Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have been struggling a lot with these three universities.I wish to do electrical and electronics engineering in uni, my problem with picking Southampton is that they are not really keen on getting students to do a year in industry. They also give little information on things students who graduated tend to do as they start working and there overall ranking is lower than the other two. But for EEE they are very prestigious, their city isn't as good as London but its nice all the same, i like it a bit more after leaving.

Going to surrey I didn't really like it, however they are keen on students doing a year in industry. They also have a closed campus which i surprisingly didn't like that much. They have also dropped in electrical and electronics engineering this year however still in top 10. I do like the fact that its close to London but surrey itself isnt really nice

Bath; well people love it here and it just seems like it wouldnt be a bad idea even though they are 12th for EEE since their overall score has also fallen but they are also keen on working in industry for 1 year. Lovely city and just really high student satifaction

ReputationRep:
    To give a point of view of someone at a similar prestige uni, don't place so much emphasis on ability to do a year in industry. It sounds like a great idea but the reality of it is there's no where near enough places and the only uni I've heard of which gets a lot of people into them is Bath, which as far as I can tell it doesn't give their grads that much of an advantage, if any, over those from similar unis. The advice I always hear is years in industry don't help you get a job, they help you get a better job, even then I'd argue it's debatable because I've seen a few courses on unistats where the YIN version has a lower average salary than the standard course.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Heya, I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for you.

I think ranking is only a little bit important outside of the really big unis so don't let your decision be influenced too much by it - as far as I am concerned, those 3 are all good universities.

Things like student satisfaction, being able to go on a placement year etc are more important. I'm a second year Maths student with placement at Bath and I enjoy it here. If I didn't, I think I would have given up and left. So just weigh everything up, see which one you think you'd enjoy being at the most and go for that one.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the help If anyone has any other advice i would really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.