Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I realise now that I've always hated my family. I hate the way the treat me like I'm a **** head, I hate the way I get hit by my mum for no ****ing reason, I hate the reason I get treated like an outsider when I am one of the oldest kids here. My siblings(5 of them, 2 older and 3 younger) get pissed that I shout at my mum regularly- it's because I am sick of life and being part of this family.

I started to argue with my mum a lot after I found out my GCSE results- everyone in my house thought I was going to fail, my younger sister said to me 'I hope you fail', my mum regulary said I'm brain damaged as well as my older sisters. When they found out, they were shocked and said sorry for thinking I'm thick. I told my mum to stop calling me brain damaged and she quickly agreed.

Currently I'm doing my AS levels, I realised that no one here actually gives 2 shits about me. There were some moments when I actually considered of committing suicide but I choose not to. My mum always wants to know where I am, who I'm with and why I come late from school. She doesn't care if it's my other siblings but it's only me. My older sister is lucky because she's away from this *****y place.

I've gone depressed but I contain my depression at school, it's only moments when I really how ****ed up my life actually is. None of my friends know I'm neglected, hate my ****ing life and how **** my family is - only a few know less than 20% of it(generally the happy parts from years ago).

All I'm going to do is focus on my A levels, get banging grades and go uni and never keep contact with anyone here(maybe, 1 sibling). Do you think I'm over-reacting? I'm not sure whether or not I should become an estranged daughter.

I had a similar experience when i dropped my mothers favourite teapot. However after this it became fine. I don't think this helped but I tried my best.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I had a similar experience when i dropped my mothers favourite teapot. However after this it became fine. I don't think this helped but I tried my best.
    Yeah I feel like that sometimes but there are points when I realise how much I despise them. The hate is so much that I lie about my life sometimes.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You dont get to choose your family. Imo go the route of minimum conflict, go to uni and you cna have a different life where you cna see your family from afar. You will then have more control as to how much involved you are with them. the grades give you choicce, so work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Go uni, get a new family and then decide which ones of your old one you want to keep.

I don't accept the 'family is blood therefore you put up with them' nonsense, my family will respect me until long after i'm dead or i'll cut them out of my life and will.

ReputationRep:
    Keep your head focused on getting those grades, and don't let anything or anyone sabotage your progress.

It's going to get a lot better, and really quite soon, so give yourself the best possible chance, with or without anyone else's support.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You dont get to choose your family. Imo go the route of minimum conflict, go to uni and you cna have a different life where you cna see your family from afar. You will then have more control as to how much involved you are with them. the grades give you choicce, so work hard.
    When I try to stop arguing, they start something that really irritates me. Like I'm stupid or why I'm so brain-damaged. It really affects me emotionally; I know I should get over it but it's hard as you grow up.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob)
    Go uni, get a new family and then decide which ones of your old one you want to keep.

I don't accept the 'family is blood therefore you put up with them' nonsense, my family will respect me until long after i'm dead or i'll cut them out of my life and will.
    I'll try but thanks for the advice- I'll change my personality completely at home.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Keep your head focused on getting those grades, and don't let anything or anyone sabotage your progress.

It's going to get a lot better, and really quite soon, so give yourself the best possible chance, with or without anyone else's support.
    That actually made me smile, thanks! Have you ever considered of being a therapist? I'll actually give you money but I really can't be asked.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Defraction)
    When I try to stop arguing, they start something that really irritates me. Like I'm stupid or why I'm so brain-damaged. It really affects me emotionally; I know I should get over it but it's hard as you grow up.
    Its not a case of getting over it its a case of being smart by avoiding the situation so it doesnt affect you. You cnat choose your family, you have less choice of situations, but you cna choose how you want to react.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its not a case of getting over it its a case of being smart by avoiding the situation so it doesnt affect you. You cnat choose your family, you have less choice of situations, but you cna choose how you want to react.
    I'll alienate myself by ignoring them when they talk to me and revise in my room. I'll start by tomorrow.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'll alienate myself by ignoring them when they talk to me and revise in my room. I'll start by tomorrow.
    You dont have to ignore them , you just adopt a mode of behaviour that gives them minimum chance to come back at you.

Uhhhhh Somali parents.
    Trust me they want the best for you . Maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Hey look on the bright side, when your *****y mum is dying of cancer in hospital, she can do it alone knowing her Son hates her. Forget them, its easy to forget those you hate. Then you can prosper with your career or something like that

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry your going through this, I kinda know how you feel, though then again I kinda don't.

I hope things look up for you, and I hope you find some friends who can quickly replace your family (I know I have!! Eventhough they're in a different country to me, I've never felt closer to a group of people in my life). Just set your own goals and strive to achieve them, you obviously are a pretty bright student and I'm sure you'll be able to get the grades and show them how amazing you can be (and you've already done that with your GCSE grades!!)

Also, once you've got your degree and you're rolling in cash, you can always rub it in their face if you want to (;
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Uhhhhh Somali parents.
    Trust me they want the best for you . Maybe?
    Raaa, this is bare weird. It's gone kind of better now

ReputationRep:
    I realise now that I've always hated my family. I hate the way the treat me like I'm a **** head, I hate the way I get hit by my mum for no ****ing reason, I hate the reason I get treated like an outsider when I am one of the oldest kids here. My siblings(5 of them, 2 older and 3 younger) get pissed that I shout at my mum regularly- it's because I am sick of life and being part of this family.

I started to argue with my mum a lot after I found out my GCSE results- everyone in my house thought I was going to fail, my younger sister said to me 'I hope you fail', my mum regulary said I'm brain damaged as well as my older sisters. When they found out, they were shocked and said sorry for thinking I'm thick. I told my mum to stop calling me brain damaged and she quickly agreed.

Currently I'm doing my AS levels, I realised that no one here actually gives 2 shits about me. There were some moments when I actually considered of committing suicide but I choose not to. My mum always wants to know where I am, who I'm with and why I come late from school. She doesn't care if it's my other siblings but it's only me. My older sister is lucky because she's away from this *****y place.

I've gone depressed but I contain my depression at school, it's only moments when I really how ****ed up my life actually is. None of my friends know I'm neglected, hate my ****ing life and how **** my family is - only a few know less than 20% of it(generally the happy parts from years ago).

All I'm going to do is focus on my A levels, get banging grades and go uni and never keep contact with anyone here(maybe, 1 sibling). Do you think I'm over-reacting? I'm not sure whether or not I should become an estranged daughter.
    my friend had a similar experience with his parent, it escalated quickly and ended up with him being kicked out. You should have a heart to heart with your mum. Sit down with her, tell her how you feel, remember the key here is too listen and respect what shes saying and vice versa, Im 99% sure if you do this you two will be calm
    Spoiler:
    Show
    at the end of the day your family is looking out for you and loves you

ReputationRep:
    This is so relatable, to be honest, I came here looking for some advice I actually feel like killing myself. I'mm not allowed to go somewhere or just going to town but my younger sister can go wherever the hell she wants! I hate my family so much! They're the reason I get bullied or I can't concentrate at school.

It sounds as though the problem may be whether you can get away from them. I mean, if the relationship is negative it wouldn't mean that things couldn't be lots better if you got away from them, if other relationships in your life are better, would that be fair to say?

I am someone who has got stuck with family and whilst they sound way better than yours, it can take your life away-try not to let this happen

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.