Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently in a bit of a difficult situation trying to decide which uni to firm. I've received offers from King College London, Southampton, East Anglia and St George's for Medicine and have now reached a knot...

Most people I have spoken to have recommended Kings for Medicine, however having lived in London my whole life, I'm wondering if I should try living in a different city?

Moreover, I'm also wondering if people (medical students especially) would recommend taking a gap year and applying for a deferred entry so that I can have a bit of a break before the horrors of medical school (ahh) lol
    I really want to go travelling and get a job to save up a bit but I dont want to feel like i'm wasting a year of y life while my friends are enjoying uni and freshers :/ What do you guys think?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedspecimen)
    Hi,
    I'm currently in a bit of a difficult situation trying to decide which uni to firm. I've received offers from King College London, Southampton, East Anglia and St George's for Medicine and have now reached a knot...

Most people I have spoken to have recommended Kings for Medicine, however having lived in London my whole life, I'm wondering if I should try living in a different city?

Moreover, I'm also wondering if people (medical students especially) would recommend taking a gap year and applying for a deferred entry so that I can have a bit of a break before the horrors of medical school (ahh) lol
    I really want to go travelling and get a job to save up a bit but I dont want to feel like i'm wasting a year of y life while my friends are enjoying uni and freshers :/ What do you guys think?
    Thanks
    What were ur grades and UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonnyss)
    What were ur grades and UKCAT?
    UKCAT 690
    Grades 11A* 4A @ GCSE
    4As 1C @ AS

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Hi, I have also received an offer to study at King's! I've lived in London for most of my life so I can totally relate as I don't know whether I want to try and see what life is like in a different city too.

Deferring would be great because as you probably know, London is very expensive, especially the accommodation at Kings! So deferring would give you a chance to help you support yourself at Uni. Deferring also means a break! You'll be spending 5/6 years of intensive studying and it's very unlikely you'll get a full years worth of a break. So to put it bluntly, this could very much be your last chance at a well earned break!

On the other hand, you might fall out with your study skills and learning and getting back into the swing of things could be very difficult!

I don't think the idea of being 'older' should put you off. Some people may be gap year students, graduate entry students etc. I highly doubt age will be such a limiting factor in you engaging with others etc.

Ultimately this is your choice! As you've mentioned I think a medical student would be the better person to answer this question xD

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jalouise)
    Hi, I have also received an offer to study at King's! I've lived in London for most of my life so I can totally relate as I don't know whether I want to try and see what life is like in a different city too.

Deferring would be great because as you probably know, London is very expensive, especially the accommodation at Kings! So deferring would give you a chance to help you support yourself at Uni. Deferring also means a break! You'll be spending 5/6 years of intensive studying and it's very unlikely you'll get a full years worth of a break. So to put it bluntly, this could very much be your last chance at a well earned break!

On the other hand, you might fall out with your study skills and learning and getting back into the swing of things could be very difficult!

I don't think the idea of being 'older' should put you off. Some people may be gap year students, graduate entry students etc. I highly doubt age will be such a limiting factor in you engaging with others etc.

Ultimately this is your choice! As you've mentioned I think a medical student would be the better person to answer this question xD

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your reply that was really helpful!

Yeah I agree, all the points that you made with regards to deferring are very true... I think I'm going to defer after all!In terms of getting back into study mode... I think (hope) that's something I'll be able to deal with hopefully...

What uni are you thinking of going to? Have you received offers from anywhere else? And what are your thoughts on going to Kings if you're a Londoner?

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply that was really helpful!

Yeah I agree, all the points that you made with regards to deferring are very true... I think I'm going to defer after all!In terms of getting back into study mode... I think (hope) that's something I'll be able to deal with hopefully...

What uni are you thinking of going to? Have you received offers from anywhere else? And what are your thoughts on going to Kings if you're a Londoner?

Thanks again!
    Yeah, I've received offers from Exeter and Nottingham as well. For my interviews I stayed in each of the cities for two days so I got the chance to look around etc. It's good a very different vibe to London, especially Exeter. Everyone was way friendlier than people here in London xD However, London is very lively and I don't think that I saw that in Exeter which out me off. However, I really love the course at Exeter, they have a human life cycle approach to medicine which I think will be a pretty great way to learn! Also, you're tested every term and King's only has end of year exams and I prefer the idea of being tested regularly.

Nottingham had a pretty similar vibe London and a lot more open and green however the course is pretty similar to King's however you can't intercalate, which is something that I am really hoping to do.

Besides the fact that King's is pretty expensive and is quite a large medical school (the biggest in the country I think) I quite like the fact offer an AKC and the only university where you can intercalate in Philosophy. (Philosophy and Medicine are too passions of mine xD!)

So I am still pretty stuck. Even though I have lived in London for awhile, I have never felt compelled to explore may areas. So maybe going to Kings may give me a different perspective of London?

Honestly I am not sure. I am constantly debating this with myself. However, I know I'll be happy if I stayed in London (excluding how expensive it is), Nottingham and Exeter will be really pushing myself outside my comfort zone but I need to decide whether that's something I am will to do.

What about you? Have you outweighed the pros/cons of each uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jalouise)
    Yeah, I've received offers from Exeter and Nottingham as well. For my interviews I stayed in each of the cities for two days so I got the chance to look around etc. It's good a very different vibe to London, especially Exeter. Everyone was way friendlier than people here in London xD However, London is very lively and I don't think that I saw that in Exeter which out me off. However, I really love the course at Exeter, they have a human life cycle approach to medicine which I think will be a pretty great way to learn! Also, you're tested every term and King's only has end of year exams and I prefer the idea of being tested regularly.

Nottingham had a pretty similar vibe London and a lot more open and green however the course is pretty similar to King's however you can't intercalate, which is something that I am really hoping to do.

Besides the fact that King's is pretty expensive and is quite a large medical school (the biggest in the country I think) I quite like the fact offer an AKC and the only university where you can intercalate in Philosophy. (Philosophy and Medicine are too passions of mine xD!)

So I am still pretty stuck. Even though I have lived in London for awhile, I have never felt compelled to explore may areas. So maybe going to Kings may give me a different perspective of London?

Honestly I am not sure. I am constantly debating this with myself. However, I know I'll be happy if I stayed in London (excluding how expensive it is), Nottingham and Exeter will be really pushing myself outside my comfort zone but I need to decide whether that's something I am will to do.

What about you? Have you outweighed the pros/cons of each uni?
    Wow, firstly congratulations for your offers!!

Honestly it's insane how much I could relate to what you're saying- I agree with all of it.

Like you said, life in London can be pretty hectic and busy, and yes the people aren't exactly the happiest around here lol... But when I think about it in the long term, I do actually love London as a city and the idea of living right in the heart of it really excites me. When I think about it, it's quite unlikely that I'll ever be able to live right in the centre of London in the future again, given the ridiculous expenses so honestly I think this is a great opportunity. Also, if I ever wanted to go abroad, to be able to say "I went to medical school in London" or "I went to the largest medical school in Europe (I think)" is a real privilege in my opinion. Moreover, London life is less likely to get boring after while as there'll always be something to do, new people to meet and sights to visit all year round! I don't think I can say quite the same for other universities, and when I think about spending 5 (probably 6) years of my life in uni, I really want to make it worthwhile.

On the other hand though, I've lived in London for a while so the idea of going to another uni outside London and seeing another city is also quite cool... But I think I'm leaning more towards Kings now.

I decided to defer my entry today!! So I'll be starting in Sept 2017 (hopefully if I get the grades :// )

This is going to sound so weird but I'm honestly not kidding when I say I LOVE philosophy too! (To the point where I considered studying it at uni last year) so I'd like to take the intercalated option to study Philosophy (or similar) too!

I'm not too certain with what I'm going to finally choose though, I'm still having the same debate that you are with London vs Non London unis :/

Let me know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, firstly congratulations for your offers!!

Honestly it's insane how much I could relate to what you're saying- I agree with all of it.

Like you said, life in London can be pretty hectic and busy, and yes the people aren't exactly the happiest around here lol... But when I think about it in the long term, I do actually love London as a city and the idea of living right in the heart of it really excites me. When I think about it, it's quite unlikely that I'll ever be able to live right in the centre of London in the future again, given the ridiculous expenses so honestly I think this is a great opportunity. Also, if I ever wanted to go abroad, to be able to say "I went to medical school in London" or "I went to the largest medical school in Europe (I think)" is a real privilege in my opinion. Moreover, London life is less likely to get boring after while as there'll always be something to do, new people to meet and sights to visit all year round! I don't think I can say quite the same for other universities, and when I think about spending 5 (probably 6) years of my life in uni, I really want to make it worthwhile.

On the other hand though, I've lived in London for a while so the idea of going to another uni outside London and seeing another city is also quite cool... But I think I'm leaning more towards Kings now.

I decided to defer my entry today!! So I'll be starting in Sept 2017 (hopefully if I get the grades :// )

This is going to sound so weird but I'm honestly not kidding when I say I LOVE philosophy too! (To the point where I considered studying it at uni last year) so I'd like to take the intercalated option to study Philosophy (or similar) too!

I'm not too certain with what I'm going to finally choose though, I'm still having the same debate that you are with London vs Non London unis :/

Let me know how it goes!
    Omg! We are very similar! I considered studying it last year too haha xD

This is very difficult. I am truly grateful that I have the opportunity to choose, as I never thought I would get more than one offer in Medicine (even one would be a big surprise!).

I agree with all the point you've made. I've looked at it in the perspective of if I was a non-Londoner I would WANT to go to a uni in London based on all of the things you have listed above.

Honestly, take your time! I think I would start off by cutting it down between all my other unis. Now I am trying to choose between Exeter and King's and realise I actually want to intercalate. (Bear in mind if you want to intercalate you can intercalate at other uni's too, however I hear it's harder to do that but it's worth a shot).

Being in London would be good because of how multicultural it is here so we will be exposed to specific diseases that might effect a particular ethnicity etc. So we'll get more exposure to a lot of areas in Medicine.

I think I am thinking way too far when I say I want to do my foundation years in London...however, I feel like if I am rotating in hospitals in years 3-5 in hospitals at King's I'll be fairly familiar with these hospitals and it wouldn't be so 'new' in the foundation years.

Honestly I really don't know! I am constantly making a list in my head of For and Against.

I hope you make the right decision for you! You've already chosen that you'll be deferring, so you're half way there in making decisions.

Best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.