Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I really need help at the moment because i want to know your thoughts on the matter. Just now i argued with my mum because i was talking to her about apprenticeships, in which she replies ''You can't do an apprenticeship, you're not mature enough, you'll just be cheap labour'' Which really annoyed me, because of the blatent disrespect and how she has no faith in me. I know you could see this as ''She's trying to make sure that you're on the right tracks for a successful life'' but it's not how i see it personally.

What should i do? Can i still apply for a apprenticeship even without her choice. Because i rather shape my own future then my own mum. I have been trying to do college courses which my mum said i should do, but i don't even know what to do for the courses except core maths.

Many thanks,

Xiom
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Perhaps she doesnt understand about apprenticeships. What does she think you ought to be doing and how old are you?

Just a word of warning all apprenticeships are not equal and imo some are cheap labour. What you wnat is one thats well organised, incorporates training and possiblt qualifications. Large employers tend to take it more seriously.

Of you arranged one then perhaps when you showed her what you would be doing that might convince her? Does she want you to go to uni?

ReputationRep:
    Well i personally don't know if she does understand fully, but she teaches someone at her job on apprenticeships and saying how it's tough work for the person and i say to her ''I know it's though work but i want to do it'' But she never listens to me.

She doesn't care if i go to university or not. She just cares on where i go after my GCSEs, and my age is 15 in year 11.

I'm planning to just do a job as a Computer Technician and I've made sure that i won't be cheap labour as i look for apprenticeships that require a certain degree of GCSE's but also the wage and qualifications that i will get in my apprenticeship.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    15 is very young to be planning it imo. thats probably what she is worried about. Try and join a good company.

ReputationRep:
    When i talk to her, she says that i'll forget my tasks which really irritated to me, as i would take my first job quite seriously, and i would be persistent in the company looking for tasks that people haven't done.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her about the net 60k student debt accrued of which 100% plus interest rate charged on top of what you borrowed.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ask her what it is she expects you to do. I fet the feeling she just whats the best for you, but I repeat you should realise some apprenticehips are rubbish whereas others can give you a career. It wont be a bad idea if you cna do A levels or soemthing at college. You could do an apprenticehip after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xiombane)
    I'm planning to just do a job as a Computer Technician and I've made sure that I won't be cheap labour as I look for apprenticeships that require a certain degree of GCSE's but also the wage and qualifications that I will get in my apprenticeship.
    I don't see the problem as long as you do it somewhere useful like IBM or Cisco. I have met people who do apprenticeships at IBM and Cisco and they very much enjoy it.
    Even if you don't apply now you can always apply after spending 2 years at a sixth form/college doing A Level's or a BTEC (or a mix of both) - it's an extra set of qualifications and you'll have a chance to look into other career's before making your final choice (and you'll be more mature) ;P

ReputationRep:
    Well i personally don't know if she does understand fully, but she teaches someone at her job on apprenticeships and saying how it's tough work for the person and i say to her ''I know it's though work but i want to do it'' But she never listens to me.

She doesn't care if i go to university or not. She just cares on where i go after my GCSEs, and my age is 15 in year 11.

I'm planning to just do a job as a Computer Technician and I've made sure that i won't be cheap labour as i look for apprenticeships that require a certain degree of GCSE's but also the wage and qualifications that i will get in my apprenticeship.
    Honestly, although i dont agree with parents tryimg to decide your future for you, she does sort of have a point, with school leaver apprenticships (level 2) even with good gcses a lot of them just do it for cheap labour, abd if you want to be an IT Technician you would be better off doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT making you a qualified IT practitioner which would allow you to walk into a technician job as well as give you a load more skills on top of what an IT tech can do, also it would qualify you to do a Higher apprenticship which would give you a better salary instantly and in most cases they invest a lot of money into your training and as someone mentioned big companies like IBM would offer these and would make it more worthwhile you doing something like this, other companies that require A levels or equivalent (e.g. BTEC) for their apprenticships include CGI, BAE Systems, Capgemini and John Lewis all very good companies and pretty much all of these pay to put you through a BSc degree in Digital Technology Solutions which you would have for life instatly putting you in a higher category if you went to apply for another job elsewhere, also continuing your education you also would have the opportunity to go to university which would help you climb the ladder a LOT quicker compared to doing an entry level IT apprenticeship straight from school, but personally I think the Higher Apprenticship is the best option, have a look at the companies that I mentioned and see what you think?

Hope this helps
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi guys,

I really need help at the moment because i want to know your thoughts on the matter. Just now i argued with my mum because i was talking to her about apprenticeships, in which she replies ''You can't do an apprenticeship, you're not mature enough, you'll just be cheap labour'' Which really annoyed me, because of the blatent disrespect and how she has no faith in me. I know you could see this as ''She's trying to make sure that you're on the right tracks for a successful life'' but it's not how i see it personally.

What should i do? Can i still apply for a apprenticeship even without her choice. Because i rather shape my own future then my own mum. I have been trying to do college courses which my mum said i should do, but i don't even know what to do for the courses except core maths.

Many thanks,

Xiom
    Hi Xiom;

When I was doing my GCSEs and A-Levels I never wanted to go to Uni, I have always wanted to do an apprenticeship because it was an opportunity to earn while you learn and gain experience in the working world.

IBM offers a Apprenticeship program for after A-level you only need 160 UCAS points in anything you want so do subjects you enjoy and are good at.

IBM offers a Business or Technical Level 4 Diploma. This is the equivalent to the first year at Uni. It will give you an opportunity to work at a highly respected company while you gain a respected qualification. You are treated like and IBMer from day one of joining the company, they do want you to be here.

I don't know what specific thing you want to go into, but just know that there is a lot of opportunities for you in Apprenticeships you could always try
    http://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/ if you want more options.

Do follow what you think is right for your future, maybe take your mum to open days or workshops about apprenticeships so she can see that they are a good option.

I hope this helped, If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck in the future

Amy

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's what you want to do, then just do it.
    Show your mum some apprenticeships, just show her the BAE/JLR/BMW apprenticeships, and she'll understand very quickly that they're not just using you for "cheap labour" and there's a good structure to them.

It seems more like she has misconceptions from a time gone by. There are still bad apprenticeships out there, but bigger companies are seeing the value in them, and some are doing a good job.

ReputationRep:
    Despite apprenticeships being open to 15+, it may be a good option for you to mature yourself and gain a little more knowledge via A Levels before embarking on an apprenticeship. During A Levels you'll be conditioned to stress and in the end you're not gonna be messing up a company by making mistakes, it'll only impact you. A Levels may also be on the same education level as an apprenticeship so you'll not only be more mature but you'll also be a little more knowledgeable and therefore good at your job once it comes around. Plus, big companies tend to not hire anyone younger than 15, and as apprenticeships are for those up to the age of 24, you can easily be eligible for the big companies when you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for all the responses i honestly do appreciate them and had a proper read through. Since 1 in a half weeks i've discussed with my mum and i'm doing BTECs instead of apprenticeships first so i can show to my employers in the apprenticeship that i know what to do in the work environment, and to get more money in the long run for the apprenticeship as i'll have 'A Level' qualifications which will lead me onto doing higher apprenticeships!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks guys for all the responses i honestly do appreciate them and had a proper read through. Since 1 in a half weeks i've discussed with my mum and i'm doing BTECs instead of apprenticeships first so i can show to my employers in the apprenticeship that i know what to do in the work environment, and to get more money in the long run for the apprenticeship as i'll have 'A Level' qualifications which will lead me onto doing higher apprenticeships!
    That makes much more sense. Also well done for discussing it with your mum.

ReputationRep:
    Many larger companies run open apprentice evenings or attend careers fairs. Suggest you take your Mum to one of these. Also investigate higher / degree apprenticeships for post A Level. Try to get feedback from Apprentices at the company you want to work for. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I first considered doing an apprenticeship when I was 14 (I'm now 17). I wanted to do an apprenticeship in Racehorse Care and Management with the British Racing School because I want to be a jockey. My mum said you don't need that and that you need a degree. Well, in June I have an interview at Racing School for the apprenticeship, I've managed to convince my mum to let me do it. At the end of day it is your decision, you don't want to be stuck doing something that really doesn't interest you. Do as much research on the apprenticeship that you want to do, consider a back up plan, look at the career options available and weigh that up against going to university. If you do an apprenticeship you get paid and you get hands on experience in your chosen industry. Write everything down and present to your mum in a clear way. Also talk to your teachers/career advisors at school/college and they can help you find the best thing for you. Seriously, don't let your mum decide your career path because it isn't her career, you don't want to do something that you regret! Hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:

Not to be rude but why not go for A levels including one in ICT or computer science or whatever one interests you the most that is relevant, and then do an apprenticeship afterwards

I can very well imagine that as a computer technician companies and people will look down on you if you don't have A levels.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Just seen the IBM post by Amy. If you want to do an apprenticeship, then that is the sort of thing you should look for. You will get an excellent name on your CV plus training and they will take it seriously. You should keep in touch with her.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.