The Student Room Group

Changing course/uni

I'm in a bit of a complicated situation and wanted some advice about what I can do. So I have taken a gap year for personal reasons and deferred my offer to study chemical engineering at Manchester. I've always had an interest in law and wanted to make sure during this time that I was making the correct decision. After going on taster days and work experience I have come to the decision to change to study law and have transferred to law at Manchester. However with my grades (A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively) I thought that I could have perhaps been accepted at a better university for law, especially since Manchester is accepting ABB entry for law. Is there anything that I can do at this point for 2016/17 entry?
Original post by laferraz.17
I'm in a bit of a complicated situation and wanted some advice about what I can do. So I have taken a gap year for personal reasons and deferred my offer to study chemical engineering at Manchester. I've always had an interest in law and wanted to make sure during this time that I was making the correct decision. After going on taster days and work experience I have come to the decision to change to study law and have transferred to law at Manchester. However with my grades (A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively) I thought that I could have perhaps been accepted at a better university for law, especially since Manchester is accepting ABB entry for law. Is there anything that I can do at this point for 2016/17 entry?

You can't formally apply elsewhere while holding a deferred offer from Manchester.

Contact some of the universities you're interested in and ask if they would consider a late application at this stage from someone with your background. See how many respond positively and then decide if you're willing to risk your Manchester place for an alternative.
Reply 2
You certainly are right that you could do Law at a better university, but that is not to say Manchester is rubbish for Law. A fair few of their graduates get training contracts at large city and magic circle firms. The city/magic circle firms also have good links with Manchester, for example their esteemed student-run Legal Advice Centre is sponsored by the magic circle firm Linklaters and the aviation/shipping giant Clyde & Co. Their law society is also heavily sponsored by big city law firms. All of the MC and most of the major firms frequent their law fair every year. If you want to go elsewhere for Law, sure look around and apply, but if you had no option but to stay at Manchester you will not be severely disadvantaged for going into Law.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would definitely recommend contacting other universities and telling them about your circumstances.

They may not be able to tell you straight away, and might offer you a place during clearing. It is definitely worth a shot.

Good luck ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending