The Student Room Group

The current state of the training contract market

- Is it easier to get a training contract if you hold a law degree?

- Can you feel relatively safe about getting a training contract if you go to Oxbridge?

- Does the Oxbridge college matter in the application?

- How long does it generally take to get a training contract?

- What about pupillage?

From what I've read online it seems extremely hard to launch a legal career in England atm (I read there are 50+ applicants per place) which makes me a bit hesitant about accepting my offer to study law in Cambridge. At home I could get a bachelor's and master's degree in law without having to pay tutition fees, plus the career path and legal job market seem more stable. The application process for trainee placements at courts at home (Scandinavia) is solely based on university grades, so you don't have to be good at interviewing or writing cover letters. Plus they will only consider you if you hold a master's degree in law. To me it's really strange that you can work in law without a formal law degree in the UK (or just the one year GDL). Since everyone with a bachelor's degree can apply for training contracts it's obviously very competitive.

So basically I'm interested in learning more about the process of getting a training contract and what factors matter the most. I've checked a couple of law firms' websites and it seems like they are putting less focus on the university than I thought. Is this just something they write to make everyone feel like they have a chance or are they really not that interested in the reputation of your university? Same with studying law, is it really not needed? Does anyone know any official (or informal) stats on who gets a training contract? Before I started to read about the process I thought one would be pretty much guaranteed a training contract with an Oxbridge law degree, but now I feel like it might be very risky to take this path.

Also, any other internationals who could share their experience of studying and working in law in England? Are we at an advantage/disadvantage when trying to get a job, considering we speak several languages but not as good English as natives? Would you recommend getting a bachelor's degree in law in your home country and then apply for a master's at Oxbridge instead? Any help is much appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Guessing you are from Sweden, a law degree takes 4,5 years there. Not sure what you mean by " Bachelors in law". It is a doctorate in law you would get from there. You are also guaranteed to become a lawyer in Sweden while you will not become a solicitor unless you get a training contract.

Speaking a Nordic language is not too useful if you want to practise law in the UK. Foreign languages are generally not too important unless you are working with contracts from a foreign country or other particular position.

Why do you want to leave Scandinavia? Mass immigration?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi, I have a training contract at a UK City firm which I got recently so I know the market well. There is HUGE competition in the UK market because there are more applicants than ever with even more universities being targeted by US/City law firms. There are more hoops to jump through and just being at Oxbridge doesn’t mean a lot. Combined with the massive competition for both legal and non-legal work experience at top firms, it is an exercise of resilience where every firm wants you to have a ‘niche’. Mine was that I did investment banking, financial journalism and professional services work internships at top tier firms and won several competitions which enabled me to get several TC offers. If you know you have the academic strength to score top grades in Scandinavia then I would go for uni there, unless you fancy your chances in the UK where you need a lot more than just an Oxbridge degree to get into a top firm. Hope that helps.
Original post by pgfp29
Hi, I have a training contract at a UK City firm which I got recently so I know the market well. There is HUGE competition in the UK market because there are more applicants than ever with even more universities being targeted by US/City law firms. There are more hoops to jump through and just being at Oxbridge doesn’t mean a lot. Combined with the massive competition for both legal and non-legal work experience at top firms, it is an exercise of resilience where every firm wants you to have a ‘niche’. Mine was that I did investment banking, financial journalism and professional services work internships at top tier firms and won several competitions which enabled me to get several TC offers. If you know you have the academic strength to score top grades in Scandinavia then I would go for uni there, unless you fancy your chances in the UK where you need a lot more than just an Oxbridge degree to get into a top firm. Hope that helps.

can you fix the humblebrag : actual advice ratio plz :angry:
Ah I see... is this the ‘fresh TC’ point you were referring to in the other thread? Seems this guy’s just got his offer letter and has jumped on TSR to give his mighty words of wisdom to the helpless peasants!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending