username2283975
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was wondering if you guys have any tips for answering questions 2 and 3 on the extended paper
pixiefuller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's another thread on here about the IGCSE English paper, so check that out!
You can ask your question there if you want since there are more people.
imHappy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pro4TLZZ)
I was wondering if you guys have any tips for answering questions 2 and 3 on the extended paper
Hi, I am also sitting this paper. I think question 2 is picking out direct quotes from the passage, for 15 marks?

And question 3, is explaining the effects of certain words/phrases from the passage.

So try and pick the most "interesting" words/phrases. It is quite obvious which words the examiners want you to pick because they are mostly metaphors or personified words etc.

Then just analyse those words/phrases in your head while picking them from the passage and explain how they have an effect.
2016examsbl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Q2 - Talk about semantic fields within the paragraph
- pick 2 quotes that contain imagery (similes, metaphors, personification) and analyse them
- pick 2 quotes and analyse them
- Quotes should be no longer than 6 words
Do it twice one for part A and one for part B

Q3a - go through the passage and highlight any points that might be correct, then label it up e.g. 1, 2, 3..... And make sure there is no repeating points or too many ideas on one line.

Q3b - Group your 15 points into 3 groups that have a close link. In each paragraph have a topic sentence. Be clinical and do not change the form. E.g. Selling what is in passage B. Make sure you are within the word limit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
16.67%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (53)
31.55%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (19)
11.31%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.17%
I think it's an unfair expectation (42)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.79%

Watched Threads