave trade and get back to me.

I assume by societal privilege you mean being told I am privileged with no evidence or facts whatsoever?
If you go to private school and don't go to Oxbridge/LSE/ICL after, then your parents have wasted their money.

Edit: Just remembered who you are. And who is in your avatar. I won't be responding to you anymore.

Minorities actually do much better than white children (specifically boys) at state schools.
Original post by anonwinner
If you go to private school and don't go to Oxbridge/LSE/ICL after, then your parents have wasted their money.

Tbf from an academic viewpoint its a waste of money in the first place especially when so many state schoolers outperform them despite being handicapped by at least £12 and hour on average. I'd probably say that at A2 Level this is probably less of a problem since at that stage, teaching has no effect on outcomes but certainly at GCSE and AS, if that sort of advantage has to be sought just to get to uni when others can do without, then its clear who is going to do better at uni haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IAmNero
Asians earn more than white people on the whole. The majority of degrees are held by Asians. In the UK most homeless people are white. Majority of suicide victims are white.

Yes, I do.

And if you are gonna mention slaves, also research the Barbary slave trade and get back to me.

I assume by societal privilege you mean being told I am privileged with no evidence or facts whatsoever?

No, it's the psychological subtle characterisations of someone a different skin colour. Even the minorities now have it engrained in them that if they see say, a group of black guys they should feel scared simply because they're black. The same doesn't happen (subconsciously) for a group of white guys. At interviews for jobs this happens, when people are assessing others for performance they'll have this unconscious bias, when people are dating this happens. I'm sorry but it is absolutely absurd to not recognise any privilege as a white person.

What's even worse is when people who are indeed privileged can't see it - they refuse to for a second understand the subtle biases because it doesn't apply to them. Like I said, harping on about it is pointless but please don't for a second even dismiss the fact that you are. As I acknowledge that my upbringing has given me privileges, you should accept the fact that you have no immediate unconscious biases set against you.

As for your Asians comment, that's not accurate. Even then, this isn't educational privileges I'm talking about but the reality most people have to accept and live in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you ever feel guilty because of your incredible privileges? I'm assuming you are white

Lol, what on earth? I'm black, went to a private school, do I get a pass on feeling 'guilty' because I'm not white then? My dad went to a public school back in Africa, so you know it wasn't great, studied his ass off and got a scholarship to come to England and study. Even then, he "only" got a scholarship from Essex, but again he worked his ass off in his undergrad and then got a masters overseas, and after that he got a great job.

Should he feel guilty for not having nothing even after all his work? Should I feel guilty for the fact that he has worked his whole life to put my sister and I in the best environment possible for us and has forgone multiple opportunities in order to give us as much stability as possible? It wasn't handed to him, and tbf I feel if he can make it from where we're from, anyone is capable. Maybe I have a different viewpoint because where I grew up, private schools were necessary for foreign kids like me, but I will never get this British stigma of people who went to private school vs. those who didn't. Some parents have actually worked and struggled to give the best they can for their kids, how is that something to feel guilty over?

You can make it out of the public system just as easily as you can totally "waste" private education. My ex went to a small public Dutch school and is studying at Oxford for her post grad, meanwhile I had a classmate (one of the dumbest people I know) who studied at Oxford Brookes. Go figure :tongue:
Original post by alexschmalex
Lol, what on earth? I'm black, went to a private school, do I get a pass on feeling 'guilty' because I'm not white then? My dad went to a public school back in Africa, so you know it wasn't great, studied his ass off and got a scholarship to come to England and study. Even then, he "only" got a scholarship from Essex, but again he worked his ass off in his undergrad and then got a masters overseas, and after that he got a great job.

Should he feel guilty for not having nothing even after all his work? Should I feel guilty for the fact that he has worked his whole life to put my sister and I in the best environment possible for us and has forgone multiple opportunities in order to give us as much stability as possible? It wasn't handed to him, and tbf I feel if he can make it from where we're from, anyone is capable. Maybe I have a different viewpoint because where I grew up, private schools were necessary for foreign kids like me, but I will never get this British stigma of people who went to private school vs. those who didn't. Some parents have actually worked and struggled to give the best they can for their kids, how is that something to feel guilty over?

You can make it out of the public system just as easily as you can totally "waste" private education. My ex went to a small public Dutch school and is studying at Oxford for her post grad, meanwhile I had a classmate (one of the dumbest people I know) who studied at Oxford Brookes. Go figure :tongue:

Holy crap, same..

My dad even had to carry his own chair into a secondary school which was 5 miles away from where he lived, by foot. He helped tutor others in his spare time, he even started giving classes to the little kids in the surrounding area because they didn't have access to any form of education. Through all of his efforts he got a scholarship from a local millionaire - guess what he did? Spent it on building a school and hiring teachers for the aforementioned kids. All before he was of university going age.

At uni, he came top of the class in everything and had a lot of admiration from (both from staff and students) for how humble he was despite doing so well. Cue final year of uni: every oil company lined up to offer him jobs after university, most of these jobs being overseas with hefty expat packages.

The takeaway for me is, I was pushed as a kid and inspired by people like my mom and dad because of their hard work. Even though my dad passed away, that same admiration is still present.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexschmalex
Lol, what on earth? I'm black, went to a private school, do I get a pass on feeling 'guilty' because I'm not white then?

No, but you're unfortunately going to be discriminated against after school, so it cancels out the effect of private education

You can make it out of the public system just as easily as you can totally "waste" private education.

Public schools = private schools in the uk

I think you mean the state comprehensive school system
do you get power showers in private schools? Are they real? Can you give me one? ? p.s burn the immigrants
Original post by IAmNero

Yes, I do.

Do we live on the same planet?

Like, are you serious?

You're so ignorant!

It's 2016 (the current year)!

WHITE MALE
Minorities actually do much better than white children (specifically boys) at state schools.

Do you think that it is the motivation to perform better in order to be considered "average." I personally know people from ethnic minorities, who felt the pressure to be just that bit better than their counterpart.

A good friend of mine, who went to Oxbridge, grew up in a dodgy area of London. He was state-school educated and confessed that he had to work really hard to get by. He did not want to be another statistic of 'black boy in a London gang'.
Original post by TomAllison98
do you get power showers in private schools? Are they real? Can you give me one? ? p.s burn the immigrants

'p.s burn the immigrants'???

^^^ What dooes that mean?
Original post by Wired_1800
Do you think that it is the motivation to perform better in order to be considered "average." I personally know people from ethnic minorities, who felt the pressure to be just that bit better than their counterpart.

A good friend of mine, who went to Oxbridge, grew up in a dodgy area of London. He was state-school educated and confessed that he had to work really hard to get by. He did not want to be another statistic of 'black boy in a London gang'.

It's because there is so much extra help and funding for minorities throughout their childhood and education (and beyond) whereas there is absolute no help for working class white children.
It's because there is so much extra help and funding for minorities throughout their childhood and education (and beyond) whereas there is absolute no help for working class white children.

That's because more doors are open for white people and racism is a live and well as is white supremacy.
There has to be help for minorities otherwise there would be inequality
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
That's because more doors are open for white people and racism is a live and well as is white supremacy.
There has to be help for minorities otherwise there would be inequality

There is inequality, against white people...
Original post by Trapz99
Even if I can afford it, I'd rather save the money unless I was a millionaire or someone really rich. If I was earning something more normal like £250000 I probably wouldn't send my kids to a private school because the benefits of it just don't really seem worth it to me.

I'm sorry in what world is 250k "normal"? I think this is considered anastronomical income given the current state of affairs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest